Anolog question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexmaster

Premium Subscriber
I know everything is going to StarCom low band and fast. I can't or should say I am having a very hard time keeping up!

First off I picked up an old hobby. I did this when I was a kid and loved it. I'm in my late 30's married and probably why I am picking up a hobby again! (reason to rebuild the radio room and put a lock on it!)

I started off again with Radio Shacks Pro 107 easy scan (I HATE IT). The S.D. card thing is o.k but I am going to upgrade to something much better and fast and digital and NOT Radio Shack!. I did find a way to program this thing manually with the S.D. card plugged into the computer thank god instead of using the mostly useless reprogrammed freq;s it came with. Yes I got the firmware update and library update. I have found most of what I want to listen to. But I can't get Elgin Il for the life of me. Have they gone low band already?

Last question. When I read low band will be encrypted, will digital scanners be able to pick up police still or not? If not I don't see the reason to spend more money due to the fact the whole country from what I understand will be Starcom21 soon. One more question, I have the money what Base scanner should I buy? I know you can't carry these things in your car or at least if you do don't get caught! When I say I have the money I am referring to about $500 limit. I have to keep Dish network active to keep wife out of radio room!

Thanks guys

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Check the " database forum" for ILL-Kane Co, Elgin has rebanded there freqys and system, u need the new "tables" to hear them...U can purchase a nice RS106 digital scanner on sale till the 8th for $299.99....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know everything is going to StarCom low band and fast. I can't or should say I am having a very hard time keeping up!

First off I picked up an old hobby. I did this when I was a kid and loved it. I'm in my late 30's married and probably why I am picking up a hobby again! (reason to rebuild the radio room and put a lock on it!)

I started off again with Radio Shacks Pro 107 easy scan (I HATE IT). The S.D. card thing is o.k but I am going to upgrade to something much better and fast and digital and NOT Radio Shack!. I did find a way to program this thing manually with the S.D. card plugged into the computer thank god instead of using the mostly useless reprogrammed freq;s it came with. Yes I got the firmware update and library update. I have found most of what I want to listen to. But I can't get Elgin Il for the life of me. Have they gone low band already?

Last question. When I read low band will be encrypted, will digital scanners be able to pick up police still or not? If not I don't see the reason to spend more money due to the fact the whole country from what I understand will be Starcom21 soon. One more question, I have the money what Base scanner should I buy? I know you can't carry these things in your car or at least if you do don't get caught! When I say I have the money I am referring to about $500 limit. I have to keep Dish network active to keep wife out of radio room!

Thanks guys

Good luck getting back into the hobby again, and YES you can have it in your vehicle in illinois, but other states have their own rules on this. :wink:

n9zas

ilgrant

Not sure what you mean by 'low band'. Starcom in Illinois is in the 700 Mhz or 800 Mhz band.

Elgin re-banded their frequencies. In the process I believe they dropped their RF footprint. I used to receive it here in the central part of DuPage County until the re-banding occurred.

If an agency on Starcom uses encryption there isn't any scanner that will pick them up. At this point I have heard encryption in very rare cases (i.e. known Investigations talkgroups.) But your area of interest may vary...best to check which agency you want to listen to and verify that encryption is not being used.

My last 2 digital scanners were used and purchased on Ebay. I was able to purchase a 996XT in the $350 range.

In Illinois there is no issue with having one in your car as long as you aren't doing anything criminal. Other states have their laws that may prohibit their use in a vehicle.

Welcome back to the hobby.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Question

I'm confused... When you say "low band" what frequency range are you referring to?

Also, in many downstate areas Starcom is only used by State of IL agencies- the locals are staying analog VHF-Hi. I just completed a census for our EOC- in my county I can count the non-state Starcom radios on the fingers of both hands. Half of them were unplugged gathering dust on a bottom shelf and very few even knew what they were, much less how to use them. I can state that my home agency has one, actually turned on to the regional B talkgroup, and several of us know what it is for and how to run it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.