Annoying chirp at end of (some) P25 calls using trunk-recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

smsscottsmith

Premium Subscriber
Ello, so this is irritating me... Here's a feed I recently put up of a single conventional P25 system. It's a Raspberry Pi and a RTLSDR using a piece of software I've otherwise not used before setting this up -> trunk-recorder

Anyone have any idea what this obnoxious "chirp" is that can be heard at the end of many (most) of the calls? I figure it's probably related to OP25 or some other portion of trunk-recorder but I have no idea where to start with diagnosing and ANNIHILATING it.

Here's the last recording at the time I wrote this post and it begins with a transmission that includes that sound.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a regular scanner that can receive the system? If so, is the chirp heard there? If yes, it could be MDC1200 data bursts.
If not, it could be something in Trunk Recorder. Its been a while since I ran that but I do not remember anything like that.

smsscottsmith

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a regular scanner that can receive the system? If so, is the chirp heard there? If yes, it could be MDC1200 data bursts.
If not, it could be something in Trunk Recorder. Its been a while since I ran that but I do not remember anything like that.

Thanks for the response. I've listened to the raw P25 signal as well as decoded it through other means such as DSD+ Fastlane and sdr-trunk (on Windows) and have never heard such a thing. I am using trunk-recorder mainly because I saw instructions on how to set it up for the purposes of Broadcastify streaming, albeit for a trunked P25 system.

boatbod

I figure it's probably related to OP25 or some other portion of trunk-recorder but I have no idea where to start with diagnosing and ANNIHILATING it.
Must be op25's fault, even though neither variant of op25 has that problem when run on their own. :rolleyes:

While it is true that the developer of trunk recorder grabbed code from an earlier version of op25 to implement his P25 protocol handler, that does not make the application in any way related to, or dependent on op25. Both apps are open source and developers are free to reuse whatever code they deem suitable (with appropriate attribution), much like op25 itself has reused code from numerous other sources including trunk88, mmdvm, gr-smartnet, gr-fsk4, ezpwd, and so forth.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have yet to dive into sifting through that link Dave posted but I will let the solution be known in this thread.
You can sift if you like and possibly find someone that had the same issue but if you sign up and post and describe your problem, someone will likely respond. Its not the quickest board but those guys know trunk recorder very well.

smsscottsmith

Premium Subscriber
Even with a quick glance I saw the issue I'm having strewn all over the place, HEH. It'd actually be rude to make a new thread about it...

slicerwizard

I used it as a reference when developing smartnet support. Curiously it seems that trunk-recorder got there first because there are strong similarities between the two in the OSW decode routines.
I don't follow. Is there a TRUNK88 that I'm unaware of that has released source code?

boatbod

I don't follow. Is there a TRUNK88 that I'm unaware of that has released source code?
Maybe I misspoke... I have sources for something most definitely smartzone related in a directory called "wtrunk" but it seems devoid of any names/copyrights showing where it came from or what it is. Dates place it circa 1999-2000.

slicerwizard

Maybe I misspoke... I have sources for something most definitely smartzone related in a directory called "wtrunk" but it seems devoid of any names/copyrights showing where it came from or what it is. Dates place it circa 1999-2000.
Ah, no worries. Yeah, "wtrunk" sounds like it might be "Windows Trunk(er)", but I'm not familiar with it.

smsscottsmith

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing mention of the issue but no solution, heh... Since I'm not even dealing with a trunked system, maybe I should just use some other software...

I attached a sample file that's been shortened and had most of the silence removed. Again - if anyone has any ideas ... I can't be the only person encountering this problem around here.

Heh... I'm used to DSD+ Fastlane which actually just sounds terrible in comparison to this but that sound is ear-blasting.

Attachments

• 202208220834-422895-38531.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

smsscottsmith

Premium Subscriber
I joined their discord. Will post here if I have joy. Apparently the version in the broadcastify image is very old. So that's a starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.