Another bad day at the shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
Took my pro106 to have the shack send it off to see why it would not pick up conv. freqs. the longer it would stay on and a bad lag on talkgroups. Anyway took it on monday the 3rd,went by this morning(6th) to talk about it while I picked up a part I had ordered. He said it was not sent off yet been waiting on me to come back and give more info on what it was doing.I'm not going to put in writing what I said to him but sure game him a multiple choice of words I said you got my*&^%# phone number why not call, he pulled it out from under the counter and said I will do it right now just get yourself under control. I said you do know that people are shooting places up these days don't you? (wonder why) Then I got on the subject on their support because you can't talk on the phone to anyone or even e-mail them then some jackass like you throws it under the counter and says I been waiting on you. He knew he forgot it as soon as I walked in the door because the other jackass turned and said something to him and he turned to look at me. Anyway a hydro and cup of coffee I got myself under control. I will post it when or even if they fix it. who knows after that scene he may have sent it far far away.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
were you honestly expecting any better? you need to call up or swing by tomorrow to remind them to have the FexEX man pick it up when he comes by!

scupking

Yeah they don't no much. When I went and bought my PRO 164 this past week the girl didn't even know they had them in stock. I said I checked your web page and it says you do. She checked her computer and said "oh look it shows we have three but I don't know where they are". She then had to get someone else to help her find then in the back. Came out with the box and the box was bulging as if someone opened it or it was used. I brought it home and it was missing the antenna. Went right back to RS and got another one. This time I opened the box checked everything over and it was good. I went back yesterday to pick up the USB programming cable. The same girl is like oh its over by the computer chords. I checked and there was not one. She said it shows we have seven of them in the store. She went around and checked all the shelves but couldn't find them. She then went to the back and got it for me.

kmbrly

I imagine that it all depends on what store you visit. My husband bought my scanner from a shop in a town 30 miles away. They were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I, however, have visited two different RS stores since my husband bought my scanner and both times, I was rushed out the door after being unimpressed by the lack of knowledge held by the staff. Do they discourage browsing, or something?

Kel415, your salesguy sounds lame. I hope he gets his act together and doesn't lose your scanner.

K

kb0nly

Sounds like what always happened to me, website shows them in stock, computer in store shows them in stock, but they can't find it in the store. WTF people?? How do you run a business like that? You want hundreds of dollars for a scanner but can't find it??

Anyway i gave up on The Shack as they call themselves now... Nothing in there anyway, well other than cell phones and expensive overpriced gold plated audio cables...

mechman4

Radio Shack

I sent out a scanner to get fix many moons ago PRO43 and I'm telling you those people are the dumbest people I have ever seen. The store manager was a total idiot.
I had a copy of a letter were they should send my scanner out for repair
It should go to there Fort Worth location. These idiots sent it first to somewhere on the east coast first
It sat out there for a week and then sent it to the Fort Worth location ( following its movement on the UPS website)
After about a week and a half I saw it on the UPS web site it arrived at the store.
I stopped by the store to pick it up and the person at the counter said it never arrived.
I showed this person a copy of the UPS sheet that it did arrive and this person started to look for it with the store manager.
They finally found it and then I ripped the store manager another *******.
Boy,did that feel good

VE3RADIO

Sure the people who work at radio shack are mostly useless and dumb.. but what I cant for the life of me figure out is why the people on this forum think they should be smart and knowledgeable. How much effort would you put in to a retail job for 8-10 dollars an hour? These people are not educated and probably never will be, so stop complaining about how little they know. Bad customer service is another thing, but then again if you came in to my store and talked down and swore at me I would have punched you right in the face... so overall I think he did pretty good.

grumpy_hermit

I find it much less stressful to order stuff online. I hate it when I ask a question and a store's sales person picks up the box and reads it. Ummm, I've already done that, thank you. Now I'll go home, log on to a forum, find the info needed to make an informed purchase and place an order. Easy, relaxed and generally less expensive. :)

K

kb0nly

Sure the people who work at radio shack are mostly useless and dumb.. but what I cant for the life of me figure out is why the people on this forum think they should be smart and knowledgeable. How much effort would you put in to a retail job for 8-10 dollars an hour? These people are not educated and probably never will be, so stop complaining about how little they know. Bad customer service is another thing, but then again if you came in to my store and talked down and swore at me I would have punched you right in the face... so overall I think he did pretty good.

Yeah and if you actually did that bye-bye store...

Seriously, its a fine line these days, everyone is in a hurry to sue sue sue... The only people making money these days are lawyers.

There is a reason why i have hobbies, to relax after listening to a-holes all day.

pdisher

Premium Subscriber
I just sent my PRO 96 to G & G Communications - Scanner Radio Sales & Repair Guy seems OK, Just arrived and should take 3-4 weeks. These folks fix mostly scanners and I am hopeful I will receive prompt courteous service, Let's hope!
Asked to have the earphone jack shorted to for better performance while using an external speaker,I don't think RS would entertain such a request...

Update to follow when the radio is returned

kel415

Premium Subscriber
were you honestly expecting any better? you need to call up or swing by tomorrow to remind them to have the FexEX man pick it up when he comes by!

Did not go by but did call and he assured me it was off to fort worth and he did say he was sorry that it was his fault and it should not have happened. This man has been at this store for 10yrs or more. I in turn said I was sorry also.And if he would have HIT me!!!! no worry, dead men don't talk.

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
I went in to the local RS to buy a 9 v ac-to-dc adapter for my PRO-164. Decided on a 800 ma model and the idiot sales clerk tried to talk me out of it; recommending a 500 ma model. He told me that the 800 ma model {are you ready for this} put out too much current and would probably burn up my radio. I was so taken back all I could do was just look at him. Bought it anyway, told him I would hold him blameless and left.

kel415

Premium Subscriber

Seriously, its a fine line these days, everyone is in a hurry to sue sue sue... The only people making money these days are lawyers.

There is a reason why i have hobbies, to relax after listening to a-holes all day.

Your so right kbonly letting your tempature go can be trouble, I remember when circuit city let all the high trained people go and they went downhill fast, new help did not know anything so customers went else where and they were the talk of the town just like the shack, almost seen several fights in their stores. Guess I need to clam down and get over it

dougjgray

I went in to the local RS to buy a 9 v ac-to-dc adapter for my PRO-164. Decided on a 800 ma model and the idiot sales clerk tried to talk me out of it; recommending a 500 ma model. He told me that the 800 ma model {are you ready for this} put out too much current and would probably burn up my radio. I was so taken back all I could do was just look at him. Bought it anyway, told him I would hold him blameless and left.

He may not be 100% wrong there is a slight chance that if you recharge batteries in the radio they could get hot and melt the radio with the higher amps. but I think its a long shot for that to happen, I know that in my fast charger nimh batteries get pretty hot after charging

VE3RADIO

That is why I do not work in retail sales :)

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
He may not be 100% wrong there is a slight chance that if you recharge batteries in the radio they could get hot and melt the radio with the higher amps. but I think its a long shot for that to happen, I know that in my fast charger nimh batteries get pretty hot after charging
I could be wrong (am most of the time, just ask my wife) but it seems to me that there's a greater danger in using a power supply that's rated too low in amperage than one rated too high.

Your absolutely correct concerning the heat from recharging NiMH batteries. My camera batteries get really hot. (I only use alkaline in the scanner however).

KE4RWS

Poor Radio Shack . . .

Your experience in a Radio Shack store will depend on the store and the salesperson's level of experience regarding whatever it is your interested in. I know everyone has their own RS horror stories but I would always look the part(s) up ahead of time either online or in their catalog which I always kept at home or work. Then I'd call the store and actually give them the part number so they could check it against the pos system. They would usually say it was in stock but I'd ALWAYS ask them to physically check to make sure it was there, as there have been countless times they'd say there were 3 in stock, only to arrive and find out they had NONE. Of course, you never knew if they *really* physically checked for you or just lied that they did . . .

Even when they physically check for inventory (or at least "say" they checked), there would still be times I'd arrive and they'd tell me they "thought" it was here somewhere, or it would be a demo that had been handled for 2 years. Yes indeed, I've had some mighty fine experiences in RS stores over the years.

But I have to say there was one store that had a young girl working there who knew her stuff and she was always up on radio related items, parts, etc. She may not have known what every part did but when you asked her where something was she could take you right to it. Most other stores had people who didn't know a 9-volt battery from a paper bag, and it showed. Although I never expected perfect service whenever I visited an RS store, it would always chap my @$$ when I did all the work for them and even called beforehand, only to be later be told "it was here before and I don't know what happened to it".

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.