Anne Arundel County Radio System Upgrade

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Looks like site prep work is beginning at the new tower site at Station 7 (Arundel VFD) near 450 & 424. Note that there is already a commercial tower at that location. There is also an existing monopole at the new Lothian tower site, although it's hard to tell if construction has commenced there. The Crownsville site has a digger parked at the old USCG Loran site next door.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Brooklyn Park Library monopole site has started civil work (if you consider laying a gravel driveway a start.)

IMG_6786.jpeg

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Since a project was cancelled, I had the spare time to do a lot of site visits today. There seems to be more activity than I expected to see. I'll be posting some updates over the next few days.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Broadneck Park site in Annapolis is having major electrical work - several new cabinets installed, and more in the parking lot. This is one of the original 800 sites, and actually has a shelter building, along with a precast shelter that was probably installed when the system was refreshed / rebanded 10 or so years ago.

The Solley site is also under active construction - looks like new transmission line has been run up the tower structure, maybe a new generator and shelter. Solley also has a cinderblock building that appears to date back to when the 800 system was first installed.

Greenbury Point looks untouched, but has always had multiple shelters and backup generators.

Jessup VFD Co 27 site looks to have new antennas. Probably other new equipment but inaccessible.

The new site at Shipley water tank near Arundel Mills looks to be complete with a new shelter and fencing, although the antennas look used, lol.

The new site in Piney Orchard / Odenton water tank site also looks to be complete, but with new antennas.

The new Hotel District site near BWI appears complete. This is a weird looking short commercial tower equipped with lower gain antennas, but on a relatively high elevation for the area.

The Northern District site appears to be updated with new antennas and shelter.

The Old Eastern District site also appears to be updated. The adjacent fire station is being replaced with a permanent structure under construction - too bad it on't be totally visible from the road.

The Gambrills / Crofton site looks to be completed.

The two sites that I have not seen recently are the Maryland City site and the Sudley site.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So the big news today is work has finally commenced on the relocated Crownsville site - and it going to be erected at the old USCG Loran site. The Loran antenna has been razed, and construction vehicles were on-site this afternoon. Hopefully there will be no further real property related delays.

As for the Maryland City site: it is not located at Company 27 as I previously thought. It is another water tank site near the Waxter Center. There is a new shelter on site, but once again the antennas look old. It is still under control by the contractor (Pyramid,) so maybe new antenna haven't been mounted yet. The tank could also stand a new paint job, lol.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
For those who are interested in built-environment archeology, this is what the old Loran site in Crownsville looked like last week:

IMG_6788.jpeg

maus92

Premium Subscriber
They are moving along quicker then I expected

I’d like to have one of those in my backyard lol
Maybe you should make an offer, lol. It was likely in poor condition since it has been out of commission for a number of years. I didn't see any evidence of the structure on the grounds, so they either scrapped it or hauled it back to the USCG.

As far as moving along, yea it looks like they are finally making detectable progress (in the sense of seeing new infrastructure being installed / constructed,) but it has been a much delayed process.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Lothian site is now under construction as far as civil work is concerned - gravel access road and grading of the site. Looks like a tower will be erected nearby but not replacing the commercial monopole. Probably SHA owned land as it is adjacent to Rt. 4.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Millersville site has a new foundation poured for a shelter and generator.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
The Lothian site is now under construction as far as civil work is concerned - gravel access road and grading of the site. Looks like a tower will be erected nearby but not replacing the commercial monopole. Probably SHA owned land as it is adjacent to Rt. 4.

Where in Lothian is it ? I wonder if AA County will keep that Waysons talkgroup going ? I would assume that would fill the gap in there. Will Calvert or PG have anything on the new site ?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Where in Lothian is it ? I wonder if AA County will keep that Waysons talkgroup going ? I would assume that would fill the gap in there. Will Calvert or PG have anything on the new site ?
The Lothian site will be in south county adjacent to MD 4 and an existing cell tower, and appears it will cover the Waysons area previously covered by a tg linked to the Prince Georges system. The original plan had new sites on existing towers in Dunkirk and Upper Marlboro, but was revised to host all sites within the county's borders.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Another note on the New Crownsville site. The tower site is currently being prepared adjacent to the existing MIEMSS tower in Crownsville, and not on the old Loran site next door. The same company that is erecting the new tower sites apparently had the contract to remove the old Loran tower - perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Davidsonville site has the piers for the tower legs completed (and filled in the huge hole.)

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anne Arundel County Government Facebook Page Today:

This week you may notice a low flying helicopter in Anne Arundel County. Planned construction on the Solley Public Safety Radio Tower and the Arnold Wells Pubic Safety Radio Tower will be taking place Wednesday, October 20 through Friday, October 22 and a low flying helicopter will be transporting materials for the towers. If you notice the helicopter, please know that it is for planned construction work and continue on with your day.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Brooklyn Park site has been slightly graded, aka not much going on atm. A landscaping contractor was sitting in his truck though.