Android Remote Display App

Status
Not open for further replies.

garetgarrett

its amazing how fast you were able to make this app!

Can you work on a 536 wifi app next?

Thanks. Say, don't I know you...?

Sorry, but 536 support is not really on my radar right now, unless you want to plug a bluetooth adapter into the rear GPS/serial port. I would have to wait until Uniden releases the wifi remote protocol and I don't have a 536 to test with.

This idea with this app is to bring wireless remote display capability to the older scanners. Don't worry though, that Siren app should be out in a couple weeks.

JamesO

Thanks for your encouraging remarks.

Wifi is a possibility (although serial-to-wifi adapters are fairly pricey -- around $100) I belive they provide a telnet-like interface, so only the connection code would need to be modified. It also should be possible to make this work over serial usb, if your devices supports it. I probably will not be supporting iOS, though.

I've got a bluetooth audio transmitter on order, should be here this weekend. It cost about $30. I'll post a link later. My plan is to record the audio, but it should also be able to play the sound through the phone. I'm sure you'll still be able to use handsfree devices in serial mode, but adding audio will preclude using any other A2DP connections.

I definitely need to add a volume control and mute. I was fiddling around with the scanner at home last night and had the volume turned way down so as not to annoy my wife. Got it back in the car this morning and guess what? I had to pull over and fish it out of the glove box to turn it back up.

The million dollar question with audio/A2DP is the will the phone actually receive A2DP or another form of audio?? Most of the phones transmit audio in some form, not receive it.

I wish you success, I have Android and a few 396XT, 996XT and HP1 and would be interested in seeing how this all works out.

Assume you could also support the HP1, however, not sure if the HP1 display layout would be a bit of a challenge.

Maybe if you are lucky, Uniden will hire or bring you on as a consultant??

Or they may hate you because you are possibly cutting into their x36HP product line up?

Anyway, keep up the good work.

You may find this is a stepping stone to your big $$$$ making App on the Play Store that controls the WiFi refrigerator or microwave or some other thing you have not even considered yet!

If you could develop an Android App that could emulate AirPlay and work with all the iProducts capable home theater gear, you could possibly make the big $$$. :D

garetgarrett

I'm In, my serial to bluetooth adapter will be delivered tomorrow. What is the name of the App?
Whoa, that was fast! I still haven't put it on Play store, but I promise I will as early as I can this weekend. Just a couple settings I need to tweak. I'll post a link here, but I guess I'm calling it "Bluetooth Scanner".

Which one did you get? You'll want to set it up at 115200 baud, 0 parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Also set the baud rate on the scanner to 115200, obviously. Let me know if you run into any difficulty.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Whoa, that was fast! I still haven't put it on Play store, but I promise I will as early as I can this weekend. Just a couple settings I need to tweak. I'll post a link here, but I guess I'm calling it "Bluetooth Scanner".

Which one did you get? You'll want to set it up at 115200 baud, 0 parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Also set the baud rate on the scanner to 115200, obviously. Let me know if you run into any difficulty.

Should go with "The First Bluetooth Scanner". Seems about right! ;)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I agree, iProducts can only do one thing at a time and are crippled, but rarely will you see accurate iProduct feedback from the punch drinking crowd.
I will take it that my earlier comments exclude me from "punch drinking" :D

garetgarrett

garetgarrett

How can you change the quick keys? Didn't see that in video.
You can't, I'm afraid. This app really doesn't do much besides provide a remote display. I rely on the GPS to control the systems/groups. Sounds like a good feature to add, though.

I use this while driving, and the touch screen isn't the easiest to use while moving. That's one of the things I didn't like about my Home Patrol. I'll start adding more stuff once I make sure the app works reliably for everyone.

tumegpc

I looked up the manual for that one and found it here: http://www.siig.com/media/files/manuals/0012/04-0775b.pdf You'll need a terminal emulator program to set it up. They recommend HyperTerminal, but you could also use puTTY: PuTTY Download Page

Setting up the adapter is the most painful part of this. Let me know if you have any trouble. I can write up a little how-to guide with screenshots.

Oh boy, I think I'll just order the one you had suggested. Is a terminal emulator required for that one?

garetgarrett

Oh boy, I think I'll just order the one you had suggested. Is a terminal emulator required for that one?
Yeah, the one you got works the same as mine. You'd have do this on any adapter. These things are made for a wide variety of applications so they have a bunch of settings, and the defaults won't work for us.

Don't worry, it's a one-time setup, puTTY is free, and I'll help you out. I'm assuming you already have a usb serial port adapter (or a real serial port on your computer) to program your scanner?

It's too bad all these adapters have different commands to configure them, otherwise I could build it into the app.

Also, one important question: what android version is your phone/tablet? I made this for 3.0 (Honeycomb) and higher, but I could support an older version if need be.

tumegpc

Yeah, the one you got works the same as mine. You'd have do this on any adapter. These things are made for a wide variety of applications so they have a bunch of settings, and the defaults won't work for us.

Don't worry, it's a one-time setup, puTTY is free, and I'll help you out. I'm assuming you already have a usb serial port adapter (or a real serial port on your computer) to program your scanner?

It's too bad all these adapters have different commands to configure them, otherwise I could build it into the app.

Also, one important question: what android version is your phone/tablet? I made this for 3.0 (Honeycomb) and higher, but I could support an older version if need be.

I have a USB serial port adapter that uses the Prolific chipset. Currently running it on the rear serial port of the 996XT with nul modem adapter. It also works with 396XT without the nul modem.

Phone is a Galaxy S4 with ver 4.3.

garetgarrett

I have a USB serial port adapter that uses the Prolific chipset. Currently running it on the rear serial port of the 996XT with nul modem adapter. It also works with 396XT without the nul modem.

Phone is a Galaxy S4 with ver 4.3.
Excellent, same phone as me. That's a good bit of info about the null modem on the 996. I thought people would be able to just plug the adapter right into the rear port, but they might need the null modem in between. It might work without it by switching from DTE to DCE on the bluetooth adapter.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Excellent, same phone as me. That's a good bit of info about the null modem on the 996. I thought people would be able to just plug the adapter right into the rear port, but they might need the null modem in between. It might work without it by switching from DTE to DCE on the bluetooth adapter.

I'm not 100% sure, but I "believe" you are correct about the DTE/DCE setting.

garetgarrett

I'm having trouble getting signed up as a developer on Google Play (and I also didn't know it was gonna cost me $25).

For the time being I have placed the .apk on sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bluetoothscanner/

You'll have to enable "Unknown sources" in your device security settings. Sorry about this... I'll try to get it on Play Store as soon as I can.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
As an avid (some say rabid) iPhone user, I say screw porting to iProducts.. Why cripple a product just to satisfy the users? I love my iPhone, but it's just too limited.. And the more I get into using my Android tablet, the more I see how really crippled my iPhone is.

Are you new to Android? Give it time and you will see why you have an iPhone.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm having trouble getting signed up as a developer on Google Play (and I also didn't know it was gonna cost me $25).

For the time being I have placed the .apk on sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bluetoothscanner/

You'll have to enable "Unknown sources" in your device security settings. Sorry about this... I'll try to get it on Play Store as soon as I can.

It keeps crashing on my S4.

Status
Not open for further replies.