Anne Arundel County Questions and New Unit Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

baydog

What areas do the MSP Glen Burnie patrols #s refer to? As in, “Pxx you have patrols 1 and 2.

Why does MSP refer to AA County Fire as “fire board”?

New (to me at least) AA County fire units recently heard.

Ambulance 457 - Ft. Meade FD
Truck 35
Medic/Engine 9

I’ve also been hearing MNRP 7xx units checking in with Tawes. Any ideas where they operate?

pasadenamd

Medic-Engine 9 used to be stationed at Station 21 (Medic-Engine 21). Probably due to the ALS shortage in South County, the County moved the Medic-Engine from 21 to 9.

Truck 35-I think it has been around a while.
Ambulance 457-I heard that once, I also think it is new.

Last edited:

chief34a

Each Barrick divides up the area that they cover into patrol areas. For example Calvert is divided into 3 patrol areas, north, central, and south. Most cars are assigned to a certain area to patrol and those assignments are given during rollcall. At times the assignments have to be changed so that is why you would hear a car told that he would have patrol 3 or patrols 2 and 3.

"Fire Board" comes from an old tradition in the fire service. Many counties in Maryland had a board of directors that controled the radio system, box assignments, hiring and firing of dispatchers, etc. This board was generally referred to as the "Fire Board". I believe Charles Co still has a fire board. Anyway it became common practice for the police to call the fire service the fire board when requesting assistance from the fire/EMS service. Kinda along the lines of "100 years of tradition unhampered by progress".

Hope that helps...........

baydog

"Fire Board" comes from an old tradition in the fire service. Many counties in Maryland had a board of directors that controled the radio system, box assignments, hiring and firing of dispatchers, etc. This board was generally referred to as the "Fire Board". I believe Charles Co still has a fire board. Anyway it became common practice for the police to call the fire service the fire board when requesting assistance from the fire/EMS service. Kinda along the lines of "100 years of tradition unhampered by progress".

Hope that helps...........

I figured there was some sort of historical twist to "fire board". Thanks for the info.

troymail

Silent Key
Medic-Engine 9 used to be stationed at Station 21 (Medic-Engine 21). Probably due to the ALS shortage in South County, the County moved the Medic-Engine from 21 to 9.

Truck 35-I think it has been around a while.
Ambulance 457-I heard that once, I also think it is new.

Yup - ME21 (Hanover / Arundel Mills area) crew were transfered to E9 (Harwood-Lothian) to provide additional ALS coverage in the South County. Station 21 still has a Medic unit (MU-21) just like it did before the Medic Engine was put there.

Truck 35 (Forest Dr) used to be Truck 36 (Eastport/Bay Ridge) - I believe with the opening of AACo Station 8 last Spring (to include a Pumper Tanker being housed there) resulted in Tanker 35 being moved to become Tanker 5 (Waugh Chapel)... This freed up space at Co. 35 to put Truck 36 in a better place to improve response (but this is just a guess).

Ambulance 457 - who knows what FT Meade is doing... there was a time when they said they were going to phase out ambulances and rely more heavily on the County to provide coverage.... Discussion I heard on the radio last week suggested that at times they actually have 3 medics on duty now...

dpm797

Truck 35 was TK36.......the ladder truck you are referring to was placed in service as TK39. A new TK39 identical to TK36 is in the process of being ordered.

dpm797

Placed out of service because of ladder/tower issues that were to expensive. Rumor was it would cost almost as much to fix it then to replace it.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Some counties still refer to their dispatch as "fireboard" on the radio (in lieu of "communications" or "dispatch"). I think Saint Marys may. A few in southeastern PA do.

baydog

I'll have to watch for ESU 35 on the road in Annapolis.

I heard BC 4 last night/early this AM on a second alarm house fire in southern AA County.

I forgot to mention earlier that the Anne Arundel County EOC is active on Fire/EMS TG 272 "india".

pasadenamd

I'll have to watch for ESU 35 on the road in Annapolis.

I heard BC 4 last night/early this AM on a second alarm house fire in southern AA County.

I forgot to mention earlier that the Anne Arundel County EOC is active on Fire/EMS TG 272 "india".

When was the Second Alarm fire?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
For clarification's sake, is ACCU-1 Anne Arundel County's command post or Annapolis City's? (Annapolis has their own command post as well.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.