Anderson PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
I hear them on 853.1625 at 9600 baud.

WOW, you must give the best customer service at your little shop!!

====

hey guy, you need a Digital Capable trunk tracking radio. do you have this? if yes we can get started from there, if not then you need to buy one...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Can anyone offer an update on Anderson's move to 1D9? The plan is for all county public safety agencies to move to this new system. So who's still on VHF, who's still on Palmetto 800, and who has made the switch full time? Any patches between systems still active?

LarrySC

The info in database is still the same as far as I know. I have to go mobile and drive toward Anderson to receive the new system. Since I dont carry a gun I rarely get anywhere close to Anderson. PD is dispatch only on VHF. Fire, EMS still on VHF and simulcast on system. I tried my best 800 Yagi but I just cant get it from here. Even when the towers are completed I assume you still will have to close to receive the system. It's not like all this WIDE AREA stuff we got on the 3600 system.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I hear them on 853.1625 at 9600 baud.
A completely useless post, thereby not providing any useful information to a first time poster. Thank you Larry for contributing in such a positive manner.

WOW, you must give the best customer service at your little shop!!

====

hey guy, you need a Digital Capable trunk tracking radio. do you have this? if yes we can get started from there, if not then you need to buy one...
Okay, the way I commented was much better than this, but you did hit the high points...don't do it this way again.

A complaint has been filed for your smart ass remarks. dodah
If you have done so, you have done so improperly as no complaint has been received in the proper manner. In any case don't bother to do so now, since the moderation staff was made aware of this nonsense already.

========

To the OP, what you should have been told is to see the information contained in the Plametto (P25) system. One caveat with that, please take the information provided as the special band plan listed there with a grain of salt, I am guessing that it is incorrect.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Banjoman5strings-
Welcome to RR.com!
What model scanner do you have? That is the first question we need to answer to help you get up and running.

Brian-
I just got in from work. Since I have relatives that work in Anderson and live right outside of it I had the chance to do extensive monitoring along with some T88/Unitrunker/Pro96Com over last Thanksgiving.
Let me look over my data here in little while and I will update everyone on
what is where. I know from memory that Anderson Co Sheriff is on the New Pal 800 while Anderson City PD is silmulcasting VHF & Old Pal 800.

Oh and for the record Larry: Anderson is just as safe as any other city it's size. Maybe if you spent more time there you would be able to update your guide with the latest info. Just a thought! :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

CaptDuck

In Anderson SC with BCT15X - do I need digital?

Just got this Uniden BCT15X and thought it would work for The Anderson Sheriff's Dept. & PD but, from what I've read in this thread so far, I guess I'll need a digital capable scanner.

I had a RadioShack PRO 2006 that quit powering up a couple of years ago and I haven't been doing much scanning since then.

I programmed the Palmetto 800 / Motorola Type II SmartZone "System" in along with the "Sites" and talk "Groups" with the Channel ID's.into the BCT15X.
I've been very disappointed with what I've been able to scan.

I read somewhere else that the BCT15X would work with Palmetto 800 trunking system.

So my Question is...
Just want to be sure the BCT15X, non-digital unit, will NOT be able to receive the Anderson Sheriff's Department channels since they have gone or will go digital -- So I'll need a different model, right?

I just looked at the Palmetto (P25)/ID9 link and see what you are talking about.
I guess I might as well upgrade from my new BCT15X. I guess I should have done more research. Any suggestions on some digital trunking scanners that I could use for the new system in Anderson SC?

Also, I used Free Scan to program this thing from RR's free info (cut&paste) and the when It stops on Anderson Co SD Dispatch, ID:62208, it sounds like you're under the hood of a semi diesel running 3000 rpm. Is that because it is digital?

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thanks,
"Duck"

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Just got this Uniden BCT15X and thought it would work for The Anderson Sheriff's Dept. & PD but, from what I've read in this thread so far, I guess I'll need a digital capable scanner.

I had a RadioShack PRO 2006 that quit powering up a couple of years ago and I haven't been doing much scanning since then.

I programmed the Palmetto 800 / Motorola Type II SmartZone "System" in along with the "Sites" and talk "Groups" with the Channel ID's.into the BCT15X.

I read somewhere else that the BCT15X would work with Palmetto 800 trunking system.

So my Question is...
Just want to be sure the BCT15X, non-digital unit, will NOT be able to receive the Anderson Sheriff's Department channels since they have gone or will go digital -- So I'll need a different model, right?

I just looked at the Palmetto (P25)/ID9 link and see what you are talking about.
I guess I might as well upgrade from my new BCT15X. I guess I should have done more research. Any suggestions on some digital trunking scanners that I could use for the new system in Anderson SC?

Also, I used Free Scan to program this thing from RR's free info (cut&paste) and the when It stops on Anderson Co SD Dispatch, ID:62208, it sounds like you're under the hood of a semi diesel running 3000 rpm. Is that because it is digital?

Thanks,
"Duck"

That diesel engine sound is Digital (P25) you will need to get a digital Scanner, your best choices are BCD396XT/BCD996XT - Pro-106/Pro-197 - PSR500/PSR600... not to be labeled a gre hater but i prefer Uniden radios and if you already have a BCT15XT a BCD996XT would compliment it very nicely plus you could use the same software and programming is very similiar where was with GRE radios you are going to have to relearn programming, but if you are just getting started with the BCT15XT it might not be hard to switch, all are greats radios i own some of each except the PSRs and like them all.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
CaptDuck-
Welcome to RR.com! I would recommend at least considering getting a digital model if the budget allows. More and more radio traffic in SC is in a digital format on either the older Palmetto 800 or the newer P25 Palmetto 800. The Uniden BCT15X is a great analog only radio but with more and more agencies going digital you will need to consider a digital model such as the Uniden BCD996XT or the Radio Shack Pro-197.
And you are correct in that what you heard on the Anderson Sheriff Talkgroup is a digital transmission.
Hope this helps!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

So my Question is...

Thanks,
"Duck"

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Just to be clear (at the risk of being redundant), there are two trunked systems operating in Anderson County used by public safety agencies:

Palmetto 800 is the long-established state-wide trunked radio system that some Anderson County agencies migrated to some years ago. This is a mixed mode system, meaning some talkgroups are analog and some are digital. Any digital scanner can receive digital talkgroups on this system. The Palmetto 800 system talkgroups for Anderson County are mostly digital.

Palmetto P25 is the newer state trunked radio system. It's P25-compliant, which means it uses a 9600bps control channel and all talkgroups are digital. Newer models of digital scanners are required to monitor this system successfully. At this time, only Charleston County and Anderson County are actively covered by this new system. Eventually, state agencies (like SCHP) will have their radios upgraded to use this newer system.

I updated the Anderson County database page this morning, adding these two systems as "featured" trunked systems and updated some conventional alpha-tags. I also edited the Palmetto P25 system page, moving the bandplan and GPS coordinate information to the Wiki page.

Marshall, you've mentioned that Anderson Co SO is using Palmetto P25, yet we don't show any talkgroups for that agency on the Palmetto P25 database page, only Anderson PD, which is consistent with what Larry is saying. When we confirm who is still using VHF, who is on Palmetto 800 and who is on Palmetto P25, I'll add further details in the database.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
New Pal 800?

Brian,
I have a BCD996T and am wondering if it can be upgraded to the new PAL P25? I'm pretty sure the XT version can be. Any idea if and when Aiken County will upgrade to the new P25 system?
Thanks,
Barry

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Brian,
I have a BCD996T and am wondering if it can be upgraded to the new PAL P25? I'm pretty sure the XT version can be. Any idea if and when Aiken County will upgrade to the new P25 system?
Thanks,
Barry

Barry-
No upgrade needed. Both the 996t and 996XT will handle both flavors of Pal800 just fine.
I will let Brian chime in with any info on Aiken.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Barry-
No upgrade needed. Both the 996t and 996XT will handle both flavors of Pal800 just fine.
I will let Brian chime in with any info on Aiken.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

The final goal is to have everyone on a P25 only system statewide, so yes eventually for Aiken. However it is a ways away, there is already a P25 site in Richland county but with no use, testing only. There is not even a site up in Aiken yet so they are much farther away from going to the P25 system only, However they could always go P25 on the Mixed Mode system that they are currently on but luckily with the bad economy many can't afford these upgrades...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Caesar and Marshall are right on, as usual.

I read the entire state interoperability plan (cover to cover) the other night and that's what piqued my interest concerning Anderson County. There are 8 or 9 specific goals in the plan, published in December 2007. Among them was Anderson moving all public safety agencies in the county to Palmetto P25, which is to be a 5-site simulcast cell as I understood it. Another was a request for funding to upgrade 400+ SC DPS radios (SCHP, basically) to support P25 and Smartzone, for Anderson and Charleston Countys. A third goal was to establish a simulcast cell in Greenville County to improve coverage and presumably get GCSO to fully switch over (Narc and Vice use Palm 800, and I think county officers have 800MHz radios, but they're still on UHF).

Anyway, I'm curious to know what affect the downturn in the state budget has had on all of these plans and what the more realistic timeline is for acheiving these goals.

If you get a chance, and are interested in that sort of thing, and have some spare time, I suggest reading that report (there's a link to it on the SC Interop/Mutual Aid wiki page in the SC section of the Wiki). There's some interesting stuff in there.

mully95

The info in database is still the same as far as I know. I have to go mobile and drive toward Anderson to receive the new system. Since I dont carry a gun I rarely get anywhere close to Anderson. PD is dispatch only on VHF. Fire, EMS still on VHF and simulcast on system. I tried my best 800 Yagi but I just cant get it from here. Even when the towers are completed I assume you still will have to close to receive the system. It's not like all this WIDE AREA stuff we got on the 3600 system.

I know exactly what you mean. I can barely get the Anderson PD where I live ... which is off of HWY 24 near Ingles. The closer I get into town the better the reception. It really does suck. When Anderson PD was on conventional I could pick all of the transmission up just fine and clear. If all of the agencies are going to the P25 I might as well not even cut the scanner on unless I'm going into town. The simulcast of the Anderson PD only transmits the dispatcher .... I don't hear the police officer. I hated it when they switched over to P25!!

CaptDuck

Is Anderson PD Dispatch using different Talkgroup?

I haven't changed any programing in my BCD996T for several months.

Until recently (before the last 2 weeks) I have been hearing the Anderson PD Dispatch on the P800, Site 042, TGID 57792 which is designated in the RR database and my scanner as "Anderson PD Dispatch". I don't get anything there now. But have been getting a lot of traffic that I am 99% sure is "Anderson PD Dispatch" due to the calls and addresses given which are Anderson city addresses, over talkgroup 53712 on the P800 system using the O42 site. TGID 53712 which is designated as "Belton PD".

I downloaded the current programming into FreeSCAN to easily check it and everything still agrees with the RR Database.

BTW: I tried putting my scanner on hold on the P25 TGID using site 062 and TGID 41019 which is the P25 location for Anderson PD Dispatch and get nothing there. That TGID isn't locked out anyway.

Any Idea what is going on here?

LarrySC

And PD is on P25 TG 41019 and 5 others, however, you are the only one reporting an issue. Could be you missed a P25 setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.