another 396xt antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
My Wife bought me a watson "WSMA-881" for Christmas, i've been using the old antenna from my very old realistic Pro34, not even sure what kind it is, but it works great! it's about 8 inches long 1/2 inch dia, flexible, I can't tell much difference if any between the two antennas.and the wsma is very long and inconvenient for a handheld.
so my questions are.

1. what kind of antenna is the one from the Pro34?
2. is the wsma-881 worth the $?
3. what would be the best most practical antenna for the 396xt?

I know the answer to the 2nd and 3rd questions will be opinion based, so bring it on.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
My Wife bought me a watson "WSMA-881" for Christmas, i've been using the old antenna from my very old realistic Pro34, not even sure what kind it is, but it works great! it's about 8 inches long 1/2 inch dia, flexible, I can't tell much difference if any between the two antennas.and the wsma is very long and inconvenient for a handheld.
so my questions are.

1. what kind of antenna is the one from the Pro34?
I have no idea as far as the Pro-34 antenna.
2. is the wsma-881 worth the $?
I've never used the Watson (WSMA-881), but it looks very similar to the Diamond RH77CA.
That antenna works well on Vhf-high & Uhf, and acceptably on the stronger 800MHz trunked systems. I use the Diamond antennas (I have a couple) for scanners that are programmed with the closer systems, or with more VHF-high channels. You don't get the more distant 800MHz with it, but it's a good air or rail antenna, and is tuned for amateur radio bands.

3. what would be the best most practical antenna for the 396xt?

I know the answer to the 2nd and 3rd questions will be opinion based, so bring it on.
For the 396XT that I carry with me, I use the old reliable R/S 800MHz antenna. Good 800 reception, good Uhf, and acceptable on Vhf-high (for what I monitor on a daily basis, especially during my commute). Of course, you have to use the SMA->BNC adapter, but not a big deal. The shorter length is a smaller target for the scanner to get knocked over, or for the antenna to catch on something if you have the radio hanging on your belt or a pocket.

N8IAA

Try the Watson WSMA-801. Have had very good results with it. I have the sma and bnc version of the SRHF10. It is adequate for strong 800MHz signals. Good for close up VHF/UHF signals. For 800MHz, you can't beat the RS/GRE 800MHz whip.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.