And Now For a Bit of Indy Scanning Nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9WG

Found this while cleaning out some old boxes I had stored...

Oh how times were so simple back then....

Regency2.jpg

Regency1.jpg

Anon6083

Premium Subscriber
Oh wow, my face lit up when I saw this. Before my time, but so cool. Thanks for sharing that!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The first scanner I bought was a Uniden BC100XL (16 channel handheld) sometime in the early 1980's. I don't remember buying it at American Electronics, but I remember visiting that store a couple of times and picking up their scanner frequency sheet which I still have filed away somewhere. Richard, your list goes back further than that.

Scanning was a lot simpler back then.

K9WG

W9RXR
My first "scanner" was a tube type tunable VHF receiver. IPD was on VHF (155~ MHz). The receiver was so broad that I could hear the dispatch frequency and if the car was close enough I could hear them on the mobile frequency (no repeater at that time). I remember when Marion County Sheriff went to a repeater. I thought that was the greatest thing. When IPD went to UHF I purchased a RS Pro 16-A and a RS Pro-40.

markbart

Just found my 1985 Bearcat Indy freq. list will post as soon as I can get it in to the compurter.

Mark

KD4YGG

Database Admin
And yet some of those are still valid frequencies...

markbart

Old Freq.Lists

Here is my Indy Freq Lists.It's had hard use over the yrs LOL.

Mark

Last edited:

markbart

Old Freq.Lists

Going to try again.

Mark

Attachments

• Bear1.jpg
    Bear1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 544
  • Bear2.jpg
    Bear2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Bear3.jpg
    Bear3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 510
  • Bear4.jpg
    Bear4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 475

bessiedawg

Does anybody remember the old CRB Research frequency guides? They were just three or four paper pages usually tri-folded. You could buy them for certain geographic areas. They were the first frequency guides i remember. Sold by mail for about $2.00 a piece !

W9NES

I have a Regency Whamo 10 and the tuner that is in the picture of the frequency guide that was posted by K9WG. As far as CRB Research I do have those books here in the Communications Center.

W9NES

The Maps that were posted from K9WG were from the 1980's.Those were available from American Electronics in Greenwood and other locations. I also have those same maps in a file in the communications center.Thanks for sharing your post with others K9WG.

K9WG

I believe IPD went UHF around 1977 - 1978. I remember touring the dispatch center at the CCB shortly after the change. The map refers to the "new" frequencies.

eta: It had to be late '77 early 78. that is when I purchased my scanners to listen to the new frequencies. I was working at RS at that time and used my discount.

Last edited:

KidClerk

Feed Provider
In addition to having to have those lists, I used to have a box of extra crystals that I'd swap when I wanted to hear something different, like adding the highway department for the winter months. After all, I only had 8 available channels.... :)

W9NES

I have a small tool box full of both Regency and Bearcat cystals.No one uses crystals anymore.When the need arises when I need to test a Regency or Bearcat crystal scanner it is nice to have a 162.550 crystal for National Weather Service,Indianapolis to make sure the scanner is working the way it should.

Garymaxon1234

Crb

Bessiedawg and all:

I found a few of my old frequency information. I found this CRB list:

GT

Attachments

• CBRIN1LO0001.jpg
    CBRIN1LO0001.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 331

bessiedawg

GT: Yup, that's what the old CRB Directories looked like. I remember ordering the ones for New York City and Los Angeles just to read about the radio systems. They were very concise, yet informative directories.

Status
Not open for further replies.