Anne Arundel County FY2015 Budget- Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anne Arundel County Executive Neuman had here FY2015 Budget address this morning. Here is a transcript.

I picked a couple parts that pertain to radio communications:

"In Fiscal Year 2014, I allocated funds to begin the upgrade of the Fire Department’s outdated radio
communications system that is not capable of communicating with our neighboring jurisdictions such
as Prince Georges County, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, BWI Airport or the State of Maryland.
Our county has no cross-jurisdictional coordination capability!

In my proposed Fiscal Year 2015 budget, $1 million is dedicated to the next phase of upgrades to
increase interoperability with our surrounding state and local jurisdictions… and ensure that our Fire
Department is P25 compliant, meaning it meets the FCC standard for Public Safety voice
communications.

Anne Arundel County citizens deserve no less when it comes to public safety.
Our basic communications support for all first response agencies is outdated. There is also $3.5
million included to modernize the radio system infrastructure used by our public safety sectors. Their
current communications system will be at the end of its service life within the next two years."

http://www.aacounty.org/Budget/Resources/2015/Budget_Message_Absolute_FINAL.pdf

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
That seems like enough money to upgrade the consoles to MCC7500s and drop in a few SmartX boxes at the site controllers. A step in the right direction. EOL just means they can't buy replacement parts. AA's system infrastructure is actually newer than quite a few other neighboring systems.

troymail

Silent Key
We'll see what happens but I think the majority of these dollars are going to go to round two of trying to get a new CAD system in place. There are several items in that text that are obviously incorrect (I really don't think the County sent a ladder truck on every medical call and there are various interoperability options in place - just not always the most current)

Status
Not open for further replies.