• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Analog to digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingwolf

Its been covered here before but I cannot seem to find it.

Is it possible to use a standard Analog scanner (say a pro-92) and some software to decode and listen to the Ohio MARCS system. (APCO P.25).

So is it possible? I would assume that if I can get the raw data from the scanner, I would be able to use my PC to decode it, as the new scanners simply use software to decode it themselves, certainly my 1.5Ghz processor can handle the strain of decoding the stream if something that runs on AA's can.

Joseph11

There's no software, yet. It is possible, though.

If anyone is working on software like this, please contact me.

cnmsales

Premium Subscriber
I know the company that sells scancat lite plus has some kind of software they sell for like 500 dollars that decodes something. Not sure exactly what though.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
cnm - it has nothing to do with APCO P25 decoding. As mentioned above, it's not being done. Probably could be if there was a market, but since scanners already have this built-in, there's little incentive for people to modify their scanners AND keep them hooked up to a PC.

Here's what you are talking about, it's for packet radio / fax / etc. http://scancat.com/SkySweep/skysweep.html

flyingwolf

So its just a matter of writting the software then.

A discriminator tap, and the right software, and with an old Pro-92 (and of course staying at your PC or laptop) anyone can decode the new digital systems.

car2back

I disagree that there's not a market for it; there's plenty of people out there with a no digital trunk tracker that would love a program that would allow monitoring a P25 system (and pro-voice :D, but let's not go there)!

rdale

It's more than just writing the software... You have to get the details for the P25 decoding, those documents are EXpensive. Then you have to pay quite a hefty per-user fee for each one sold. Non-digital scanners cannot trunktrack pure P25 systems like Michigan / Colorado / etc.

So your market is people 1) willing to pay $250 (at least, that would be zero profit) for software to 2) disassemble and modify their scanner to tap it and 3) dedicate their scanner to their computer. One that only works on mixed-mode digital systems.

Since you are now taking the digital signal direct, you won't be able to hear analog transmissions.

No market. When a low-end full-featured digital scanner can be had for $350 used, nobody is going to pay $300 for software that cripples your use.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually if memory serves AOR sells a unit that does this; but it's costly, and I would think not for the average hacker to install the proper connections. I believe there's even a board for the AOR8600, but as I understand it, don't even think of trying to install it unless you know precisely what you're doing.

However, it should be pointed out that it will decode P25, but not enable trunking a P25 system. 73s Mike

rdale

...and it only works with scanners that output a particular IF, which as I recall only AOR's and Icom scanners are capable of... So still no good.

z96cobra

rdale said:
there's little incentive for people to modify their scanners AND keep them hooked up to a PC.
Unless you own a Icom PCR1000, PCR1500, or PCR2500. There is a market for the software, but I'm not sure how big that market is. I know that I would rather buy software for a system that I already have, instead of buying a new desktop scanner, if I could save $100-$200.

Roger

rdale

Are you sure those are trunking scanner? Because if they aren't trunked, and only receive conventional digital, that's a VERY VERY limited market.

I still don't understand - it's okay to spend $300 for software that would require you to keep your scanner hooked up to a PC, but won't spend $350 for a used (or $399 if you wait for a Pro96 sale) one that's fully functional?

N

N_Jay

Not to mention, the receiver not designed for c4FM/CPQSK is not going to do as good a job demodulation the signal, so you will likely have a much higher BER.

So what you are asking for is;
Expensive software,
The does not work well,
Only decodes conventional and obsolete 3600 bps control channel
:roll: :confused: :roll: :confused:

AND you think there is a market for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.