And Nice Easy 436 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcisive

I was doing some testing tonight to verify that my 436 would or would not benefit from the so called copper/foil mod done to the battery compartment. Check scans on the low and high UHF and VHF regions, even the 800mhz region and verified that having the foil was NO advantage in sensitivity or noise when used with both my stock antenna as well as several other higher quality ones.

During that test I noted that the sound quality without the back cover on made the sound even more brittle or tinny. Obviously the speaker's back output goes through the battery compartment. That said I applied a piece of foam across the inside of the cover plate so as to not provide much more pressure in closing the plate back over the batteries. I noted that with the extra foam the sound quality improved OVER the stock standard battery cover being on. Now I'm even happier with the sound quality as it is much less brittle retaining it's excellent clarity but not that brittle crispy quality it can have with some of the analog channels for sure. Just wanted to share this simple mod as it's certainly worth doing. The foil/copper wasn't for me. Who knows if it's a sample dependent example of how there might be some variances in the production, or my reception area doesn't lend itself to exhibiting the difference. Either way I'm good to go.

tfagler

sniffer of the air
Premium Subscriber
Cover Change

Have you noticed a change in the heating of the radio or anything with modifying the batter pack cover?

dcisive

Nope, I've not noticed any warmth whatsoever. I also don't use the stock batteries. I have stuck to the Eneloop Pro 2450mah batteries. I typically plug the radio in overnight for about 10 hours of charging and this has worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.