BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Analyze Feature -Will Uniden Accept Returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
Anyone who would disagree with a customer simply
stating they want what they paid.. almost $500.00 for..
working (as advertised) must have some agenda with Uniden.

I have every right to say what I said here, because as someone previously stated correctly, it is practically impossible to contact Uniden. That is untenable.

Boatanchor

How many 'Trunking / P25 / Scanner savvy' software engineers do you really think Uniden has on the books?

I bet that there are probably less than half a dozen staff across the entire organization (America & Japan) with the knowledge and experience to fix these complex problems. Add this to the fact that currently, those same people seem to be focused, once again, on fixing P25 Phase 1 decode problems with the older HP-1 and what do you expect will happen?

With any available resources being spread so thinly between trying to support legacy 'HP' products, the newly released products and possibly even future products, I can't see this being resolved anytime soon. Uniden appear to be running around in circles chasing their own tails at the present time!

There were simple firmware tweaks with the XT series that could have been addressed by Uniden to make a great scanner even better, but It became obvious that Uniden were so preoccupied by the upcoming release of the HP models, that the 'old' (still in production and still popular today) products just became completely neglected.

Uniden needs to pull their socks up and stop racing to produce new product before the old products are working properly. If for no other reason that unresolved problems in the old models will invariably end up being replicated, along with a host of new problems in the new, more complex products.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP Analyze Feature -Will Uniden Accept Returns?

Anyway, I am sure there are a number of x36HP owners that are just not wasting their effort to even inquire, complain or otherwise voice their opinion either way.

Yes, there are. I'm sure most of us (that have been sitting on the sidelines reading all the posts) would like to hear from Uniden and/or UPMAN on the current status of the WiFi, the App, and the Analyze features.

Maybe something like this:

"We have had unforeseen problems and some of the advertised options that we thought would be available during the initial release have been put on hold. The WiFi dongle connection to the App is not stable and cannot be released at this time. Uniden has engineers from Japan and the United States working on the issues five days a week. We are currently projecting a March 2015 timeframe to release the App.

As far as the analyze feature, we ran into another issue and cannot get the analyzer to work correctly on the display the way we would like. During the next firmware update, the analyze feature in the menu will be removed. Because of the issues with the WiFi dongle and the analyzer, we are offering a $100 credit to everyone who purchased the BCD536HP".

Is that the kind of statement (besides having the features) everyone would like to see from Uniden?

I can also tell you that anytime someone mentions any legal action against a corporation that the legal team will advise not to say anything. I'm surprised UPMAN continues to post on these forums. Did you ever think the reason why UPMAN is so silent is because his legal department advised him to. In the corporation I work for (Fortune 500), when anyone mentions any legal action, they tell us, (managers) "you can keep your mouth shut or become a customer, your choice".

Like most of you, I would like to have the WiFi, App, and Analyze features, but that doesn't mean I don't like the scanners. If fact, the BCD536HP has one of the best receivers of any Uniden scanners I own. I'm I disappointed? Well sure, I paid for something that I haven't received. But, I also know that people are not perfect and mistakes are made daily.

Bottom line: If you don't want to wait anymore, cut your losses and sell. Or wait patiently for possible solutions.

I tell everyone who works under me, "if you are bringing me a problem, then by god, you better have a solution to it".

joeuser

The Wretched
Oh Lord, I hope not... Legal stuff... Always a mess.

I'll finish up with this, this isn't referring to the legal post above either but to the thread in general. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Being a jerk about this will NOT change anything...

Boatanchor

I haven't read into this fully, but it appears the claimant is suing Uniden and a possibly a bunch of other companies for breach of copyright on some kind of centralized WAN client server system. I have also read that the claimant may be a 'Patent Troll', so who knows..

I'm only speculating here, but this may be directed toward technology and systems used in IP based, WAN systems like surveillance cameras that can be remotely accessed. Who knows, maybe it even impacts on the audio streaming/metadata component of the x36HP scanners that were also supposed to run through a centralized server.

I'm not an expert in WAN or IP connectivity, but I can see how a centralized server that can be logged into from anywhere, would offer advantages such as negating the need for subscribers to have fixed IP's for content streaming.

Such systems would be a prime target for the various three letter agencies to have a backdoor into :)

http://www.google.com/patents/US6839731

bee

signal500

If they had a solution for a problem, they would not b e bringing it too you!!!!!!!!!

Do you undersatnd?

bee

That is the worst statement, I have ever heard from a member of management.

That is what you are there for.

Can you tell me, what company you work for?

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

That is the worst statement, I have ever heard from a member of management.

That is what you are there for.

Can you tell me, what company you work for?

I'm sorry you feel that way Bee. It depends on what level of management a person holds. For example; if you are a Chief Executive Officer, you would be looking for solutions to problems from managers that report to you. You discuss the issues with the managers, and they hopefully report back with solutions.

kd7eir

Yes, there are. I'm sure most of us (that have been sitting on the sidelines reading all the posts) would like to hear from Uniden and/or UPMAN on the current status of the WiFi, the App, and the Analyze features.

Maybe something like this:

"We have had unforeseen problems and some of the advertised options that we thought would be available during the initial release have been put on hold. The WiFi dongle connection to the App is not stable and cannot be released at this time. Uniden has engineers from Japan and the United States working on the issues five days a week. We are currently projecting a March 2015 timeframe to release the App.

As far as the analyze feature, we ran into another issue and cannot get the analyzer to work correctly on the display the way we would like. During the next firmware update, the analyze feature in the menu will be removed. Because of the issues with the WiFi dongle and the analyzer, we are offering a $100 credit to everyone who purchased the BCD536HP".

Is that the kind of statement (besides having the features) everyone would like to see from Uniden?

I can also tell you that anytime someone mentions any legal action against a corporation that the legal team will advise not to say anything. I'm surprised UPMAN continues to post on these forums. Did you ever think the reason why UPMAN is so silent is because his legal department advised him to. In the corporation I work for (Fortune 500), when anyone mentions any legal action, they tell us, (managers) "you can keep your mouth shut or become a customer, your choice".

Like most of you, I would like to have the WiFi, App, and Analyze features, but that doesn't mean I don't like the scanners. If fact, the BCD536HP has one of the best receivers of any Uniden scanners I own. I'm I disappointed? Well sure, I paid for something that I haven't received. But, I also know that people are not perfect and mistakes are made daily.

Bottom line: If you don't want to wait anymore, cut your losses and sell. Or wait patiently for possible solutions.

I tell everyone who works under me, "if you are bringing me a problem, then by god, you better have a solution to it".

People on this forum have EVERY RIGHT to voice their displeasure with Uniden's business practices in relation to the scanners that they sell. I promise you that Uniden neither needs nor wants you to cheerlead for them in here by chiding users for expressing their rightful opinions. UPMan has REPEATEDLY stated that he welcomes such commentary from the users on this forum. Your chiding response is part of what leads to suspicions of this forum trying to censor people for speaking against Uniden.

As upper-level management at the largest technology company in the world, if I had a direct report with your attitude I would remove them from any level of management and give them an option of returning to the trenches to get a new dose of reality or pursuing opportunities with other employers.

Your attitude is one that is rife with laziness and the total inability to understand that your JOB as a manager at ANY LEVEL is to make damn sure that your direct reports have all the tools and resources necessary to perform their job. If there is a problem preventing them from accomplishing their assigned tasks, then it's YOUR JOB TO FIX THAT PROBLEM, NOT THEIRS.

The only people that I have met in my decades of management that hold your attitude are those that are too inept to actually SOLVE PROBLEMS.

Telling people to not talk about issues with their scanners is inane. This forum DOES NOT EXIST as a confidence booster for Uniden - Uniden does not suffer from any sort of inferiority complex necessitating false praise and adulation to prevent them from partaking in self harm.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Would rather Uniden just refund everyone 100 bucks and state these options will not become available and move on to build another radio. these scanners work better than previous scanners. Better designed. If they would refund us, charge folks for those options if they ever materialize. This would be a easy out for Uniden and still maintain some customers. I for one will never buy another Uniden product again.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Analyze

Let's not bite the hand that feeds us a line of crap.

See below from their web site this morning. Radio System Analysis. I'm not seeing that function on my radio, maybe yours has it? I bought my radio in Feb. and it is now Aug. and the radio isn't out of development yet. Analyze has been buried by the head phone jack recall on the 536 and the Wi-Fi dongle that isn't finished yet either. No comments from Uniden on the Analyze.

Add to Compare
Uniden BCD436HP HomePatrol Series Digital Handheld Scanner
SKU: BCD436HP
***Brand New Product*** The BCD436HP is the first scanner to incorporate the HomePatrol-1's ease of use in a traditional handheld scanner. Plus, Uniden's exclusive Close Call® RF Capture feature, GPS Connectivity, Extra-Large Display, Radio System Analysis and Discover Modes put the most advanced scanner features ever right in the palm of your hand.
Let's not bite the hand that feeds us!

Let's not bite the hand that feeds us!

The issue Uniden needs to worry about is the faithful loosing their appetite..If they take too long the hungry will look somewhere else to get their meals.

With that said,Im looking forward to getting an X36 ( still deciding between the 4/536)..Luckily Im not interested in the features that are an issue..

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

As upper-level management at the largest technology company in the world, if I had a direct report with your attitude I would remove them from any level of management and give them an option of returning to the trenches to get a new dose of reality or pursuing opportunities with other employers.

Your attitude is one that is rife with laziness and the total inability to understand that your JOB as a manager at ANY LEVEL is to make damn sure that your direct reports have all the tools and resources necessary to perform their job. If there is a problem preventing them from accomplishing their assigned tasks, then it's YOUR JOB TO FIX THAT PROBLEM, NOT THEIRS.

The only people that I have met in my decades of management that hold your attitude are those that are too inept to actually SOLVE PROBLEMS.

First and foremost, I have no connection with the Uniden corporation. I have enjoyed using there products for years.

Yes, it is my job to fix problems and I have successfully done it everyday for the past 27 years. How I manage is irrelevant to this discussion. I present problems and issues to my staff and ask for solutions. Here is problem A, please report back to me with solution A,B,C, and D. Then together we all take the best solution and we solve the problem.

That was all I was trying to communicate and obviously did not do it well. I never intended to get this thread sidetracked discussing management styles.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I learned this when I started with computers back in 1981. When you stay on the leading edge, it sometimes becomes the bleeding edge. You want to play with the latest, and greatest? Sometimes there are growing pains.

Software, and more so firmware development is very complicated when you incorporate all the features these new scanners have. There is always going to be bugs to work out, features to perfect, and disappointments.

If you're truly that unhappy with your scanner, you should have no problem selling it, and recovering a good portion of your original cost.

I have no personal interest in Uniden. Just my personal opinion on the situation.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Leading Edge

I agree about leading edge but

What is it about the 436 that is leading edge?
Analyze missing but on HP-1
Phase 2 P25 on PSR-800 a few years ago
LED on the PSR-500 years ago
Record function on PSR-800
GPS on other Unidens

I learned this when I started with computers back in 1981. When you stay on the leading edge, it sometimes becomes the bleeding edge. You want to play with the latest, and greatest? Sometimes there are growing pains.

Software, and more so firmware development is very complicated when you incorporate all the features these new scanners have. There is always going to be bugs to work out, features to perfect, and disappointments.

If you're truly that unhappy with your scanner, you should have no problem selling it, and recovering a good portion of your original cost.

I have no personal interest in Uniden. Just my personal opinion on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.