Annoying permissions error HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have most of my programs stored and run from an external hard drive F: But when I try to run some things from that drive I get this stupid error....see below pic called "f drive" So I researched on Youtube and didnt find anything I could understand, but came across a site that mentioned "icacls" so this is some kind of file that shows permissions...see pic below called "icacls".....still makes no sense.....I went to command prompt to invoke "icacls" command and was able to change permission but still doesnt work.....see pic below called "command". I am at a loss. Normally I can figure out my problems on my own but this has got me stumped. I dont know enough about permissions. I am the only user of this computer. I run many programs off the F: drive. It is a conventional hard drive. My C: drive is an SSD so I didnt want to clutter it up with stuff I can store on external drive. Computer is DELL Optiplex 390 with 16 GB ram. Processor i5. OS is WIN10. It is annoying because I can understand the C: drive having all sorts of permissions but not an external drive. How can I open permissions on my F: drive? I use DSDPlus as my sdr program. I made a BACKUP copy of the DSDPlus folder and stored it on F: drive in a folder called "BACKUPS"......I tried to run DSDPLus from that folder and keep getting this error. After doing the "icacls" command in the "BACKUPS" folder, when I click on the "1R" executable batch file to start DSDPLus, I dont get the error, but bat file wont start. HELP!

Attachments

• F drive.JPG
    F drive.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 17
  • icacls.JPG
    icacls.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 14
  • command.JPG
    command.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 10

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You're focusing on file permissions when they may have nothing to do with your problem.
The only reason I assumed it might be related was under properties for my F drive there is at bottom of attachment "Special permissions" DENIED.....I am not a computer expert so I am trying to troubleshoot the problem. As far as I know there shouldnt be any issues running executable files from an external hard drive.

Attachments

• sd.JPG
    sd.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 7

bharvey2

See if you can right click the executable file or the icon shortcut to it and run it as the administrator. As slicerwizard mentioned, it may not be related to file permissions.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
See if you can right click the executable file or the icon shortcut to it and run it as the administrator. As slicerwizard mentioned, it may not be related to file permissions.
I tried that....its crazy. The only thing I have to go by is the pics I attached. My level of computers is about medium so this is beyond what I know. The funny thing is there is a duplicate folder (DSDPLus) on SAME DRIVE and all executables run fine from it. I wanted to make a backup of my DSDPlus folder, so I made a duplicate and dropped it in the folder "BACKUPS" which is also on the F drive. Only I cant run anything in that F:\BACKUPS\DSDPlus folder! I can run F:\Programs\SDSPlus with no problem. If this is not a permissions issue I have no clue what else it might be.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Well, maybe you should show us this DSDPlus folder that's in your backups folder.
Here are screenshots of the entire contents of my DSDPlus folder located in my BACKUPS folder...
@bobruzzo

I found a similar issue.

It's been a annoyance since Windows 7. I found articles dating back to 2009 on the same issue.
It makes no sense. I have my regular DSDPlus folder on the SAME DRIVE! All files work in there! It also affects my Downloads folder on that drive. I end up having to MOVE things off to C:\ in order to run, but not always. How can this NOT be a permission issue? The pics I posted clearly show "Special Permissions" DENY! And there is NO WAY to UN DENY it! Idiot Micro$oft.

Attachments

• dsd1.JPG
    dsd1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 5
  • dsd2.JPG
    dsd2.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 4
  • dsd3.JPG
    dsd3.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 4

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I did try something interesting. I MOVED the backup DSDPlus folder into my F:\PROGRAMS folder and ran DSDPLus from there and it WORKED. So this error must be related to creating a NEW folder on external drive. I checked all my other Programs running in F:\PROGRAMS and they are all fine and under Properties show NO REFERENCE to "Special Permissions DENY". Maybe Windows don't like it when you run programs on external drives? I have an SSD and trying to minimize read/writes to it. So for the heck of it I created a "New Folder" checked its "security" properties and sure enough theres that damn "Special Permissions DENY" in there! Even if I run the Command prompt screeen in Admin mode I still get this stupid "DENY". Even if I try to change permissions (see pic moron2) you can see that the "Special Permissions " is MUTED OUT where I cant set it!!! So creating NEW FOLDERS in my F drive gives me this problem.

Attachments

• moron.JPG
    moron.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 3
  • moron2.JPG
    moron2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 3

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK after putzing around I was finally able to fix. For some reason the option to change/delete this attribute became editable so I deleted it and now I no longer have this issue! I made new folders and they are FREE of that "special Permission" thing. I also found in the Properties of my F drive "Unknown account" listed along with the other valid accounts. I read up on it and DELETED it. Now my F drive is no longer plagued by this permission problem. I wish I knew why this strangley fixed itself. I guess we can close this thread!:)

bharvey2

Glad you got it working. In an effort to increase security, Windows permissions schemes have increased in complexity over the last few generations. I've run in to some perplexing scenarios.

As an aside, is the photo above your name a clip from the old Myst game series?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it working. In an effort to increase security, Windows permissions schemes have increased in complexity over the last few generations. I've run in to some perplexing scenarios.

As an aside, is the photo above your name a clip from the old Myst game series?
I can totally see this kind of protection for SYSTEM FILES. But for the average computer user, who doesnt have nuclear missile codes on their PC, we should have the option of MINIMAL permissions. Hahaha no that photo is one I made myself when I got bored of my previous photo. However I do like Myst and remember playing it years ago. Theres a Youtube guy who does a complete walk thru of the first Myst with high def resolution and it was quite nostalgic to watch.

bharvey2

The change in permission scheme has gone a long way in reducing system wide anarchy when a virus or malware finds its way on to you computer. However, It can also cause you grief if you step outside of Microsoft's way of doing things.

I've never much of a video game player but a friend of mine bought me a copy of Myst many years ago. (25-30 years maybe??) Not sure why your photo reminded me of the game, funny thing. Maybe I'll go browsing on Youtube to see if I can find the walk thru you mentioned.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The change in permission scheme has gone a long way in reducing system wide anarchy when a virus or malware finds its way on to you computer. However, It can also cause you grief if you step outside of Microsoft's way of doing things.

I've never much of a video game player but a friend of mine bought me a copy of Myst many years ago. (25-30 years maybe??) Not sure why your photo reminded me of the game, funny thing. Maybe I'll go browsing on Youtube to see if I can find the walk thru you mentioned.
Well I agree that keeping viruses/malware out is good, they should at least make it easier to make adjustments. In myst there are crude videos of the 2 "brothers" one evil and one good who try to direct the players to bring the "blue page" or "red page" back with them. This is what u are probably thinking of. The game is extremely cryptic and finding some of the clues is almost impossible! If you have a few hours to spare and were a fan of this game, this Youtube episode is pretty interesting. Search on youtube for "Jonathan Paula Myst" and some episodes show up. You have to look for the first one. I think he divided the video into 2 parts but I cant remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.