Analog to digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
First, sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find it if it was.

I'm a total novice when it comes to digital modes. I do understand that a hotspot is sometimes necessary too. I was talking to so.e today and I thought I heard them say they had a hotspot that was analog receive and digital output. Is that a thing? Would be great, but sounds too good to be true.

pewpew45

Check out ClearNode. It has an analog input and translates that to most of the digital modes for output… I can use mine to TX on p25, dmr, nxdn, fusion All while transmitting from my portable on analog to the node

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Check out ClearNode. It has an analog input and translates that to most of the digital modes for output… I can use mine to TX on p25, dmr, nxdn, fusion All while transmitting from my portable on analog to the node

Ah, yes! I do remember my contact mentioning something about "clear" something or other. I think that might have been it. Thanks!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Allstar nodes are analog

And your point is?

A ClearNode will do Allstar, EchoLink, DMR, P25, YSF, and NXDN. So if you are saying that a ClearNode is analog only, you are incorrect. Yes, you use an analog HT to talk to it, but it will do all those digital modes on the Internet side. A ClearNode is not just an Allstar node.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, I have the information I was trying to find. Now I have a starting point for my search.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
And your point is?

A ClearNode will do Allstar, EchoLink, DMR, P25, YSF, and NXDN. So if you are saying that a ClearNode is analog only, you are incorrect. Yes, you use an analog HT to talk to it, but it will do all those digital modes on the Internet side. A ClearNode is not just an Allstar node.
Ummmm… he never made that claim! It doesn’t have to be a ClearNode. If someone is looking for a way to use an analog radio with a hotspot, they should look for something that supports Allstar, which is a protocol supported by a variety of hardware. That is all…

-B

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Ummmm… he never made that claim! It doesn’t have to be a ClearNode. If someone is looking for a way to use an analog radio with a hotspot, they should look for something that supports Allstar, which is a protocol supported by a variety of hardware. That is all…

The OP asked about analog to digital.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
The OP asked about analog to digital.
Right… an allstar link is usually analog on one side and digital on the other, at least these days. Hence analog to digital. Our local linked repeater for instance, uses an analog node radio running allstar on a pi to connect to YSF, WiresX, pi-star, and DMR repeaters and hotspots. So I guess it depends on what the OP means by “digital”. ClearNode will do allstar along with other modes, but the point is that if your radio is analog, you want something that supports allstar on your end. If you want a simple, one stop shop, a ClearNode is pretty easy.

-Brian

Attachments

• 9D125839-ABC2-4381-8648-67035C33FA1E.jpeg
    9D125839-ABC2-4381-8648-67035C33FA1E.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 17

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Right… an allstar link is usually analog on one side and digital on the other, at least these days.

Uh, no. The system you are referencing (and apparently using) is far more than just an Allstar node. Allstar is analog only.

If you are using your ClearNode to connect to (for example) DMR, then Allstar is not in the picture at all.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Ah, yes! I do remember my contact mentioning something about "clear" something or other. I think that might have been it. Thanks!
Thank you, I have the information I was trying to find. Now I have a starting point for my search.

Funny thing is, the OP stated they had the information they were looking for....the rest is just noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.