Angeles National Forest LEOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

anf_r5

Hello,

I volunteer with the Forest Service and have the privilege of having a temporary residence here.

I scan all the local Fire, Search & Rescue, CHP, and Sheriff frequencies. I haven't found where the USFS LEOs are though. I've never heard them on ANF Net (172.37500) and the Law Enforcement Net freqs I've found seem to be outdated. I never hear anything.

Anyone know what frequency they operate on?

Thank you

anf_r5

I have tried those frequencies, albeit with a Radio Shack Pro-135.

Does it not do digital channels?

SCPD

QRT
The PRO-135 is not capable of receiving digital signals. P-25 is a type of digital modulation, the most widely used type.

When I was down in L.A. a few times in 2011 I heard some Angeles law enforcement units on the admin channel, 164.9375. The last time I was in the L.A. area early in December and I heard LEO's on it. I think it was early last year that I heard some Angeles LEO's on a pursuit one night on the Glendora Mtn. Road after the suspect drove recklessly through an area with a lot of pedestrians. The officer was told to terminate the pursuit due to the speeds involved but a backup unit was coming from the Baldy side and caught the suspect between himself and the original pursuing officer. They waited for the CHP and it took them quite some time to arrive. I think the traffic was on 172.375.

anf_r5

I always listen to ANF Net. I think I heard a Fish & Game officer there once.

I'll scan the Admin channel a bit to see if I hear anything on there. I haven't listened to it much since I only heard the recreation officers on there.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
anf_r5:

I revisited 166.125; 168.025 and they are quite active for law enforcement Both are P-25 unencrypted. The LEO's use the other channels too, but they mostly use the two channels I mentioned.

anf_r5

So its my scanner that's keeping me from hearing anything. This gives me an excuse to get a new one that does digital. :)

Thank you for your help!

SCPD

QRT
So 172.375 and 164.9375 aren't digital correct?

I can hear those.

Correct.

Use 151.430 to listen to Fish and Game. I don't know if you have taken advantage of the database on this site. It lists frequencies by agency and whether they are on a trunked system and what type of modulation is used be it digital, AM or FM.

You will also find a list of the frequencies used by the San Bernardino, Cleveland and Los Padres National Forests. Listening to State Parks can be interesting too. They use 800 MHz frequencies and are not trunked or digital. They are harder to hear depending on your location due to the more limited distance that 800 MHz signals travel. The L.A. County Fire Department responds to structure fires, medical incidents and traffic accidents on the Angeles NF. The L.A. Sheriff's Department responds with large helicopters to many of those accidents, many of which occur on the Crest Highway and involve motorcycles.

The Angeles is the most difficult National Forest in the country from a people management standpoint. San Gabriel Canyon tops the list of the most difficult areas to manage. From a fire management perspective it is one of the most dangerous National Forest. There is a lot of action on the Angeles.

This is a great hobby. For most of us the more we listen the more we want to hear. We like figuring out the procedures agencies use, their unit designator systems (some call them call signs), lingo and terms, and their channels plans. This website is the best on the internet for finding those things out. Take some time and explore the various forums. Spend time exploring the database. Make sure to click on the wiki page for each each database page as you will often find useful information. Read the forums and ask questions. There are a lot of people who like to help beginners. There are no stupid questions here, we all started from the same place you are. Many topics that are not covered in the geographically specific area forums are discussed in the general scanning forum. Here you can ask questions and read about how to use radios and ask questions that pertain to public safety agencies, utility companies and businesses.

Welcome to the hobby!

JayMojave

Hello Exsmokey:

Roger that, the ANF is difficult to monitor as what we hear here in Palmdale isn't what is heard in the San Fernando Valley, or else were.

There use to be a UHF frequency around 415.xxx MHz that repaeted a lot of the ANF radio traffic. But I understand it went down and for some reason was not repaired, maybe money reasons?

ANF between Palmdale and the Sunland and Tujunga is mostly burnt from the fires a few years ago. They have signs posted not to go into the burnt areas for what ever reason. But radio traffic is still out there.

Jay in the Mojave

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the linking that was on UHF moved to microwave links (as a result of Federal narrow banding in the last decade +) and the frequencies reused by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.