Analog scanner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fazenut

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask for help. I have the whistler ws1010 analog scanner. I’m trying to listen to my local police. I’m located in the city of El Campo, Wharton County TX, zip code 77437. It’s only showing one frequency for my town. I’m only hearing EMS not police. I’m wondering if someone with higher knowledge than me can help me figure out if they switched to digital. I would appreciate if someone looked up my city and see for themself. Any help is appreciated. I heard the police talk one time for a brief second but haven’t heard anything else since then.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Bright side is at least its not encrypted like some of us face....

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Would the Uniden bearcat BCD325P2 be a good choice?

I don't normally recommend anything because it usually backfires, but in this case I think that's an excellent choice.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
BCD325P2 is a great entry level digital Scanner for you....Of course if you can afford the SDS-100 or SDS-200 are the best...
You can still use an App like Butel's ARC XT to import from Radio Reference into your scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN will also work, unless, at some point you purchase either the DMR or NXDN upgrades. (No public agency in your county shows to be using either of those.)
See this site for more information.
The software can be obtained using the Downloads link on that page.
There is a user guide in the Wiki.
FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

To do a direct web import from the RadioReference website, for either FreeSCAN or ARC-XT, you would need to be a Premium Subscriber.
However, FreeSCAN's EZ-Grab feature lets you capture information directly from a web page.
Another software program to consider is ProScan. ProScan and ARC=XT are both paid software packages. However, both allow a thirty day trial period before you either have to purchase a license for the software, or discontinue use. (It will quit working after the 30 day period, unless you purchase a key.)

BCD325P2 is a great entry level digital Scanner for you....Of course if you can afford the SDS-100 or SDS-200 are the best...
You can still use an App like Butel's ARC XT to import from Radio Reference into your scanner.

Also note that, while the 325P2 will work for your county, as simulcast is not used there, another scanner to consider is the BCD436HP.
Usually, the 325P2 runs about $370 on Amazon. Currently, it is listed as on sale" at $338.00, but not in stock. The 436HP is usually somewhat over $400. However, several times, since the first of the year, Amazon has dropped the price to the same ~$370 range as the 325P2. You can use Keepa or CamelCamelCamel to watch prices on Amazon. Amazon also shows the 436HP as out of stock (when sold by Amazon, though other sellers with stock are significantly higher. Currently, Amazon has the 436HP at $368.46, but projected ship time is sometime after July 4th. Amazon Warehouse currently has a "used" 436 at $350.57. The description states:
Minor cosmetic imperfection on top, front or sides of item. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

Normally, these are mostly customer returns, that are working normally. Perhaps returned because the buyer changed their mind, or did not understand how to program the scanner. The "used" scanner was showing in stock when I first started typing this reply, but now shows a projected ship date the first full week of July.

If you can get a 436HP for near the same price as a 325P2, the 436HP is a more capable scanner, with features not found on the 325.

jasday

I will caution you, my 324p2 does not handle the simulcast distortion well at all on the Denton County TX and the Fort Worth Tx system. Its cheap enough that its worth a shot, but just beware that it may not work.

I have pretty much given up on listening to the P25 systems in the area and only monitor one Moto Analog and one DMR system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Fortunately for the OP, Wharton County only has a single site, and is not simulcast. So the 325P2 should handle that. Now, if the OP goes east, into Brazoria County, or northeast, in Ft. Bend, all bets are off, because simulcast is used in those counties. And, of course, Harris County i(farther east) is the Bermuda Triangle for scanners that cannot deal with simulcast systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.