Anchorage, why not ALMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Why did Anchorage build out a brand new 700 MHz digital radio system when ALMR is already in place? If they used the Anchorage site, and the airport site that would have been more though enough frequencies I'm sure for their radio traffic.

Also, will the old analog AWRN system be shut off after all users migrate to the new digital system?

OK, thanks sooo much! :)

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I can't answer why. But AWARN P25 is actually a subsystem of ALMR. Some talk groups show up on both systems - namely APD and AST. As far as shutting off the old AWARN, I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Too many users still on the system, and new P25 systems doesn't have much besides UAA pd, AFD and some security. I still listen to APD on convo freqs, sounds much better.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I think part of the reason they migrated to 700 MHz is due to their jurisdiction (APD, AFD, etc.) being in the middle of the "big city". VHF works great for long distances, flat and/or mountainous areas without many solid obstructions but not so good in dense metal/concrete areas. Just like all the big cities in the lower 48 use 800MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.