Anderson SC area??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mully95

I live in Anderson SC and was wondering if anyone knows if the Anderson County sheriff (800 band Digital) is always encrypted or not?

The reason I ask is if I buy a Digital scanner would it be a waste of money since I wouldn't be able to hear them?

SCPD

QRT
Anderson County Sheriffs office has 8 talkgroups on the Pal800 system, only 1 of them is encrypted and is used for special occasions, such as raids or surveillance. You are safe to buy a digital scanner as there are no plans to go all-encrypted in Anderson. Keep in mind Anderson will be upgrading to a Motorola ASTRO25 system over the next 12 months, so make sure the scanner you are going to buy supports this type of system.

Happy Scanning!

mully95

Thanks.

The scanner I have in mind is the BCD396T. It only shows APCO 25 on the specs and not ASTRO 25. Will that scanner work?

SCPD

QRT
I'll research it and try to find out, but that question is better directed to the scanner guys around here. I work for a public safety department and therefore use Motorola XTS radios instead of a scanner, so I'm not as knowledgeable in the different scanner models. With that said, the new motorola system will be Project 25 compliant, which is also known as APCO 25, so I'm going to say yes it will work.

mully95

alex85t said:
I'll research it and try to find out, but that question is better directed to the scanner guys around here. I work for a public safety department and therefore use Motorola XTS radios instead of a scanner, so I'm not as knowledgeable in the different scanner models. With that said, the new motorola system will be Project 25 compliant, which is also known as APCO 25, so I'm going to say yes it will work.

Can you hear police traffic with the Motorola XTS?

SCPD

QRT
mully95 said:
Can you hear police traffic with the Motorola XTS?

Yes, the XTS series radios are what LEO's and Firefighters use, atleast those of us that are on 800Mhz. I personally own an XTS3000 Model III in VHF and 800 Mhz, and an XTS5000 Model III in UHF. Keep in mind these are radio's not scanners and they cost significantly more than a scanner and must be programmed with special software. Also, one cannot program a radio to a trunking system (i.e. Palmetto 800Mhz) without the system key from a radio system administrator. Putting an unauthorized radio on a trunking system is not usually a good idea and may lead to legal problems. Bottom line, stick with a scanner if you want to listen into the Pal800 system.

mully95

alex85t said:
Yes, the XTS series radios are what LEO's and Firefighters use, atleast those of us that are on 800Mhz. I personally own an XTS3000 Model III in VHF and 800 Mhz, and an XTS5000 Model III in UHF. Keep in mind these are radio's not scanners and they cost significantly more than a scanner and must be programmed with special software. Also, one cannot program a radio to a trunking system (i.e. Palmetto 800Mhz) without the system key from a radio system administrator. Putting an unauthorized radio on a trunking system is not usually a good idea and may lead to legal problems. Bottom line, stick with a scanner if you want to listen into the Pal800 system.

Ok....I was wondering. There is a Digital scanner for sale on ebay and the fellow said he no longer needs because he has a radio now.

Status
Not open for further replies.