BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Another BCD436HP Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Having all the site's frequencies programed isn't always the best idea. If you're the type to want them there anyway, at least lockout the one's not marked as a control channel.

If you're having trouble locking onto a control channel(may or may not be an issue for some), the radio will cycle all through those frequencies looking for the CC. This takes time, and you get missed calls as a result. If it can't lock onto the CC, and the site hold time expires, it's on to the next system. Very frustrating...

I typically only program the CC channels, and temp lockout the frequencies not in use. This is an issue when the CC cycles though. A simple power cycle restores the other control channels. It's just one of those things...

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
UPMan - Since the HP scanners can only receive one freq. at a time does the scanner first search for the control channel in the list and then when there is a communication made switches to that frequency and then when that communication ends it searches for the control channel again. Is that the basic flow chart for one system?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Once it finds the control channel, it just returns to it after the voice comm. It doesn't have to search again (unless the control channel signal isn't there). That is how all trunking scanners work.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
You Tube

I knew, from your past posts, that you've gone to Big Spring on a semi-regular basis, and generally took a more southerly route (i.e. Hwy 6, etc, versus I-20), but that's still "Vhf territory". I use a mag mount, and usually can hear the county S.O.'s out to 60 or 70 miles.

Range on the scanner, presuming you're using the full database & location control via GPS, is controlled by two factors. First, of course, is the range you set. The second is the 'range' of the system in the database. If you are set at 30 miles, and a given system is set for 25 miles, that system would be loaded at any period when the two 'circles of coverage' intersect. So it would load at around the 55 mile distance (to the centerpoint shown in the database), and would not drop out till you went back over that. Basically, it loads whenever your 30-mile (or whatever range you set) 'circle' intersects the coverage 'circle' as shown in the database.

As UPMan has said, he uses a shorter range (zero), which would still give you systems within their range (15-20 miles, whatever), and in a heavy metro area, like DFW, if you were just driving through, that would still keep you busy listening. But out in the area we're speaking of, towards Abilene, Big Spring, and beyond, where there is not that much traffic, I prefer the longer range setting. You may have a different preference, but that's why the range can be changed: Individual preference.

Yes, I've written to you for a fairly long time. Consequently, I've learned a great deal from you.

I believe it was Upman who made this fantastic You Tube about the GPS function. Overlapping circles were shown. I guess you are talking about the system distance shown when you click on a call sign.

I liked what I was hearing as well. I suppose, with additional firmware updates, the voice processing might also be adjusted over the years. I was very surprised to hear how good the audio sounded, particularly after hearing all of the complaints. I think some people are much too demanding.

With this linear simulcast distortion here in town, I would entertain any Phase II radio that helped this problem.

Now, gotta save up the bucks.

Do you have any recommendations regarding where to buy this jewel. I did not appreciate Scanner Master's opportunistic price elevation on the PSR 800. So, I don't know where I will buy this puppy. I also see that Amazon sells them without shipping cost. Hopefully, they will be recognized as an authorized dealer.

Thanks for all your help.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yet Another Question

I knew, from your past posts, that you've gone to Big Spring on a semi-regular basis, and generally took a more southerly route (i.e. Hwy 6, etc, versus I-20), but that's still "Vhf territory". I use a mag mount, and usually can hear the county S.O.'s out to 60 or 70 miles.

Range on the scanner, presuming you're using the full database & location control via GPS, is controlled by two factors. First, of course, is the range you set. The second is the 'range' of the system in the database. If you are set at 30 miles, and a given system is set for 25 miles, that system would be loaded at any period when the two 'circles of coverage' intersect. So it would load at around the 55 mile distance (to the centerpoint shown in the database), and would not drop out till you went back over that. Basically, it loads whenever your 30-mile (or whatever range you set) 'circle' intersects the coverage 'circle' as shown in the database.

As UPMan has said, he uses a shorter range (zero), which would still give you systems within their range (15-20 miles, whatever), and in a heavy metro area, like DFW, if you were just driving through, that would still keep you busy listening. But out in the area we're speaking of, towards Abilene, Big Spring, and beyond, where there is not that much traffic, I prefer the longer range setting. You may have a different preference, but that's why the range can be changed: Individual preference.

What is the advantage of making a Favorites list over allowing GPS to find things? I would imagine that specificity would be the main reason; however, wouldn't you receive the same things either way?

Here is my question. Can you set up the GPS by prescribing what you want to hear? Now, I am not talking about just putting in LE. I am wanting more specific GPS control. Can you tell the radio/GPS to find tactical, talk, etc. prior to traveling?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What is the advantage of making a Favorites list over allowing GPS to find things? I would imagine that specificity would be the main reason; however, wouldn't you receive the same things either way?

Here is my question. Can you set up the GPS by prescribing what you want to hear? Now, I am not talking about just putting in LE. I am wanting more specific GPS control. Can you tell the radio/GPS to find tactical, talk, etc. prior to traveling?
Those are all service types that you can enable, or leave disabled (off). That's in the scanner, though, not in the GPS. The GPS will only turn systems & 'departments' on or off as they come into and pass out of range. That's the case either with using the full database. or if you instead built a favorites list for that segment of your journey. So, if you wanted "Law Tac" or "Law Talk" as well as "Law Dis patch", you'd turn those on, regardless of whether you were using the full database, or just your own Favorites list. If you have a specific service type turned off (avoided), then no matter whether you are scanning Favorites only, or using GPS and the full database. The Favorites lists might make more sense to you if you looked at Sentinel. You can download Sentinel here, and install it without the scanner.

Most of the time, I make a relatively short regional trip, about 110-120 miles. For that short a trip, I have a Favorites list with what I know I can hear, and also have customized the text tags more to my tastes. Also, I check the weekly FCC license grants. If an agency (city, county, whatever) in my areas of interest, both the DFW Metro area, as well as areas I visit, gets new frequency allocations, or perhaps adds the emission code for digital communications, I may add the frequencies (or mode, i.e. digital) to my Favorites list to see if they are being used. If so, then maybe I can identify them. That's where the recording feature comes in handy. You can go back later and review them for new channels and their usage. Listen to them several times, if needed. However, if I were making a longer trip, outside the areas I'm familiar with, then I have used the GPS (on my HP-1) to let the scanner just handle it. I haven't taken a trip with the 436 yet, but GPS operation is essentially the same on the HP-1 and 436HP.

In regards to your previous question, 'where to buy', most dealers are in the mid to upper $490's. I see HRO at $499.95, but with free shipping. This one is just under $483.00, but shipping would be $15-20, depending on option chosen. This is $495.00, with free shipping, but dealer is in Texas, so you'd pay nearly $40 in sales tax. I also see several, new, on eBay. Don't discount a used one at a good price, since the scanner has only been out four months or so.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your response. At present, I am reading about the BTL amplifier arrangement and whether or not I'm going to experience problems using my Kenwood stereo using the 3.5 mm input. I have considered buying a DSP speaker for my radios. I don't know how well DSP works, but I thought it might give it a go.

Previously, you mentioned that you were able to hear your radio well in a mobile application. Are you using an amplified speaker or DSP?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your response. At present, I am reading about the BTL amplifier arrangement and whether or not I'm going to experience problems using my Kenwood stereo using the 3.5 mm input. I have considered buying a DSP speaker for my radios. I don't know how well DSP works, but I thought it might give it a go.

Previously, you mentioned that you were able to hear your radio well in a mobile application. Are you using an amplified speaker or DSP?
Not using anything other than the scanner & it's internal speaker. I spent 20 years working in noisy environments (vehicle repair shops). Over half of that was working on buses at DFW Airport, so my hearing is not 100%. By no means, deaf, but also not 'undamaged hearing'. I've had no problems hearing the 436 (or any of the other scanners) in my vehicle. I usually have the scanner in one of the cupholders in the console of my SUV. Depending on how noisy is your vehicle, and where you plan to park a handheld scanner while driving, some people do prefer the external speakers. if nothing else, just for a little better audio tome. I've never found it an issue, but maybe I'm not as demanding as other users.I've seen comments in the past of some members using one of the wireless transmitters, to take the scanner audio, rebroadcast it on an unused FM frequency, then listen through the car/truck radio. If that works better for them, so be it; I just haven't found those measures necessary.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Firmware?

Have there been any firmware updates (for the 436) except for the first, provided some time ago,
by Uniden....?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Almost 99% Sure

These days, folks tend to get branded very quickly, particularly in the hobby of scanning. Like I said, I have been watching tons of You Tube video about the Unidens.

Some individual made a great sequenced portrayal of three scanners on the same P25 simulcast system. The 536HP, the PSR 800, and the older Uniden 996XT.

The new Uniden blew the competition out of the water. The new Uniden also showed how Uniden listened to their customers and made a great radio. No, it is not going to please everyone, but it is a huge improvement over the last one.

I thought the PSR 800 was supposed to be better on simulcast distortion. Wrong! Yes, it might be better than the PSR 500/600, but I cannot tolerate this ridiculous every-other-word distortion any longer. I must buy a Uniden!

I cannot find any deal breaker with these radios. I am a died-in-the-wool GRE man. But, I'm certainly changing my tune.

Thanks to all on here who have helped me along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.