Analog Vrs Digital need help

Cecilcolpean

So this may be dumb and I’m sorry but I am new to this and need help. I looked up the radio frequency needed for my areas. I know some are still analog but some department went to digital. So I need to know what kinda digital police scanner I need also does it need to be phase I or phase II? I want to listen to county jails, then Campbell County sheriff, Caryville and Jackaboro police, Knoxville tn ems and Anderson county ems ans claxton tn volunteer fire department???? All in East Tennessee! And the Knoxville police and sheriff department!!!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Some of the agencies you specified are analog conventional but a few of your agencies of interest operate on TACN and for that you'll need a P25 trunking scanner. See list here. If you choose one on the FDMA list you'll only be able to track talkgroups listed in the DB as Mode "D". If you choose a scanner on the TDMA list you'll be able to bring in modes "D" & "T" talkgroups. Anything ID'ed as mode "DE" or "TE" are fully encrypted and therefore cannot be tracked PERIOD (Knoxville Police are fully encrypted).

Cecilcolpean

Welcome to the RR forums. Some of the agencies you specified are analog conventional but a few of your agencies of interest operate on TACN and for that you'll need a P25 trunking scanner. See list here. If you choose one on the FDMA list you'll only be able to track talkgroups listed in the DB as Mode "D". If you choose a scanner on the TDMA list you'll be able to bring in modes "D" & "T" talkgroups. Anything ID'ed as mode "DE" or "TE" are fully encrypted and therefore cannot be tracked PERIOD (Knoxville Police are fully encrypted).
Okay so with all that being said what scanner would you suggest I get?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Handheld or base? Given none of your areas appear to contain simulcast cells you could get away with a Uniden BCD325p2 (handheld) or BCD996P2 (base). Personally I'd go with the BCD436HP (handheld) or 536HP (base). These should bring in everything you need them to, aside from anything encrypted of course

Cecilcolpean

Handheld or base? Given none of your areas appear to contain simulcast cells you could get away with a Uniden BCD325p2 (handheld) or BCD996P2 (base). Personally I'd go with the BCD436HP (handheld) or 536HP (base). These should bring in everything you need them to, aside from anything encrypted of course
Okay I greatly appreciate the help and advice on which to get. Because honestly I wouldn’t have been able to know which to buy for what he enjoys to listen to.