Ankeny PD Freq's

Status
Not open for further replies.

infusion124

So I have had the Ankeny PD/Fire frequncies programmed into my scanners for years and I have noticed that I am not hearing all to much from them recently. In an 2 hour drive I heard nothing.. Usually there is something like a traffic stop, or even the police checking out for lunch. But I havent heard anything, I have checked my antennas and they are operating well.

So my question here is that I heard a rumor that Ankeny was gonna switch over to digital. So anyone know if this is true or did Ankeny have a super quiet day? Btw this has been happening to me a couple times.

LONG story short does anyone know if the above rumor is true?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Ankeny PD is now using the RACOM 800Mhz EDACS system. GID 1892 is dispatch, 1948 is also used (ive heard it referred to as channel 3)

Hope that helps

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
For what its worth, they are still in analog, just trunked. You can still monitor them with a trunk-tracking scanner. It's worth mentioning that P25 is in the works for this area in the near future, so keep that in mind if buying a new scanner.

SCPD

QRT
They still have and use 460.275 PL Tone-203.5 I have been monitoring the RACOM talkgroup 1892 and I have not heard any activity on it at all. I am in Ankeny right now receiving the new RACOM Ankeny tower really good I will monitor it all day and see if they have made the switch to 800MHz EDACS

SCPD

QRT
Ankeny Police

1892 is referred to as "Law 2" and 1948 is called "Cars" so it looks like they have joined the RACOM system

SCPD

QRT
Ankeny was dispatched by their own Dispatcher at the police station on 460.275. Now that they have switched to RACOM and have their own talkgroups I was trying to track the dispatchers radio ID-7977 and then when the Polk Co sheriff dispatcher came on she had her own Radio console ID-7971 so I think Ankeny police might still have their own dispatcher and radio console at the station. I couldn't imagine then laying off or firing the dispatchers.

Now as for the Ankeny Fire Dept. I believe they are still on the old VHF system dispatched by the County. I will be up there next Sunday monitoring the RACOM tower there and take note of all these questions and see what I can hear

SCPD

QRT
RR RACOM Page has Ankeny Police Talkgroup 1845 listed as Dispatch Linked to 460.275 I have never heard it used ever. I do hear 1892 used as dispatch they call it Law 2 so I wonder if there is a "Law 1 or 3?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Ankeny is dispatched out of the Polk County office where the rest of the dispatchers are. The old 1845 GID was an on-demand patch that would put the UHF system on the 800 system for interop, tho they haven't used it in a few months (probably since they were working on this transition). I would venture to say that 1845 is still considered LAW 1, tho it is deprecated.

Ankeny fire has yet to make a presence on the EDACS system, I have not heard when they will be moving. There is a lot of changes going on with all of Polk county fire units going native 800, I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg.

SCPD

QRT
I agree I hear the dispatcher say things like "your fire dept." and "In your city" so it would seem as if they have a spot in the com center there at county but I do not hear the same dispatcher (different voice) or see the same radio console being used to talk with them I keep seeing the same radio ID 7977 when talking to Ankeny units. In any case this is great for me now I can hear Ankeny car to car traffic at home way over in Jasper county now. I like how Ankeny has at least two active talkgroups, their own dispatch and cars TG makes it easier to monitor unlike Altoona I have to listen to county dispatch everyone and their brother and hope I catch the dispatch for Altoona or Mitchellville. I like RACOM EDACS as long as they stay analog I don't want to buy a digital scanner if I can avoid it.

Dave

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
If I were to buy a p25 capable scanner will it pick up what they are using now? And does anyone have any recommendations on a good portable p25. Been listening to analog for years I guess it's time to upgrade.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I would enjoy the analog EDACS while it lasts, not sure what is going to happen this summer when they make the big switch.

IowaGuy1603

I agree I hear the dispatcher say things like "your fire dept." and "In your city" so it would seem as if they have a spot in the com center there at county but I do not hear the same dispatcher (different voice) or see the same radio console being used to talk with them I keep seeing the same radio ID 7977 when talking to Ankeny units. In any case this is great for me now I can hear Ankeny car to car traffic at home way over in Jasper county now. I like how Ankeny has at least two active talkgroups, their own dispatch and cars TG makes it easier to monitor unlike Altoona I have to listen to county dispatch everyone and their brother and hope I catch the dispatch for Altoona or Mitchellville. I like RACOM EDACS as long as they stay analog I don't want to buy a digital scanner if I can avoid it.

Dave
Ankeny has been dispatched by Polk County Sheriff dispatcher for several years.

SCPD

QRT
I enjoy monitoring the EDACS system, there are plenty of towers within reach of my 346 and I like to find these new talkgroups that pop up that are barely used like The Corps of Engineers or better yet the County Attorney. This is why it's a good idea to "ID Search" every now and then to find new rarely used TG's.

I wish RACOM would issue TG's with more numeric consistency like other large systems in the county do. I find that most the 1800 series of TG's are Polk County but there are a few Odd balls that throw you off during search like the 1900 series of Talk Groups the first few have Medical Helicopter s around here all but Mercy Air they like the old VHF 155.340 88.5 PL mostly all the time and now 1892 for Ankeny but the the cars to cars TG is 1948 why not 1893?

Last edited:

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
cant go any longer

Does anyone know when the P25 switch is going to happen or should i just go by a trunking scanner so i can listen now? Will any trunking scanner at radio shack pick them up? thanks guys just sick of not being able to listen.

IowaGuy1603

Does anyone know when the P25 switch is going to happen or should i just go by a trunking scanner so i can listen now? Will any trunking scanner at radio shack pick them up? thanks guys just sick of not being able to listen.
I saw a news release from Racom.........here it is

"Polk County Board of Supervisors plan to move ahead quickly with Phase II of their EDACS to P25 migration. Thanks to everyone who has made Phase I successful - RACOM is honored for Polk County's continued support"

I would not be buying a NON P25 scanner because the migration will happen sooner rather than later. I would guess within a year or so.

RS has P25 scanners--------So does almost any place that sells scanners

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Do you know of a link online anywhere for just Ankeny? If not would you go with Uniden or RS

IowaGuy1603

Do you know of a link online anywhere for just Ankeny? If not would you go with Uniden or RS

I don't understand what you want a link for.................the frequencies /talk groups are under Polk county now NOT Ankeny

I have no preference but Uniden used to make many RS scanners.....GRE made the recent RS scanners but they are out of business right now with Whistler taking over the product. It is unknown if Whistler will be making scanners for RS right now.

I own 2 GRE PSR800's and am happy

Status
Not open for further replies.