• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Angled radio consoles: RAM, Troy, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
I've likely settled on a full-size between-seats commercial console for the radios in my hopefully-soon-to-be-purchased Tahoe. I'm aware of the Troy Products and RAM-Mount models.

(1) Are there other reliable makers of similar full-sized (~25-30"), angled (i.e., the front is raised and presents a ~8-10" angled panel, then is flat the rest of the way back, as opposed to flat front to back) console systems?

(2) I did a quick price check, and Troy and RAM seem more or less competitive with each other. Any reason to prefer one over the other? Horror stories? Unexpected benefits? I really like the telescopic poles at the top of the RAM mounts intended for notebook mounting (which I might commandeer to mount two remote control heads up higher); the Troy product does not seem to have this. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

...R

fineshot1

(2) I did a quick price check, and Troy and RAM seem more or less competitive with each other. Any reason to prefer one over the other? Horror stories? Unexpected benefits? I really like the telescopic poles at the top of the RAM mounts intended for notebook mounting (which I might commandeer to mount two remote control heads up higher); the Troy product does not seem to have this. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!...R

I have no experience with the RAM product line but I have a lot of experience with the Troy Products line of equipment and their tech support staff and have nothing but great things to say about them.

I also like how well built the troy console equipment is(built like a tank).

You did not mention checking out the Havis-Shields or Jotto Desk equipment - see below

Havis - Laptop and Vehicle Mounting, K9 and Prisoner Transport

GoJotto

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a Jotto "Lazy-L" console in my Ford F-150. It is exactly what the OP described.

It works pretty well for me and Jotto has lots of different face plates available. The downside is that the "box" shakes side to side. It really needs some bracing to prevent that.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. It looks like the Troy Widebody is the current front runner, assuming I can get the dealer to sell me the equivalent of a 5W4 SSV. From what I've read here, I'm not hopeful. The 9L4 option does not have anywhere near the 12VDC current capacity as the 5W4 includes and will not meet my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.