Anne Arundel County- New Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anne Arundel County Chief 11 (Orchard Beach) was on scene of a box alarm earlier. Chief 11 and Fire Alarm were talking on Delta (his radio identifier was not showing up). Chief 11 advised that he was utilizing a new "APX" portable. He also advised that he had a new APX mobile.

The whole county getting new radios?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Someone do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their current Astrocapable system reaches end-of-service-life in two years. Last I heard, the Executive's office was pushing to upgrade the whole shebang to full-on P25.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Few VFD in Anne Arundel have been getting new APX radios, it is going to that direction, but very slowly.

troymail

Silent Key
Those units on the edges of the county that run into neighboring jurisdictions started getting radio upgrades a while back to be more compatible with those systems. I don't think it's countywide. I guess as money becomes available and/or someone presses the need, you'll see more new radios.

I was talking to a guy that works at AA County fire communications recently and he said he didn't expect the County to get a new system for several more years (implied as long as 4 or more years) but I thought it had to be done sooner. Of course, there are deadlines but many waivers have been granted from narrowbanding and other requirements recently.

We'll see....

emtLarmy15

End of life just means Moto won't support the system (ie parts ect)
A large system like AA will probably stock pile parts to let it be repairable for a few extra years if need be... Not to mention all of the other systems nationwide being upgraded will yield tons of used parts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Someone do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their current Astrocapable system reaches end-of-service-life in two years. Last I heard, the Executive's office was pushing to upgrade the whole shebang to full-on P25.

The infrastructure maintenance and support will be at the end of its service life in fiscal year 2016. It was installed in 2001.

troymail

Silent Key
The infrastructure maintenance and support will be at the end of its service life in fiscal year 2016. It was installed in 2001.

If we believe what we're seeing/hearing, this situation isn't stopping other counties (i.e. Worcester/Ocean City) from staying on their old system(s).

In some ways, this may be good -- keep it as long as possible - but be careful that it isn't really costing you more in the long run and/or will potentially result in a need for a sudden, urgent system upgrade/replacement without proper system planning and build out.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
If we believe what we're seeing/hearing, this situation isn't stopping other counties (i.e. Worcester/Ocean City) from staying on their old system(s).

In some ways, this may be good -- keep it as long as possible - but be careful that it isn't really costing you more in the long run and/or will potentially result in a need for a sudden, urgent system upgrade/replacement without proper system planning and build out.

Agree. Lets just hope that they actually do some planning beforehand and bring everyone to the table so we don't have to experience what happened before with the CAD system.

Status
Not open for further replies.