Anch. Ak. frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjag1946

Would anyone have, or tell me how to find frequencies for elmindorf air base and fort richardson in Anchorage. 2nd, I have a pro 97, will the rubber duckie do the trick, or will i need something special??

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
1. Boy that is a toughie! Apart from posting a query in the Alaska forum, probably your best bet is to put a query out on the Milcom list on qth.net - it's likely someone there has some answers. From our Military Monitoring wiki, the URL for the page to join is:

http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/milcom

2. A duckie is very much a compromise antenna. While it would work OK for local activity, an outdoor antenna, mounted nice and high, with the right coax and weatherproofing, will do a far and away better job. We have numerous scanner antennas - and even some homebrew designs - on our Scanner Antennas wiki

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Scanner_Antennas

73s Mike

rjag1946

Ak frequ.

thank,s for the info. as far as replacing the rubber duckie for something inside or outside what would u go for, Don,t whant to mess up the unit. (pro 97)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's interesting Mick - having the bases integrated with the public safety trunk all in one like that. Sure wish other places would do that.

rjag1946 - you'll need to be a bit more specific. Are you using the 97 primarily as a handheld, in the home, car, ect? The antennas forum has had numerous threads on all of these. Me, I would probably go with a NilJon for a vehicle, the Diamond duckie (RH something - it's on the Wiki...) for a handheld antenna, and a ScanTenna or perhaps a discone for the house, depending on where you are. If you're close to a city with lots of pagers and other junk, and had the skill to build it, that off center dipole is quite tempting; although you could buy the Grove antenna, as it's a clone.

I would be prepared for overloading issues with antennas at home though - we also have a few suppliers of filters (PAR electronics filters are very good, and sold through several retailers) if you find you need them. The 97 is not quite as good as the long-discontinued PRO-43 in the area of resistance to overload and other products; it certainly won't damage the scanner, you just might not hear as much as you could.....73s Mike

rjag1946

pro 97

this would be for home , along with a bc 200 xlt. I,m kind a new at this, so i hope i,m not boaring u guys. Just got really intristed in this.

rjag1946

pro 97

this would be for home use, along with a bc 200 xlt. I,m really new at this, so i hope i,m not boring uguys to much. Is there anything such as an all range antennas?? I guess i,m just lookin for as much as i can pick up. Thanks for any info (Great Site)

Status
Not open for further replies.