Annoying noise on CHP green and blue frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman

Anyone know what's going on? I've been hearing this for some time now, sounds like a geiger counter to me.
Hearing mainly on the green. but once in a while the blue also.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I started hearing this early this morning. Each radio would stop on a different frequency simultaneously (they're each typically scanning different stuff). One would stop on CHP Valley Blue, one on CHP Valley Gold and one on an Air Guard Emergency frequency. I probably didn't see Green as I already had 2 radios on other CHP channels, but it certainly could be there or other places too.

The noise lasted a few seconds but would return again at random intervals. Considering the footprint of what I was hearing, I suspected it is "atmospheric" and not "radio system" related. But I've seen and witnessed some interesting things this week including the new high temperatures and the earthquakes in eastern California.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I started hearing this early this morning. Each radio would stop on a different frequency simultaneously (they're each typically scanning different stuff). One would stop on CHP Valley Blue, one on CHP Valley Gold and one on an Air Guard Emergency frequency. I probably didn't see Green as I already had 2 radios on other CHP channels, but it certainly could be there or other places too.

The noise lasted a few seconds but would return again at random intervals. Considering the footprint of what I was hearing, I suspected it is "atmospheric" and not "radio system" related. But I've seen and witnessed some interesting things this week including the new high temperatures and the earthquakes in eastern California.
I would go with OES working on the system as well because it's being sent over CRIS on the Gold channel and *MANY* officers and dispatch have complained about it covering units/dispatch.

Regards,

-Frank C.

They also been working on radio upgrades all week down here in Monterey county. I heard the dispatcher reply to a unit say it might be something with the new console radios in the office.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
It's the microwave controller commands heard before the link drops out - it needs adjustment.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
... one on an Air Guard Emergency frequency. ...
Anyone have an explanation for this concerning bit? Do you mean 121.5 or 168.625? Radar gone amok? That's what the original "geiger counter" description made me think of.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been in front of the same radio combination (which has AIR GUARD) since the first time so I don't know if that's continuing. It is 168.625 MHz. I am still hearing the transmissions on Valley Blue Base. When this happened the first time it made me wonder if it was some interaction between the radios.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I haven't been in front of the same radio combination (which has AIR GUARD) since the first time so I don't know if that's continuing. It is 168.625 MHz. I am still hearing the transmissions on Valley Blue Base. When this happened the first time it made me wonder if it was some interaction between the radios.
Well, that's pretty close to the 4th harmonic of some of the 42 MHz channels, but those are usually way down on the list of potential culprits. Still possible, though, if a transmitter goes squirrely, antenna issues, etc.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It just happened, and I confirmed Valley Gold, Green & Blue. I wasn't able to check more before it ended. I agree that it's not atmospheric in nature.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
They are doing a lot of work on the microwave system right now. I was watching a crew work on the Flea Mountain antennas on Friday via the ALERT Wildfire camera. I also watched a crew working on Weed last week.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
They are doing a lot of work on the microwave system right now. I was watching a crew work on the Flea Mountain antennas on Friday via the ALERT Wildfire camera. I also watched a crew working on Weed last week.

No state equipment or tower on Flea. That new tower is PG&E's new tower.

Norman

I just turned on my CHP frequencies after being locked out for about a week now. Sounds like traffic on the Green is now on the Blue.
Sounding good so far, no issues. I guess they are working on the Green?

Norman

Mon morning, just heard dispatcher say that the Green has been down for several days, not sure when back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.