Anne Arundel County New CAD System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchristie07

Is this that web-based CAD system? Like Tiburon or one of the others? Sounds like it might be.

Of course, any time you change ANYTHING the Luddites who wear uniforms immediately claim that the new system is a failure, because it doesn't look or work like the old system. They can't even be bothered to give it a chance or learn how it works, it's just crap automatically. WAAAAAH!

Nothing surprising about this article.

Did you even bother to read the article? It's not just a change, the new system doesn't contain prior call information or premise warning information that is critical for first responders and puts them in danger going into a call cold with no history. Is that a growing pain that they will just have to deal with?

Also, Tiburon is not web based. They have web based viewing software, but their CAD and mobile software are native applications. Where is it you get your information from again?

ResQguy

Meh
I can understand not having much prior call information available in the new cad. Maybe the old data is stored in an antiquated citrix database that can't be migrated to the new format? Over the next few months, there will be plenty of prior information accumulated in the new system. Besides, if there is a long history of dangerous situations at certain addresses as implied, wouldn't it make sense that the police & fire units that have experienced it could help to write the caution notes for the new system? It's not like with a new CAD they brainwashed the responders so they have no recollection of past events. Of course, in the areas where police beats have changed they physically removed the prior responder from the equation- maybe that should have waited for another time to occur. Anyway, the newspaper article makes it sound like if there were no computers involved the world would end! Good thing I carry a notebook.

troymail

Silent Key
I can understand not having much prior call information available in the new cad. Maybe the old data is stored in an antiquated citrix database that can't be migrated to the new format? Over the next few months, there will be plenty of prior information accumulated in the new system. Besides, if there is a long history of dangerous situations at certain addresses as implied, wouldn't it make sense that the police & fire units that have experienced it could help to write the caution notes for the new system? It's not like with a new CAD they brainwashed the responders so they have no recollection of past events. Of course, in the areas where police beats have changed they physically removed the prior responder from the equation- maybe that should have waited for another time to occur. Anyway, the newspaper article makes it sound like if there were no computers involved the world would end! Good thing I carry a notebook.

Amazing how people cannot function without computers..... what did we all do before computers and cell phones?

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I just read where the county is going back to the old CAD system.
No other details were provided.

Well, it's highly likely that they never stopped using the old one cold turkey, that would be irresponsible. Typically they run both systems in parallel until they are confident that the new one can meet their needs.

I'm guessing they told the vendor of the new system to "fix their junk", then they will give it another stab in the near future. Watch for that event.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
County Police Chief James Teare announced Friday morning to his officers the department would revert to the system it used before Dec. 6, as county staff works to address problems with the computer software. He said the change — which will affect four other county agencies — should occur Tuesday.

The police department also will revert next week to the district and post designations it used before Dec. 6.

County will turn off new dispatch system • Public Record (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

jchristie07

Well, it's highly likely that they never stopped using the old one cold turkey, that would be irresponsible. Typically they run both systems in parallel until they are confident that the new one can meet their needs.

I'm guessing they told the vendor of the new system to "fix their junk", then they will give it another stab in the near future. Watch for that event.

How could it be feasible to run both systems in parallel for any length of time? It would require someone entering the same data into 2 systems, and then leaves room for errors. For an agency that large it would take a ridiculous amount of manpower and time.

neilromesburg

Premium Subscriber
I thought the justification for the $6.6M state of the art CAD system was the "old" system was going to stop working on 1/1/2012. Not they say they are going to bring it back online for 30 days, what happened to the Y12K issue that was the reason for buying the new system in the first place? Interesting development!

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anne Arundel Fire Department is on Conditions Red and Yellow for the switchover tonight.

Fire and Police are switching back from the new CAD to the old CAD at 11 PM tonight.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Matt-

Thanks for the tip--I've been listening at shift changes since last night, waiting for the switch over. We should start calling you "Scoop."

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Matt-

Thanks for the tip--I've been listening at shift changes since last night, waiting for the switch over. We should start calling you "Scoop."

lol

It should be interesting hearing the officers having to go back to their old callsigns and beats. They finally learned them and now have to switch back.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Dispatchers are operating at Headquarters Dispatch Centers and at the Reserve Communications Center.

It seems that Police are still switching. Fire already switched

Engine 261 had the first call on the "Old System."

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
From the Capital Newspaper:

The 11 p.m. switch - which effected only the dispatch system, not the county's new report management system - occurred without incident, officials said.

County Executive John R. Leopold estimated it would take 30 days to fix the system, but union officials this morning openly doubted the vendor could meet that deadline.

Arundel Digest • Local (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Status
Not open for further replies.