Anderson SC talkgroups 41039 & 41040

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Protests are planned in Anderson starting at 5:00 pm today. I’ve been hearing activity on Palmetto-800 talkgroups 41039 and 41040 over the last hour or so. Appears to be city PD tac channels - I’ve heard references to street names in the downtown area.

N4DJC

One was mostly EMS check ins, the other was PD. I did hear them talking about a specific person, turns out he was a WYFF security guy. About all i heard otherwise was EMS calls for folks needing water because of the heat.

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I heard the same. The PD was using 41039, and EMS was on 41040. Each was dispatched through a Command Post. I'm not sure if these TG's are regular TAC channels, or if they were just temporary TG's. No reference to channel numbers or names was heard. I'll go ahead and submit them, then Brian can then determine if they should be added to the DB.

Of interest: A couple of times, EMS units talked about their MCI (Mass Casualty Incident) trailer on site. I was not aware that Anderson County had one of these.

N4DJC

I hear traffic on 41039 occasionally, sounds like some type of surveillance. No channel numbers, but I have heard names and ranks used on occasion.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
A couple of times, EMS units talked about their MCI (Mass Casualty Incident) trailer on site. I was not aware that Anderson County had one of these.
Most of the EMS in Anderson Co is provided via Medshore which is a private EMS company. The resources avalible to them are absolutely ridiculous. I know they have several MCI busses. They are on the list for us in Franklin County, GA if we ever experience an MCI.

SDR_Anderson

Feed Provider
One was mostly EMS check ins, the other was PD. I did hear them talking about a specific person, turns out he was a WYFF security guy. About all i heard otherwise was EMS calls for folks needing water because of the heat.
Hello N4DJC. Wanting to get starting scanning local police and ems in Anderson. Could you point me to a resource for scanners that work here? Thank you!

N4DJC

Hello N4DJC. Wanting to get starting scanning local police and ems in Anderson. Could you point me to a resource for scanners that work here? Thank you!

Most everything in the city and county is P-25 digital on the Palmetto 800 system. There is a simulcast system which can impact reception depending on your location. Do you have an idea of your budget, do you want a base or handheld?

SDR_Anderson

Feed Provider
That's why I am asking. Do I really needed to spend $400+. I have been listening to Broadcastify. Since Sat things have gotten weird. Feels like I could have a clue if I listened without interruptions. Ok, thanks. Might get that one for advanced techs.

N4DJC

That's why I am asking. Do I really needed to spend $400+. I have been listening to Broadcastify. Since Sat things have gotten weird. Feels like I could have a clue if I listened without interruptions. Ok, thanks. Might get that one for advanced techs.

At minimum you would be looking at a BCD325p2 or BCD996p2, they would require a separate programming software. Or a BCD436HP or 536 that could use Sentinel, both are far more capable. Thats only if you are in a location that doesn’t have issues with simulcast.

The SDS100 or 200 are the only two scanners that properly handle simulcast. I wasn’t convinced they made much of a difference until I bought mine, I was wrong. I was surprised how much traffic I had been missing. It’s a big investment and encryption can make scanners worthless for listening to public service . It’s a roll of the dice.

SDR_Anderson

Feed Provider
N4DJC I am interested in the 325. Because it's for techies. But I see that your saying it isn't ideal for my area because of Simulcast.
After reading this article it seems possible to mitigate the simulcast problem, at least a little. Radio Reference - Simulcast

I would rather not spend so much on a radio scanner. In this case I wouldn't buy one if it costs more than, let's say a gun or some other tangible thing. I do feel like paying attention to the goings on of emergency services is a good idea, but I am not convinced it could 100% save lives.

So if I could spend less than $400, well I might do that that. But at $500 plus, probably not.

I really seriously appreciate you guys talking to me. Thanks.

N4DJC

It depends on how close you are to a tower, take a look at the link below. It shows the tower locations in the county. I’m within a couple of miles of the tower near the DOT on Manse Jolly Rd (at the garbage dump). When I used a 325 it worked pretty well when stationary at my house. When I got in the car it wasn’t very good at all. You need a PC to program any of the digital trunking scanners. They’re just to complex to program by the keyboard.

I’d look at a 436, I got one for $350 on Amazon last year. It offers zip code programming to get you started, the DB is already on the microSD in the radio. It’s a lot more radio than the 325, has in radio recording, location control, lots of other features.

SDR_Anderson

Feed Provider
Well, thank you. I will check on that. I live in that ballpark also. The road with the washed out (bridge?) that got washed out twice this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.