Analyze Mode or Wifi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I have the HP-1 with the Extreme Update and if I had a choice between the Analyze Mode or Wifi I would choose Analyze.I would think since its already an option in the HP-1 that it would be probably the next thing to release. You don't need a Wifi dongle for that and it would benefit all users of the *36HP series.

If I had the ball in my court I would bench WiFi and take a shot with the Analyze Mode and hope that final shot made me a winner.Then off season I would draft me a new Wifi dongle and see If I could make the Playoffs . The Whistles are about to blow ! Now who's choking on saltine crackers ?

Last edited:

JamesO

Fully agree with this approach.

All x36HP users could benefit from the Analyze mode and it is something that offer some "real" value.

WiFi basically just extends the user interface physically.

henrygb

what could happen if the Analyze mode need to use the Wi-fi dongle? Would be possible to use this feature with the limit size screen of the scanner?. I think about it when I try to imagine the same function in the Home Patrol but using in BCD536

JamesO

what could happen if the Analyze mode need to use the Wi-fi dongle? Would be possible to use this feature with the limit size screen of the scanner?. I think about it when I try to imagine the same function in the Home Patrol but using in BCD536

WiFi is not required for the Analyze mode. It only complicates things a bit as the firmware will be required to support both Analyze mode as well as WiFi.

The screen size should be able to worked around using multi pages and splitting some of the features of Analyze if necessary.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm taking a dissent with great respect to others on this. I see myself using the wifi component more frequently than the analyze feature.

JamesO

I'm taking a dissent with great respect to others on this. I see myself using the wifi component more frequently than the analyze feature.

I think as with many Apps, it may come up short and not be the end all item that everyone expects it to be.

Without a remote scanner power capability, this I think will be one limitation that the App will fall short on.

I hope I am wrong, but, there are plenty of Apps that I find are sorely lacking at the end of the day.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
For me the Wi-Fi mode would be nice but the analyze mode is essential. I live in Los Angeles and pretty much know the trunking systems, control channels, etc for the major systems around the area. However, have had the 436HP with me for a few days visiting my daughter in Phoenix last month and in Las Vegas last week for few days with my wife. Really missed the information that my HP Extreme would provide, but the 436HP does pick up both conv/digital better in my opinion. Even my 396XP tells me the frequency and how the CC is doing.
Both the 436HP and 536HP are good scanners, but there is a lot of information that some of us would like to have that is missing. Frankly, I enjoy watching the trunk site CC status, strength, and all the data that the HP1Ext provides as much as listening, if not more. The analyze feature was really why I bought the two new scanners. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the Wi-Fi too, but I will take the analyze for now. In fact, I would take some firmware update to show me what frequencies are on the trunking systems.
We are now in mid May, 6 months after the big announcement. It's time for some updates. If Uniden can't do it because of problem with the processor, Wi-Fi dongle, or whatever, please just tell us, and we will have to accept it.
I hope I'm wrong, but am getting the feeling that maybe Uniden promised more than they can actually deliver on these units. I'm sure Paul (UPMan) is as frustrated about the lack of progress as many of us are, but we still, now at 6 months after the scanners were first announced with certain features due by the end of Q1, deserve some type of response.
On the other hand, I don't see any earth-shattering movement from Whistler. And Unitrunker is always available for some of my analysis needs at the moment.
That all said, I still think these new Uniden Scanners are better than anything else that has been available to date, either Uniden or GRE/RS.
Steve AA6IO

Hearken

Premium Subscriber
Analyze Mode or WiFi?

Maybe Uniden or Paul can't get the Analyze Mode or WiFi to work properly on either Radios. Do you realize how much of a land slide that would cause, if Paul just came out and stated that those two functions will not be used at all, because the programing is "way" to complicated. This would probably cause a lot of embarrassment to him, and this is why he never says anything. I really can't blame him. Maybe Uniden forced these modes to be used, put it's to hard, and this has put him on the spot. Again maybe Uniden has told him to say nothing, who knows. As long as people keep asking maybe, in a few years we might find out. Otherwise keep up the good work Paul, we believe in you.

henrygb

With the app in stand by for sometime, Uniden can now focus in the Analyze feature, for x36HP series.

I think so

durangoGreg

Personally, I have no need for analyze mode but my radio is almost worthless without WIFi.

I need the remote head option in order to mount the radio in my vehicle and use my phone as a remote head. Since I live way out in the country I don't need a home unit. I specifically bought it as a mobile, planning on using the GPS for automatic programing and the WiFI to link to phone controller using my phone's blutooth to output the audio to my vehicles audio speakers.

So now my 536 sets on a shelf waiting for WiFi firmware and an app.

XTS3000

I sit here with a HP-1 with extreme upgrade with the 436HP next to each other. The analyze features on the HP-1 are awesome. The big high resolution color touch screen is real nice because there is so much data/info on the screen in analyze mode. So I sit here wondering how all the analyze features are going to fit on the very limited screen resolution of the 436HP & 536HP.

I can almost understand Uniden having problems making all the data display on such a low resolution screen. I know the UI experience will not be as good as it is on the HP-1.

I understand why people are irritated about the missing analyze features, because this feature is bad a55. Hopefully the wait will be worth it and maybe more features than the HP-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.