Another 396 vs. 436 set of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleop

I'm headed on vacation soon and that trip usually includes a stop at HRO along the way. This year I thinking about buying a new scanner to replace my worn out 246t. I've looked at the 396 and the 436 and between the two there is about a $30 difference. From what I can tell the 396 does not come with the USB programming cable and the 436 does. So having to buy the cable for the 396 is where I get about a $30 difference in the two.

The primary trunked system I would listen to is the Tennessee Advanced Communications Network which is this system. Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN) Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Looking at the list the only agency using TDMA that's near me that would be of interest to me is the THP. Looking at their talk groups they have Digital Talk Groups and TDMA groups but the TDMA groups are listed as encrypted so having a scanner that can do TDMA would be of no real use to me.

I'm guessing that TDMA isn't just a virtual switch in all of officer's hand sets so it's not likely there would be a mass upgrade of radios by any department that's bought new hand sets for this network in the last few years.

Another thing I like to do while on vacation is listen to Military Aircraft flying around the gulf. Are either of these radios decent radios for listing to Aircraft in the 200-300mhz AM range? I currently drag along an iCOM R3 and while it does a good job the interface on the R3 sucks.

For what I'm primarily using the radio for is there any point in spending the extra cash for the 436 over the 396?

Premium Subscriber
Because the Tennessee system is phase 2 it's the 436 as the 396 will not work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.