Analog rebanded trunking out the box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Is there a scanner that will follow the rebanded analog systems out of the box?

Txwarn here in E harris county Texas has rebanded,
It seems that most of the analog scanners that are "reband capable" are some kind of ad-hock solution requiring different levels of vague magic to get them work.

Nothing I monitor has gone digital yet, so if I don't have to spend an extra 120.00 + I won't.

I am considering the GRE-410,
The price is right, but the entering custom tables and or upgrading firmware seems sketchy or at least intimidating and if I understand correctly this radio will require me to use 3rd party software to follow a rebanded analog trunk system? :(

Suggestions?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Uniden XT models - for analog systems, the BCT15X and the BC346XT - are rebanding ready out of the box, although there has been a few additional tweaks applied to their firmware since they were released.

However according to the database there's an analog version of TxWarn, and a P25 version. If the users in the analog version are expected to migrate to the P25 version (which, frankly, is happening all over the US), then you will eventually need a P25 scanner to hear 'em. I'd do some homework in our Texas forum before spending any cash.

best regards..MIke

Daffy

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the radio suggestions,
it's looking like I will end up wit a PSR-700.
Hopefully I'll be happy with it so when I have to go Digi I can just get the PSR-800.

I didn't really want a hand held due to my clumsiness but this one impressed me with it's features and I have never owned a GRE radio.

Thanks,
Zack.

W2PMX

The price is right, but the entering custom tables and or upgrading firmware seems sketchy or at least intimidating
And something you'll probably have to do no matter which scanner you buy. Even the PSR-800 is only capable of Motorola's version of TDMA. When the standard is out there "on the ground", there will probably be a firmware update.
and if I understand correctly this radio will require me to use 3rd party software to follow a rebanded analog trunk system?
No scanner requires software to follow any system, but those scanners for which 3rd party programming software is available seems like the better bet to me. If there's nothing available you're forced to use the manufacturer's software, whether you like it or not. (And whether it has problems or not.) Scanners with 3rd party software available give you a choice. (And in the case of Uniden scanners, Freescan is the better choice.)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
A PRO96/2096 requires software to follow a Motorola Analog "REBANDED" Trunk System!!...Its the only way to enter the tables i found out here in my city....

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
The GRE PSR-410 you mentioned is an excellent scanner. Using WIN500 software and being a Premium member here will let you download your rebanded, trunked system with the custom table included. Nothing to enter or figure out.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In point of fact, most all the popular software for all the scanners that supports the web service will set up the custom tables if the rebanded flag in the database is set.

However, doing a firmware fix is a whole 'nother ballgame

best regards..Mike

Daffy

I am pleased to report much happiness with my new PSR-700.
Took about 2 hours to get familiar with it but I found the included software easy to understand and use as well as the radio.
having the whole DB on board the radio rocks and the audio quality is much better than my bc780.

Good job GRE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.