Analog scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

My aunt is looking to purchase a portable scanner, new or used, so she can monitor local police and fire radio. Her area does not have any digital users, nor do they have any plans to migrate to digital in the near future. She will need PL capability so that she does not encounter any interference, birdies, etc. Most of the users in her area run VHF high and UHF frequencies. Can anyone provide me with some model numbers of portable analog scanners with PL capability? Thanks!

Nasby

I second the the GRE 310 as an excellent choice. I like the Radio Shack PRO-164/PRO-163 also made by GRE for Radio Shack they are excellent scanners. But always wait til they go on sale.
Another nice choice is the PRO-97 which can be found on Ebay at a lower price (in case you are on a tight budget).
Good Luck!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
GRE PSR-310 is an excellent choice. You might save a few dollars with an older PSR-300. Both work well with regard to CT decoding. The PSR-310 is an updated model to handle narrowbanding.

SCPD

QRT
My aunt is looking to purchase a portable scanner, new or used, so she can monitor local police and fire radio. Her area does not have any digital users, nor do they have any plans to migrate to digital in the near future. She will need PL capability so that she does not encounter any interference, birdies, etc. Most of the users in her area run VHF high and UHF frequencies. Can anyone provide me with some model numbers of portable analog scanners with PL capability? Thanks!

I had the pro-94 and that worked well...but just troll epay. (you know what I mean) lol. Before you buy anything check on there. If you see something on there that looks cheap google it and see if it will work for you. Pawn shops get crazy expensive

KI6LWI

I will second the Ebay thing, I recently picked up a PRO-164, minus accessories for $55 shipped. I really like it; it works great on the local 800mhz trunked agencies, neighboring counties on VHF-high and UHF, and CHP on low band, hearing some agencies 50 miles out or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.