Android App Takes Down Heart of National Weather Service Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

"The National Weather Service (NWS) website was severely hobbled after an "abusing Android app" interfered with its national digital forecast system, through which tens of millions get their weather forecasts each day.

On Monday afternoon at 4:11 p.m. ET, the NWS' Telecommunications Gateway posted a status message notifying its forecast offices, which are scattered throughout the country, of the problem..." -- Mashable.com

Android App Takes Down Heart of National Weather Service Website -- Mashable.com

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
That explains the difficulties I had accessing the site during the heart of the storm yesterday..

Wish I knew which app. If it's one I'm using, it's gone.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth (lol), I have 3 favs on my Galaxy S4: Radar Express, AccuWeather, and WeatherBug. I didn't check them earlier today, but they all seem to be operating normally at this time.

joeuser

The Wretched
They never named the app or the Dev, as I was going to remove it also. Then again, I mainly use my Windows Phone for weather. I have WeatherBug & AccuWeather on both platforms. My WP has three radar apps - all three pull from the NWS radar. I cannot believe WeatherBug or AccuWeather were involved & I haven't been updates for either in awhile.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The only Android apps that are weather related that I have are MyRadar, mPing, and Pykl3. When I want forecast or temp info. I open chrome and use the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.