Andrews Air Force base airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

station32

I am going to the airshow on the 17th and the 18th of May and i am wondering if anybody has frequincies. I already saw the ones on the RR database just wondering if their are any more than what is on line.
Thanks,
Joe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The March 2007 issue of MT had an article on the Joint Services Open House - due to copyright, I couldn't copy those freqs and put them into the wiki and database, of course, but you should be able to order a copy.

Don't forget to update your files with the new MT airshow listings as well. That link is in the wiki, and I'll post it here in a moment....73 Mike

[edit] Here it is - it's a PDF file...

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/MT_Air_Show_Guide_mar08.pdf

There is a 380 mhz trunk at Andrews; due to an official request, that trunk isn't documented on RR, but without naming exact sources (and thereby not attracting too much attention)...it's available on a link from here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Andrews_Air_Force_Base,_MD

and don't neglect checking in on the TRACON UHF freqs for flights coming in for the show (and if memory serves, there's a flyby a couple of days ahead of the actual show....)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Potomac_Consolidated_Terminal_Radar_Approach_Control

Last edited:

station32

thanks for the info it looks like a good show this year. I have never been to the show their so i am looking forward to it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a wiki article dedicated to reporting the freqs used at the JSOH. You can find it here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Joint_Services_Open_House

I've added a section for the 2008 show; please add to what's already here. You can edit this article, along with numerous others, by logging in first using your regular RR ID and password.

Thanks to all in advance who contribute

73 Mike

[edit] How about setting up files for the show? The UASD is pretty much the common denominator for the Uniden DMA scanners (most if not all the popular packages can import them), and .csv (or other) formats for everyone else. txt, usd and zip formats are permitted.

Last edited:

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
If the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, whichever the case may be, do a show on Friday, don't they usually show up the day before to do an orientation flight?

I know when the BA's fly over the Naval Academy, they fly in on Tuesday and do their tour of the area and then come back later in the day to do the show.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, I think you're right - it's the Blues this time around. In fact, freqhopping had them in the Milcom sticky thread on this board yesterday with a Media demo on 348.725 and tacs 284.25 and 237.8

Time to keep the freqs in the scanner

73 Mike

Last edited:

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
I was driving up route 7 near Asburn, Va. Tue or Wed about 1030 am and I saw a formation of fighters going east. They were puffing smoke like a vapor trail in dashes or burst. At first all I saw was the strange vapor trails and thought is that a pulse jet or something, then I saw the planes. They were small compared to the vapor trails that they were making. I guess they were about 8,000 ft. +or- or higher . I didn't have my scanner. I guess it could have been the Angels comming in to Andrews for the show. Let me know how the show goes. I hope the rain holds off for all of you.

BM82557

cowboywildbill said:
I was driving up route 7 near Asburn, Va. Tue or Wed about 1030 am and I saw a formation of fighters going east. They were puffing smoke like a vapor trail in dashes or burst. At first all I saw was the strange vapor trails and thought is that a pulse jet or something, then I saw the planes. They were small compared to the vapor trails that they were making. I guess they were about 8,000 ft. +or- or higher . I didn't have my scanner. I guess it could have been the Angels comming in to Andrews for the show. Let me know how the show goes. I hope the rain holds off for all of you.

Maybe you saw this The timeframe would be about right from when I saw them to the west of you.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Could have been. I have never heard of them before. They looked like T37s or maybe fighters. They were pretty high, which stands to reason as I'm sure you know that is a much used airspace for approach to Dulles. So they would have had to be fairly high to fly over. I was driving and couldn't take very long looks. You know how crazy the traffic is in N.Va. It was cool never the less ! I think there were about 6 of them. flying in a V formation. Thanks

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
Ranting

I just returned from the airshow,well not really the airshow,and not due to weather,but as i was told i was not allowed to bring and type of two way radio or scanner on to base due to secruity reasons.And the reall kicker to all this is I WAS JUST THERE YESTERDAY,with NO PROBLEMS at the secruity check point.So I tried to explain this to the "GUYS IN BLACK" with only police on their hats and shirts.But he explain to me because of base ops,secruity and tower channels, that me having a scanner could be a problem.So I was told that I could take my radios back to the car and come right up to the front of the line.But I just left instead,I guess I should have got his name and info,not so much to get him into trouble,but to atleast have a refernce name if this info is incorrect.But I am not going to make a federal case out of it.But if anyone knows any new info as to not being able to bring scanners and radios to the airshow please pass it along.I guess I will just try again next year.

eldoubleu

Just returned from the JSOH myself. I had my Pro96 with me, passed thru Security and even wore it on the outside of my camera bag (until the heavy rain started) while walking around the show. I don't know who those people wearing the generic "Police" shirts were, but the ones I saw appeared to be pretty unprofessional compared to the MP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.