Anonymous Submissions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro25

Why is it that, if you elect to remain anonymous when you submit your data (for whatever reason), that the Database Admin can still see who submitted it? (however they are informed that the person wanted to remain anonymous)

Doesn't this fully defeat the purpose of the "Anonymous" checkbox? :confused:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Why is it that, if you elect to remain anonymous when you submit your data (for whatever reason), that the Database Admin can still see who submitted it? (however they are informed that the person wanted to remain anonymous)

Doesn't this fully defeat the purpose of the "Anonymous" checkbox? :confused:
Not in the least. All submissions are filtered through DB Admins. Nothing you submit goes directly into the DB. The Anonymous checkbox is to notify the DB Admin not to make public, in any way, that you submitted that data. It is sort of relic from the TrunkedRadioNet days when each TRS page had a list of people who contributed the data to that page. When RR started, that was dropped from the TRS pages and was never included in the conventional pages; however, if you submitted data and did not check the box, the record of submission was included in the sheet of top submitters. If you checked it, you were not included.

The reason the DB Admins must know who you are is so that you can be contacted if there is a question on the submission.

twister19

loumagg said:
if you submitted data and did not check the box, the record of submission was included in the sheet of top submitters. If you checked it, you were not included.

wut ever happened to that top contributors page, i can no longer find it...

SCPD

QRT
Not in the least. All submissions are filtered through DB Admins. Nothing you submit goes directly into the DB. The Anonymous checkbox is to notify the DB Admin not to make public, in any way, that you submitted that data. It is sort of relic from the TrunkedRadioNet days when each TRS page had a list of people who contributed the data to that page. When RR started, that was dropped from the TRS pages and was never included in the conventional pages; however, if you submitted data and did not check the box, the record of submission was included in the sheet of top submitters. If you checked it, you were not included.

The reason the DB Admins must know who you are is so that you can be contacted if there is a question on the submission.

One had to be REAL careful what they submitted back in the TrunkedRadio.Net days, wasn't but a few people with realiable system info and if their City or Radio manager(s) found out they posted sensitive stuff on the internet, they'd be shot on site! - My how we've progressed!

D

DaveNF2G

Anonymous isn't really the right word. The site's policy is that the identity of contributors, which is known to DB admins, will be kept confidential.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Some of the submissions I have received are truly anonymous.... overstuffed manila envelopes with intel inside taped to the windshield of my car, typed notes that appear in the mail and even a few text messages sent from throw-away cell fones.....

SCPD

QRT
Some of the submissions I have received are truly anonymous.... overstuffed manila envelopes with intel inside taped to the windshield of my car, typed notes that appear in the mail and even a few text messages sent from throw-away cell fones.....

That was probably the US Marshall's Radio system by someone running from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.