And just why can't I hear Hopewell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photone

I programed the Eastern Virginia trunked system into my 396, using the info from the RR database and ARC396, but I can't hear Hopewell...ANYthing from Hopewell (Who has a major fire going even as I speak...er...type).

This is the trunked digital system that has both 400MHZ and 800MHZ systems, with Hopewell being the sole user on 800

I can pick up Fort Lee perfectly.

Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Jay434

Did you program in just the UHF freqs?

The talkgroups exist on both the UHF and 800 freqs, but if no one at fort lee is affiliated to the hopewell channels, then they aren't broadcast across the UHF side.

If you want to listen to just Hopewell, I'd put in the 800 freqs, and then a few of the Hopewell talkgroups. The reverse applies to listening to Fort Lee. Let me know if this makes sense.

Jay

photone

Thanks for the reply...I tried that, in fact, putting in the Hopewell frequencies and control channels as well as the Hopewell fire talk groups..

Also I've got it set on control channel only. I've tried both ID scan and ID search.

W4UVV

Hopewell TRS reception

I assume you have confirmed an adequate signal strength for Hopewell 800 mhz. TRS reception. You cannot compare the Ft. Lee 400 mhz. TRS signals to the Hopewell 800 mhz. signals. The Hopewell 800 mhz. TRS signals are not strong. Program the Hopewell 800 mhz. TRS frequencies as conventional; scan and see if you can receive the control channel and if so what the signal strength is. I recommend an ID search scan when doing a trunked TRS scan. I don't know about the 396 but as with all Uniden digital scanners even though the sensitivity has improved on the 996T it still is not what I would call a sensitive scanner. I suspect the 396 sensitivity is the same. The 996T has 5 signal strength bar levels of reception level. Normally if the 996T does not reflect a reading minimally of 2 bars the odds of a good control channel lock decrease significantly.

When I bought my 796D a couple of years ago, I had a significant problem receiving the Hopewell TRS. The first problem reception source I discovered was Uniden. The 796D software did not properly process talkgroups 40,000 and above. Hopewell TRS comms would lock for a second and then disappear. Forget trying to receive Hopewell on 400 mhz. It will not happen. The much touted 400/800 mhz. dual controller has proven to be a waste of time and money for dual band interoperability comms because the users don't utilize the system's interoperability features. Maybe it's too much different comms in the dispatch area. Theoretically the system can interconnect Bellwood and the Naval Station in Norfolk, but those settings are in the off position probably never to be used. Hopewell uses the 40,000 series for talkgroups. Uniden recognized it was a serious 796D software deficiency and offered a software fix for downloading which I installed. The second problem was the Hopewell TRS equipment's operating characteristics. The 796D software upgrade corrected the short time lock on a Hopewell TRS transmission but the audio was not good. All of the other area TRS system's P25 audio I had programed sounded good. I finally solved the problem by manually resetting the audio quality value. Now Hopewell and all the other TRS's audio sound fine.

In testing my 996T when programing a TRS I discovered that the factory audio default value of "8" was not optimum for what I wanted to hear I have not yet attempted to program Hopewell but I don't anticipate any problems. I noticed that the audio bit error rate was significantly lower when I selected "manual" and "7". I discovered a quick way to get the audio quality display on the 996. When scanning press the main tuning knob once and the volume control adjustment once. The audio quality BERs and current setting will display and you can change whatever "on the fly" whenever a previously programed TRS has comms. To exit repeat the process. You might try a manual setting change on the Ft. Lee TRS audio and watch the bit error rate value. Select the lowest BER and try again if you get a good Hopewell TRS control channel lock. Hopewell is not a high volume TRS comm user. Try the daytime during working hours as there is more comm. activity. Also I have heard a Hopewell EMS unit using ICall involving what fast food restaurant to stop at for lunch. So ICall also works on their TRS.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I really don't know. I have no problem hearing them. I am using a Pro-96. Have not missed a thing on Hopewell and it comes in loud and clear

W4UVV

Hopewell trs with the 996T

W4UVV said:
I assume you have confirmed an adequate signal strength for Hopewell 800 mhz. TRS reception. You cannot compare the Ft. Lee 400 mhz. TRS signals to the Hopewell 800 mhz. signals. The Hopewell 800 mhz. TRS signals are not strong. Program the Hopewell 800 mhz. TRS frequencies as conventional; scan and see if you can receive the control channel and if so what the signal strength is. I recommend an ID search scan when doing a trunked TRS scan. I don't know about the 396 but as with all Uniden digital scanners even though the sensitivity has improved on the 996T it still is not what I would call a sensitive scanner. I suspect the 396 sensitivity is the same. The 996T has 5 signal strength bar levels of reception level. Normally if the 996T does not reflect a reading minimally of 2 bars the odds of a good control channel lock decrease significantly.

When I bought my 796D a couple of years ago, I had a significant problem receiving the Hopewell TRS. The first problem reception source I discovered was Uniden. The 796D software did not properly process talkgroups 40,000 and above. Hopewell TRS comms would lock for a second and then disappear. Forget trying to receive Hopewell on 400 mhz. It will not happen. The much touted 400/800 mhz. dual controller has proven to be a waste of time and money for dual band interoperability comms because the users don't utilize the system's interoperability features. Maybe it's too much different comms in the dispatch area. Theoretically the system can interconnect Bellwood and the Naval Station in Norfolk, but those settings are in the off position probably never to be used. Hopewell uses the 40,000 series for talkgroups. Uniden recognized it was a serious 796D software deficiency and offered a software fix for downloading which I installed. The second problem was the Hopewell TRS equipment's operating characteristics. The 796D software upgrade corrected the short time lock on a Hopewell TRS transmission but the audio was not good. All of the other area TRS system's P25 audio I had programed sounded good. I finally solved the problem by manually resetting the audio quality value. Now Hopewell and all the other TRS's audio sound fine.

In testing my 996T when programing a TRS I discovered that the factory audio default value of "8" was not optimum for what I wanted to hear I have not yet attempted to program Hopewell but I don't anticipate any problems. I noticed that the audio bit error rate was significantly lower when I selected "manual" and "7". I discovered a quick way to get the audio quality display on the 996. When scanning press the main tuning knob once and the volume control adjustment once. The audio quality BERs and current setting will display and you can change whatever "on the fly" whenever a previously programed TRS has comms. To exit repeat the process. You might try a manual setting change on the Ft. Lee TRS audio and watch the bit error rate value. Select the lowest BER and try again if you get a good Hopewell TRS control channel lock. Hopewell is not a high volume TRS comm user. Try the daytime during working hours as there is more comm. activity. Also I have heard a Hopewell EMS unit using ICall involving what fast food restaurant to stop at for lunch. So ICall also works on their TRS.

I recently bought a 996T and yesterday got around to programing it for Hopewell. I used the Butel ARC996T software and copied/pasted my 796D frequencies/talkgroups with no problem to the 996T. I changed the digital audio setting to "7" vice "8". Hopewell is an 800 mhz. Motorola standard trs. I created one system level file called "Hopewell", one site level file called "Hopewell" and one talkgroup group file called "Hopewell" and did not use a quick key. Hopewell was loud and clear at my Prince George location. Since you did not post where you live and assuming you made no errors in programing the 396T HT which is similar if not the same as the 996T, I assume your reception problem then is insufficient signal strength for your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.