Status
Not open for further replies.

tuberadiogeek

I'm likely going to be getting a scanner that has analog trunking capabilities and I was just curious if there was anything in Allen County or near-by that uses analog trunking? I've never used that feature on a scanner and I'd like to be able to use it if I can. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

n5ims

It appears that you may have several in your area. Check your local county's page in the RR Database. Those listed as EDACS, "Motorola Type II", and possibly (depending on which scanner you get) LTR.

Be aware that most of the Analog Trunking systems are old and the technology is at or will soon be at "end of life" status, and most agencies that use it will be upgrading to newer (and supported) technology. Getting a scanner that had digital trunking (especially those with Phase II) will probably extend the life of your scanner. That said, if that old analog trunking scanner is a very low price, it may provide you with enough life to make it worth your dollars. Remember that a digital scanner will also work on older analog systems, while an analog scanner will not work on the digital ones.

One example of that upgrade would be the State-wide MARCS system. The old analog one is being replaced by the new Digital MARCS-IP one.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
One example of that upgrade would be the State-wide MARCS system. The old analog one is being replaced by the new Digital MARCS-IP one.
The old MARCS system is actually digital. It uses APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive digital voice and even though technically an analog system it has always required a digital scanner to listen to transmissions.

It appears that most if not all of Allen County is either on the new digital system, or some services may still be on the old system. I see no analog Public Safety trunked systems in this county. At the bottom of the Allen County page it lists some private systems, AEP, United Telephone, etc.

Last edited:

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Correct, there are no public safety analog trunked systems in Allen County. All public safety in Allen County is on the digital MARCS-IP system with the exception of Ohio State Patrol which is still on the digital MARCS system. Unless you want to listen to business systems, analog will do you no good.

Mike

jim202

Be aware that most of the Analog Trunking systems are old and the technology is at or will soon be at "end of life" status, and most agencies that use it will be upgrading to newer (and supported) technology.

If your in a region that still has an EDACS system, it won't be there too much longer. Those agencies that haven't replaced them are on borrowed time. There is no parts support available from Harris. The only support they find is on the used market like EBAY or from parts obtained from other agencies that have already pulled the equipment out of service.

Radio site problems are starting to occur more frequently and have even caused the trunking systems to go down in some cases. If these agencies still running EDACS systems don't have a plan already in place to replace the system, they are in big trouble. There is no such thing as rolling the dice and hoping it will stay operational longer. That just isn't going to happen.

At least the local EDACS system here is about half way through installing a new P25 trunking system. Everyone keeps their fingers crossed that it will last just a little longer. Every thunderstorm that rolls through is another nail bitter as to will the system survive or take a hit and go down.

tuberadiogeek

Correct, there are no public safety analog trunked systems in Allen County. All public safety in Allen County is on the digital MARCS-IP system with the exception of Ohio State Patrol which is still on the digital MARCS system. Unless you want to listen to business systems, analog will do you no good.

Mike

I know the public safety is all digital. I was hoping there was still something interesting in the higher frequncies to listen to. I'm mainly going to use it for railroads but there will be some times where I want to hear something different. I know there are a few things still using VHF/UHF/FM around but it's decreasing ever so slowly. I looked on the datbase page and seen only a few businesses were analog trunked and I don't think I want to listen to AEP or Ford. I figured there would be more up in the higher frequncies but I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.