Anne Arundel County Radio System Upgrade

maus92

Premium Subscriber
At a cursory exam, it looks like these are additional site licenses for the new frequencies, and adding a new site in Hanover - Teague water tank. The P25 system is supposed to be 12 channels, and the existing system has 16, so it looks like the will have 8 "spare" channels to use in the transition. IDK.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
December 10, 2019 Update:

Since its last status update, the County has accomplished the following:
• Site acquisition and detailed design review processes are ongoing. The system design is nearly
complete. Factory staging of the new system is scheduled to occur in Summer of 2020.
• FCC licenses have been granted for all sites in the new system, with the exception of one site
in Crownsville, MD where it was necessary to abandon the site that was originally selected
(see below).
• Site designs are nearly complete for all but one site and building permit application and review
processes are scheduled to begin this month.
• System design processes (e.g., LMR system design, microwave backhaul system design, fiber
backhaul system design) are 80% complete.
• Earlier this year, the County experienced a setback with one of the twelve new tower sites
proposed for the new system.
o The Section 106 review for a new 450’ tower proposed for Crownsville, MD
revealed that the County-owned parcel where the proposed tower was to be
built lies within a Historic District that was created for Crownsville State
Hospital, which has been found eligible for inclusion in the National
Registry of Historic Places.
o The Maryland Historic Trust advised the County to find another location for
this tower site.
o The County has initiated a land acquisition process with the State of
Maryland to obtain a nearby parcel of land that is outside of the Historic
District. Transfer of the parcel from the State to the County requires an
internal State clearinghouse review and approval process, which has been
initiated.
o The County anticipates that this setback will add approximately one year to
the overall project schedule for this project. At this time, we do not believe
that this setback will impact the five-year extended implementation deadline
that applies to WQYS649.

Maybe late 2021/2022 for switchover?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
December 10, 2019 Update:

Since its last status update, the County has accomplished the following:
• Site acquisition and detailed design review processes are ongoing. The system design is nearly
complete. Factory staging of the new system is scheduled to occur in Summer of 2020.
• FCC licenses have been granted for all sites in the new system, with the exception of one site
in Crownsville, MD where it was necessary to abandon the site that was originally selected
(see below).
• Site designs are nearly complete for all but one site and building permit application and review
processes are scheduled to begin this month.
• System design processes (e.g., LMR system design, microwave backhaul system design, fiber
backhaul system design) are 80% complete.
• Earlier this year, the County experienced a setback with one of the twelve new tower sites
proposed for the new system.
this tower site.
initiated.
that applies to WQYS649.

Maybe late 2021/2022 for switchover?
They only have 2 years left in the 5 year extension, and they state that they should remain within the period - so end of 2021. Maybe.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
this tower site.
initiated.
that applies to WQYS649.

Because our lives are less important than that abandoned dump that continues to scar the landscape. I'll be so happy when we can tour the future asylum gift shop or whatever they turn that place into.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Jesus, at this rate their smartzone system is gonna fry itself long before they finish building the new one.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So this morning I was listening to VHF dispatch on the Unication radio and the dispatcher *sounded* like AI. The female voice was very fast, and had only slight pauses between words and phrases. No mistakes. Followed CAD script without embellishment. If she was human, she was very good - but too fast IMO. She had a regional African / American accent that would be unusual, at least for earlier versions of AI dispatch. I'm sorta leaning towards that she was human and not AI, but her dispatches were impeccable. The male dispatcher I heard later today on the TRS was definitely human, with longer pauses and was more descriptive - varying a bit off the standardized CAD script / call type.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure COVID is going to push that back even more.
Capital projects are funded by bond issuance, not tax revenue. Probably won't affect the schedule that much, particularly since there is a contract in place.

empire550

Premium Subscriber
So this morning I was listening to VHF dispatch on the Unication radio and the dispatcher *sounded* like AI. The female voice was very fast, and had only slight pauses between words and phrases. No mistakes. Followed CAD script without embellishment. If she was human, she was very good - but too fast IMO. She had a regional African / American accent that would be unusual, at least for earlier versions of AI dispatch. I'm sorta leaning towards that she was human and not AI, but her dispatches were impeccable. The male dispatcher I heard later today on the TRS was definitely human, with longer pauses and was more descriptive - varying a bit off the standardized CAD script / call type.

It was a live dispatcher.

baydog

AAFD dispatch sounds really bad this AM ( not that it is ever that good anymore) at my location. All sorts of squeals, buzzes, and garbled audio on TG 16 and station alert (154.010). Operating TG's seem OK.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
AAFD dispatch sounds really bad this AM ( not that it is ever that good anymore) at my location. All sorts of squeals, buzzes, and garbled audio on TG 16 and station alert (154.010). Operating TG's seem OK.
Weather?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A Motorola tech just called Fire Alarm about lines down with smoking wires on Alpha; called back again requesting county police for traffic control - people were driving under them. Lol. RID 30440.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Annapolis Police dispatchers ("radio") are currently working off of portables - apparently their consoles are down. Not sure how / if they are connected to the county's 911 system / CAD / infrastructure.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Annapolis Police dispatchers ("radio") are currently working off of portables - apparently their consoles are down. Not sure how / if they are connected to the county's 911 system / CAD / infrastructure.

I believe their CAD maybe separate since a few years ago, they had bids out for a new CAD system. Not sure of who they ever choose.

RDGDigital

I believe their CAD maybe separate since a few years ago, they had bids out for a new CAD system. Not sure of who they ever choose.

I believe you're right as I was in Annapolis yesterday, and I heard a couple of County officers talking with the City Dispatcher. From their conversation, it was obvious that Annapolis City had their own CAD, but they were having difficulties communicating with the County's CAD system.

I don't want to go into details since this is police business and I don't like to discuss this in an online forum. But, it was obvious that the City's CAD was working just fine, but not the County's CAD.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
• Detailed system design work with the County’s radio system vendor, Motorola Solutions, Inc. is 100% complete. Factory staging and testing of the new system is scheduled to occur in September 2020.

• Site acquisition and regulatory approval work associated with new tower construction is complete at 21 of the 22 sites proposed for use with the new radio system. Permitting, final approval and civil construction processes are under way for 21 of the 22 sites proposed for use with the new radio system.

• The County experienced a setback with obtaining regulatory approval to proceed with construction at one of 22 sites proposed for use with the new network. As a part of the Section 106 review process, on May 20, 2019 the County was formally notified by the Maryland Historic Trust ) that that the location of a proposed new tower for this system lies within a historic district that has been established for Crownsville State Hospital. The property and buildings in this historic district have been found eligible for inclusion in the National Registry of Historic Places. Representatives from the Maryland Historical Trust strongly encouraged the County to relocate the tower on land outside the boundaries of the historic district. The County initiated a new site acquisition process for this location and identified a suitable parcel for a replacement site, on land owned by the State of Maryland approximately one mile south of the original location. The County has initiated engineering and regulatory processes for the new location, and the County and the State are finalizing a lease agreement to allow County use of the property for the new site.

• The County will continue with system factory staging, site construction and implementation at the remaining 21 sites while finalizing its lease agreement with the State of Maryland for the replacement Crownsville site. The County will continue to provide annual status updates to the Commission per 47CRF90.629.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like in-building coverage testing on the SmartZone system - possibly a BDA install in a school. Mentions stairwells, kitchen, boy's bathroom, different sectors and divisions of the buildings, etc. Hearing tests counts and "loud and clear."

Ops on tg 6864, which is frequently used by Motorola techs. RIDs 27302 and 45991.

800mhz

I have read thru the thread. I apologize if I missed it. Is AACO going to be Phase 1 or 2?Any encrypted talkgroups?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have read thru the thread. I apologize if I missed it. Is AACO going to be Phase 1 or 2?Any encrypted talkgroups?
Likely Phase 2 because they are reducing their frequency set.

ENC for police is up in the air, however any plan to do so will likely be re-evaluated in light of the public's demand for more accountability. Doubtful the fire side would use ENC for operations, but maybe for admin and likely for investigations.