BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Another BCD436HP Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6RDC

Well I've had my bcd436hp for about a month now so I thought I'd post my thoughts
on this scanner. I sold a 396t and a homepatrol to fund the purchase and I couldn't
be happier. Reception is great, on Motorola 800 MHz trunked systems as well as
VHF high and low (local FD and highway patrol). Audio is good, no complaints.
I really like new features like different color alert LED, I use blue for local sheriff,
red for fire dept, green for CHP, magenta for ambulance, etc.
Programming with Sentinel software is great, started off from day one with favorite
lists for my area. Set avoids, delay times, alert led color, etc. and send it to scanner.
I like the ability to edit text tags, some are too long to view in display or I just want to
identify it my way. No problems with software or sd card.
I conducted my own non-professional antenna tests. I compared the original antenna
to the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna, the Radio Shack 20-006 center loaded telescoping antenna along with a couple of my ham radio HT antennas, the Diamond
RH77CA ( dual band with receive up 900 MHz ) and the Diamond SRH320A (tri band with
receive up to 900 MHz ).
The original antenna was ok, not too bad actually but the RS 800 MHz antenna was noticeably better on 800 MHz trunked reception as well as VHF high. The Diamond SRH
320A was pretty close to the RS 800 MHz on 800MHz and noticeably better on VHF low but unfortunately mine has an SMA connector and when tigtened down was about 1/16"
away from the case of the radio. Seemes too risky for breakage if scanner falls over.
The Diamond RH77CA worked well on 800 MHz, maybe not quite as well as RS 800MHz
but worked the best so far on VHF high and low. This is important to me since local Cal Fire is on VHF high and CHP ( highway patrol ) is on VHF low. So all around the RH77CA
performed the best. It's 16.5" tall though so it does make the scanner a bit unwieldly, have to be careful and a little tall if you want to carry the scanner on your belt.
The RS 20-006 was hands down the best all around, this has been the case on other scanners I've had. Really makes my 436hp shine, especially on VHF high and low and right there if not a little better for 800 MHz trunked. But as anyone who's had one of these knows it's 26,5" tall and is not really usable on a belt and I always have to be aware when using it. But for $15 it's a good antenna to have. I've had 2 of them for years and have yet to have an accident. Your mileage may vary, these are my own results in my area with no test equipment other than my ears.
Is there anything I miss or wish for with the BCD436HP? Sure, multi colored display and
maybe a couple of other minor things but all things considered I really like this scanner and am glad I bought it. Homepatrol was nice for me but it's only a table top scanner. I like hand held scanners, use it on a table if I like but grab it and go if I want to. In my opinion Uniden has got a good product here, just hope the analyze feature comes soon and adds to an already good product.
Thanks,
N6RDC

XTS3000

Analyze would be nice to have right now, but at least it's free when it does come out (unlike the HP-1 where it's $50-100).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Good Review

Well I've had my bcd436hp for about a month now so I thought I'd post my thoughts
on this scanner. I sold a 396t and a homepatrol to fund the purchase and I couldn't
be happier. Reception is great, on Motorola 800 MHz trunked systems as well as
VHF high and low (local FD and highway patrol). Audio is good, no complaints.
I really like new features like different color alert LED, I use blue for local sheriff,
red for fire dept, green for CHP, magenta for ambulance, etc.
Programming with Sentinel software is great, started off from day one with favorite
lists for my area. Set avoids, delay times, alert led color, etc. and send it to scanner.
I like the ability to edit text tags, some are too long to view in display or I just want to
identify it my way. No problems with software or sd card.
I conducted my own non-professional antenna tests. I compared the original antenna
to the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna, the Radio Shack 20-006 center loaded telescoping antenna along with a couple of my ham radio HT antennas, the Diamond
RH77CA ( dual band with receive up 900 MHz ) and the Diamond SRH320A (tri band with
receive up to 900 MHz ).
The original antenna was ok, not too bad actually but the RS 800 MHz antenna was noticeably better on 800 MHz trunked reception as well as VHF high. The Diamond SRH
320A was pretty close to the RS 800 MHz on 800MHz and noticeably better on VHF low but unfortunately mine has an SMA connector and when tigtened down was about 1/16"
away from the case of the radio. Seemes too risky for breakage if scanner falls over.
The Diamond RH77CA worked well on 800 MHz, maybe not quite as well as RS 800MHz
but worked the best so far on VHF high and low. This is important to me since local Cal Fire is on VHF high and CHP ( highway patrol ) is on VHF low. So all around the RH77CA
performed the best. It's 16.5" tall though so it does make the scanner a bit unwieldly, have to be careful and a little tall if you want to carry the scanner on your belt.
The RS 20-006 was hands down the best all around, this has been the case on other scanners I've had. Really makes my 436hp shine, especially on VHF high and low and right there if not a little better for 800 MHz trunked. But as anyone who's had one of these knows it's 26,5" tall and is not really usable on a belt and I always have to be aware when using it. But for $15 it's a good antenna to have. I've had 2 of them for years and have yet to have an accident. Your mileage may vary, these are my own results in my area with no test equipment other than my ears.
Is there anything I miss or wish for with the BCD436HP? Sure, multi colored display and
maybe a couple of other minor things but all things considered I really like this scanner and am glad I bought it. Homepatrol was nice for me but it's only a table top scanner. I like hand held scanners, use it on a table if I like but grab it and go if I want to. In my opinion Uniden has got a good product here, just hope the analyze feature comes soon and adds to an already good product.
Thanks,
N6RDC

Since I'm still sitting on the fence regarding the purchase of this radio, it helps to read a good review of the product in question. I really appreciated the antenna review as well.

For travel, I have not heard anyone speak about how difficult it is to navigate the various keyboard functions while driving. Now, I do understand this activity is variable depending on the terrain and saturation of radio traffic. I don't believe it would be advantageous to attempt to drive in large city traffic while playing with the scanner using the GPS function. I've never driven with a GPS-equipped Uniden.

So, I don't know whether I would end up wrecking my car. If it is labor-intensive to use GPS, I don't think I will be buying one of these radios. On the other hand, if you can preset various ranges, types of traffic, etc for GPS-enabled scanning, it might be perfect for me.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Since I'm still sitting on the fence regarding the purchase of this radio, it helps to read a good review of the product in question. I really appreciated the antenna review as well.

For travel, I have not heard anyone speak about how difficult it is to navigate the various keyboard functions while driving. Now, I do understand this activity is variable depending on the terrain and saturation of radio traffic. I don't believe it would be advantageous to attempt to drive in large city traffic while playing with the scanner using the GPS function. I've never driven with a GPS-equipped Uniden.

So, I don't know whether I would end up wrecking my car. If it is labor-intensive to use GPS, I don't think I will be buying one of these radios. On the other hand, if you can preset various ranges, types of traffic, etc for GPS-enabled scanning, it might be perfect for me.
It's not necessary to 'play' with the GPS function while driving.

While I have not (yet) taken a trip using my 436HP & my GPS puck, I have done that with my Home Patrol-1, which has the same GPS capabilities. You select the range you want, as well as the service types you're interested in, power up the scanner and GPS, connect the two, and just go. Let it scan the full database, and it will turn on systems and sites as they come into the range you set, and turn them off when you get out of range.Or, if you build a Favorites list of agencies along your intended path, you can still let the GPS select which of those are active based on range. It will activate them as you come into range, and disable when you move out of range, without touching the keypad.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Phase II

It's not necessary to 'play' with the GPS function while driving.

While I have not (yet) taken a trip using my 436HP & my GPS puck, I have done that with my Home Patrol-1, which has the same GPS capabilities. You select the range you want, as well as the service types you're interested in, power up the scanner and GPS, connect the two, and just go. Let it scan the full database, and it will turn on systems and sites as they come into the range you set, and turn them off when you get out of range.Or, if you build a Favorites list of agencies along your intended path, you can still let the GPS select which of those are active based on range. It will activate them as you come into range, and disable when you move out of range, without touching the keypad.

I never realized that you could adjust the radio to your particular programming targets as in favorites. I wish I could get someone to talk to me about Simulcast distortion since my city recently killed my great reception with linear simulcasting. Since then, my other branded radio has been having psychotic decompensation. I am missing large chunks of information. Yes, the other branded radio might lock onto the target quicker, but I seriously doubt they have fine tuned these for thresholds, etc.

So, I am still waiting on someone in my area to chime in on how well it works in my area. I have moved closer to owning a Uniden today. Thanks.

I've heard side-by-side comparisons of the two scanner brands on Phase II transmissions. Truthfully, I cannot tell a huge difference between the two. In fact, the Uniden audio sounded more dynamic.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I never realized that you could adjust the radio to your particular programming targets as in favorites. I wish I could get someone to talk to me about Simulcast distortion since my city recently killed my great reception with linear simulcasting. Since then, my other branded radio has been having psychotic decompensation. I am missing large chunks of information. Yes, the other branded radio might lock onto the target quicker, but I seriously doubt they have fine tuned these for thresholds, etc.

So, I am still waiting on someone in my area to chime in on how well it works in my area. I have moved closer to owning a Uniden today. Thanks.

I've heard side-by-side comparisons of the two scanner brands on Phase II transmissions. Truthfully, I cannot tell a huge difference between the two. In fact, the Uniden audio sounded more dynamic.
While I have, primarily, Uniden scanners, I do have two PSR-500's (one needs repair). The one working 500 sits side by side with 396XT, as well as the 436HP in my bedroom (when I'm in that part of the house), with some of the same systems programmed in all three. For the systems that I listen to here in the DFW area (in Dallas County), there's not enough difference between the three to matter. With the R/S 800MHz antenna on it, the 436HP picks up some more distant systems (such as PAWM) that the others either don't, or only sporadically. It's weak, due to distance, but I do get some traffic on it that I do not on the other two. Of course, right now, I don't have any seriously troublesome simulcast systems in the mix. PAWM is one, as is FWRRS, but both of these are so far away from me that distance is the issue, not simulcast distortion. I can only hear FWRRS (at home) on my 536HP, which is tied to an ST2 on the back of the house.

CommLt

Feed Provider
N6RDC

I can't take credit for the idea because I read it somewhere on this forum, but to fix the 1/16" gap problem with your SMA connector, go to the hardware store and get an appropriate sized o-ring.

Timothy
AF6GL

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Stock Software?

While I have, primarily, Uniden scanners, I do have two PSR-500's (one needs repair). The one working 500 sits side by side with 396XT, as well as the 436HP in my bedroom (when I'm in that part of the house), with some of the same systems programmed in all three. For the systems that I listen to here in the DFW area (in Dallas County), there's not enough difference between the three to matter. With the R/S 800MHz antenna on it, the 436HP picks up some more distant systems (such as PAWM) that the others either don't, or only sporadically. It's weak, due to distance, but I do get some traffic on it that I do not on the other two. Of course, right now, I don't have any seriously troublesome simulcast systems in the mix. PAWM is one, as is FWRRS, but both of these are so far away from me that distance is the issue, not simulcast distortion. I can only hear FWRRS (at home) on my 536HP, which is tied to an ST2 on the back of the house.

Interesting. So, did you buy the extraneous software or the one that comes with the radio?

I've never really experienced much difficulty in hearing PAWM. Perhaps, it is because I adjusted the thresholds on my hi and lo on roam. I've only heard this system while driving on Hwy 75 going to OKC.

Have you ever monitored the Waco Public Safety P25 network consisting of 12 channels with your Phase II scanner? For some reason, the radio enthusiasts here have not talked about whether this system is better monitored with these new phase II radios. The linear simulcast was recently installed here in Waco. At present, the most improvement has been noted by using the RS 800 mhz rubber antenna.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Interesting. So, did you buy the extraneous software or the one that comes with the radio?

I've never really experienced much difficulty in hearing PAWM. Perhaps, it is because I adjusted the thresholds on my hi and lo on roam. I've only heard this system while driving on Hwy 75 going to OKC.

Have you ever monitored the Waco Public Safety P25 network consisting of 12 channels with your Phase II scanner? For some reason, the radio enthusiasts here have not talked about whether this system is better monitored with these new phase II radios. The linear simulcast was recently installed here in Waco. At present, the most improvement has been noted by using the RS 800 mhz rubber antenna.
As far as programming, I am using Sentinel. I did not purchase the Butel software. The only reason I would have considered it would have been, possibly, for logging, as I'm perfectly comfortable programming via Sentinel. I've had the Home Patrol 1 for almost three years, so moving from that version of Sentinel to the one for the x36HP scanners was not even a bump in the road. I imported my existing Favorites lists from the HP-1, then edited to add quick keys and alert colors.

For logging, ProScan now supports the 536HP. I have ProScan for a couple of my older scanners (BC250D & BC780XLT). It also does most of the DMA scanners (including the 396 T & XT, 330T, 996 T & XT, though I don't have a 996XT), but for programming those scanners, I generally use FreeSCAN.

I've seen reports of trouble monitoring PAWM both here, in the Texas Forum, as well as on the DFWScan Yahoo group; these were from users who lived in the service area covered by that system. I'm well outside of it, southwest of downtown Dallas. So my only problem is distance, and the tall buildings downtown being somewhat in my "line of sight". I can actually hear the system better at a friend's house, farther south in Duncanville, than I do back home. The elevation is somewhat higher, and maybe a better signal path.

I haven't been to or thru Waco in quite some time, so I have not tried to monitor the new system at all.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Getting Closer to Decision

As far as programming, I am using Sentinel. I did not purchase the Butel software. The only reason I would have considered it would have been, possibly, for logging, as I'm perfectly comfortable programming via Sentinel. I've had the Home Patrol 1 for almost three years, so moving from that version of Sentinel to the one for the x36HP scanners was not even a bump in the road. I imported my existing Favorites lists from the HP-1, then edited to add quick keys and alert colors.

For logging, ProScan now supports the 536HP. I have ProScan for a couple of my older scanners (BC250D & BC780XLT). It also does most of the DMA scanners (including the 396 T & XT, 330T, 996 T & XT, though I don't have a 996XT), but for programming those scanners, I generally use FreeSCAN.

I've seen reports of trouble monitoring PAWM both here, in the Texas Forum, as well as on the DFWScan Yahoo group; these were from users who lived in the service area covered by that system. I'm well outside of it, southwest of downtown Dallas. So my only problem is distance, and the tall buildings downtown being somewhat in my "line of sight". I can actually hear the system better at a friend's house, farther south in Duncanville, than I do back home. The elevation is somewhat higher, and maybe a better signal path.

I haven't been to or thru Waco in quite some time, so I have not tried to monitor the new system at all.

Yes, I've grown quite impatient with the Whistler move. It is taking way too long to come out with a Phase II with new radio systems, provided they do. Whistler announced that the PSR 800 equivalent will be released in July of this year. By Christmas, perhaps, they will have a new model. Who knows?

So, here is what concerns me about moving to this radio. I want to be able to fine tune and/or enter frequencies that don't always appear in the RR DB. I am not a fan of Butel, but this caught my eye:

True Excel style editor with cut/copy/paste options
Add any frequency or talkgroup that is not in the built-in database
Add/Modify a control channel frequency
Add a trunk system that is not in the built-in database
Add Nascar and other race frequencies
Add Service Searches to your BCDx36HP (many Service Search files are included with ARC536)
Easily share you favorite hpd files with other BCD436/BCD536/HomePatrol users.
Change Alpha tags
Change or add subtones
Add Airband, CB, Marine, Railroad, FRS and GMRS frequencies
Change the service type of frequencies and/or talkgroups
Search a frequency range
Re-order or Rename favorite lists
'Bulk' edit channel parameters
'Bulk' Edit Database files so you can change delay and alert setting in the database.

I don't like the way some RR DB alpha tags are spelled. Either the abbreviations are confusing or they completely fail to put anything in the description and/or alpha tag. I see this a lot with Ham frequencies. So, like Win500, I want to control more in the radio. This is why I love my PSR 500.

When you think of it, the new Unidens are a combination of several radios, HP-1 & PSR 800 in that they have a large DB to select from. Essentially, the new Uniden is like having both of these radios. But, you have the added feature of GPS.

So, what range do you tend to set on the road for your GPS? Also, does the GPS work alongside Garmins? I'm sure that the Homeland Insecurity can track me now.

I see where Scanner Master has finally carried a hard-shell case for the Uniden in question. Yes, the more I think about it, the better this is sounding. It sounds like people are learning to adjust the radio parameters for optimal performance. I see where some don't bother loading the firmware and find themselves messing things up. These settings, as you know, can affect reception. I'm not thrilled about learning yet another programming system, but I suppose it helps keep my two neurons colliding inside my skull. They say that Crossword Puzzles help thwart the development of Alzheimer's. I suppose learning new methods helps create new neural pathways inside the brain, LOL.

I do love the display on the HH.

I'm going to continue to read about this radio. If you think of anything else about yours, let me know. Thanks for your response. Oh, one more question. What range do you use on the GPS? Some, I hear, set it on "0."

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can also add any channel you want, even if it isn't in the database we get from RadioReference, using either the included Sentinel software or from the scanner's keypad.

I typically keep the range setting at 0 when using GPS. In an urban environment, I really want traffic kept down to just what is relevant to where I am. GPS is a receive-only technology. You cannot be tracked by your Garmin (or the GPS dongle available for the scanner). No reason the two cannot work side by side.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
436 Volume

You can also add any channel you want, even if it isn't in the database we get from RadioReference, using either the included Sentinel software or from the scanner's keypad.

I typically keep the range setting at 0 when using GPS. In an urban environment, I really want traffic kept down to just what is relevant to where I am. GPS is a receive-only technology. You cannot be tracked by your Garmin (or the GPS dongle available for the scanner). No reason the two cannot work side by side.

I have had good luck with Uniden scanners over the years. Bearcat only made one radio that caused me heartache, the foot-warming BC250. It overheated.

What about highway noise? Can you hear this radio using the scanner speaker in noisy environments? Can you boost the audio like you can on a PSR 500?

Oh, there is one more thing. Does this radio have "alarm" features like GRE?

Last edited:

bama9999

It does have alarm features, including audible alarms and a multi-colored LED. As Paul said, doing the programming via Sentinel you can customize, add, subtract, change alpha-tags, etc... all you want. Yes, the audio can be boosted, or cut, on a per channel basis. Not sure how highway noise would affect it, because I have the mobile/base version of the radio, the 536.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Awesome

It does have alarm features, including audible alarms and a multi-colored LED. As Paul said, doing the programming via Sentinel you can customize, add, subtract, change alpha-tags, etc... all you want. Yes, the audio can be boosted, or cut, on a per channel basis. Not sure how highway noise would affect it, because I have the mobile/base version of the radio, the 536.

Nice. This starting to erode my reliance on GRE-designed scanners. I thought GRE cornered the market relative to alarms, LED's etc. Thanks for all the comebacks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have had good luck with Uniden scanners over the years. Bearcat only made one radio that caused me heartache, the foot-warming BC250. It overheated.

What about highway noise? Can you hear this radio using the scanner speaker in noisy environments? Can you boost the audio like you can on a PSR 500?
I haven't had an issue with 'highway noise' with the 436, even driving in heavy rush hour traffic here in Dallas. Of course, if you're in an old pickup, tooling down the highway using 2-60 air conditioning (two windows down/60 miles an hour), then there might be a problem.

Oh, there is one more thing. Does this radio have "alarm" features like GRE?
The GRE OOS scanners have one alert that you really can't duplicate on the Uniden DMA units:
If you're monitoring a trunked system, and trying to find new, unreported (as yet) talkgroups, either of the two versions of scanners (GRE's OOS or Unden's DMA) allow for that.

In the OOS (GRE) scanners, you add a wildcard to the system. The difference is that you can tie an alert (LED color or flash, or both) as well as an audible alarm to that wildcard, to get your attention if a new one is discovered.

In the Uniden scanners, you set the system for ID Search, which will pick up any talkgroup not programmed that is not locked out. While the ID Search will find new talkgroups, there is no way to tie a specific alert to that event. (If someone can prove me wrong, I'd like to see how you did it.)

I'm going to continue to read about this radio. If you think of anything else about yours, let me know. Thanks for your response. Oh, one more question. What range do you use on the GPS? Some, I hear, set it on "0."
For driving through rural near-West Texas (between Dallas & Abilene), I use a range of 30 miles. That's If I am monitoring the full database instead of just a Favorites list customized for the trip (I have several, depending on where I'm headed). That range, tied with a mag-mount antenna on my SUV, gives me not only the county I'm in, but the neighboring ones, and usually, the one past that ("second county out"). Since most all of them are Vhf-high, coverage is pretty good.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
2-60

I haven't had an issue with 'highway noise' with the 436, even driving in heavy rush hour traffic here in Dallas. Of course, if you're in an old pickup, tooling down the highway using 2-60 air conditioning (two windows down/60 miles an hour), then there might be a problem.

The GRE OOS scanners have one alert that you really can't duplicate on the Uniden DMA units:
If you're monitoring a trunked system, and trying to find new, unreported (as yet) talkgroups, either of the two versions of scanners (GRE's OOS or Unden's DMA) allow for that.

In the OOS (GRE) scanners, you add a wildcard to the system. The difference is that you can tie an alert (LED color or flash, or both) as well as an audible alarm to that wildcard, to get your attention if a new one is discovered.

In the Uniden scanners, you set the system for ID Search, which will pick up any talkgroup not programmed that is not locked out. While the ID Search will find new talkgroups, there is no way to tie a specific alert to that event. (If someone can prove me wrong, I'd like to see how you did it.)

For driving through rural near-West Texas (between Dallas & Abilene), I use a range of 30 miles. That's If I am monitoring the full database instead of just a Favorites list customized for the trip (I have several, depending on where I'm headed). That range, tied with a mag-mount antenna on my SUV, gives me not only the county I'm in, but the neighboring ones, and usually, the one past that ("second county out"). Since most all of them are Vhf-high, coverage is pretty good.

Thanks. At present, I am laughing about what you said, "6-20." My father used to tell me the same thing. He loved it when people would ask him about the numbers.

That is good to know about the 30 miles. I do travel to west Texas on occasion; however, I hardly ever travel between Dallas and Abilene. Generally speaking, I traveling up: highway 6; highway 36 or highway 84 to Sterling City, then to Big Spring.

I cannot wait to hear how well this radio performs on the Waco system. Like I previously stated, after the linear simulcast was added to the Waco Public Safety P25, it has been hit and miss. There are times it is so garbled that I cannot discern the presence of a human voice.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. At present, I am laughing about what you said, "6-20." My father used to tell me the same thing. He loved it when people would ask him about the numbers.

That is good to know about the 30 miles. I do travel to west Texas on occasion; however, I hardly ever travel between Dallas and Abilene. Generally speaking, I traveling up: highway 6; highway 36 or highway 84 to Sterling City, then to Big Spring.

I cannot wait to hear how well this radio performs on the Waco system. Like I previously stated, after the linear simulcast was added to the Waco Public Safety P25, it has been hit and miss. There are times it is so garbled that I cannot discern the presence of a human voice.
I knew, from your past posts, that you've gone to Big Spring on a semi-regular basis, and generally took a more southerly route (i.e. Hwy 6, etc, versus I-20), but that's still "Vhf territory". I use a mag mount, and usually can hear the county S.O.'s out to 60 or 70 miles.

Range on the scanner, presuming you're using the full database & location control via GPS, is controlled by two factors. First, of course, is the range you set. The second is the 'range' of the system in the database. If you are set at 30 miles, and a given system is set for 25 miles, that system would be loaded at any period when the two 'circles of coverage' intersect. So it would load at around the 55 mile distance (to the centerpoint shown in the database), and would not drop out till you went back over that. Basically, it loads whenever your 30-mile (or whatever range you set) 'circle' intersects the coverage 'circle' as shown in the database.

As UPMan has said, he uses a shorter range (zero), which would still give you systems within their range (15-20 miles, whatever), and in a heavy metro area, like DFW, if you were just driving through, that would still keep you busy listening. But out in the area we're speaking of, towards Abilene, Big Spring, and beyond, where there is not that much traffic, I prefer the longer range setting. You may have a different preference, but that's why the range can be changed: Individual preference.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Another Question

Since the 436HP contains all of the RR DB on the SD card, is it possible to download "all" of the system frequencies within a trunking system? My GRE-designed radio software allows me to either load "CC only" or all of the system frequencies.

Since I've not owned one of these radios yet, I don't know how it differs from the guts of my GRE PSR 500. I know that GRE runs off of the CC/AC associated with a system. I suspect the Uniden runs off of CC/AC too, but in a different manner. Example: from what I understand thus far, you don't have the 32 channel limitation on Unidens.

Can anyone chime in on this please?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
All system frequencies are always included. Memory space is not an issue.

32 frequency limit is actually the limit of frequencies on a single site of a P16 system (on the system side). No point in allowing for more, but no harm to allow for more.

All scanners only use the control channel to scan Motorola and P25 systems, even if other frequencies are entered. For example, if you enter the valid control channel frequency(ies) and 10 random frequencies not used by the system, the scanner will still scan the system just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.