Another Boulder County Fall, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
BOULDER COUNTY – An injured climber was airlifted to a Denver-area hospital after he fell about 80 feet on Wednesday afternoon.

Derek Anderson, 23 of Michigan, was visiting a friend in Colorado and they were climbing near the Eldora Ski Resort when Anderson, according to the Boulder County Sheriff's Office.

His friend, a 24-year-old man from Westminster, climbed down and hiked a mile to a call box and called 911.

Authorities say they got the call around 2 p.m. and Rocky Mountain Search and Rescue responded to the scene and began carrying Anderson out.

He was brought out just after 7 p.m. and airlifted to St. Anthony Central Hospital.

When he fell, he was about halfway up the mountain.

Authorities believe Anderson has broken bones and some cuts and was able to talk with emergency personnel during the rescue.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
23 year old Michigan man sustains seriouos injuries during climbing fall

On May 7, 2008, a 23 year old Michigan man, Derek Anderson, here visiting a 25 year old Westminster man, Joseph Harbison were hiking and free climbing in the mountainous terrain west of Eldora, along Fourth of July Road (County Road 111).

At approximately 2 pm, Anderson fell, tumbling down a steep rock face, approximately 80 to 100 feet. From the fall, he sustained serious injuries including two broken legs, a broken arm, and facial lacerations.

Harbison left Anderson on the side of the mountain and hiked approximately 40 minutes to summons help. The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office received his call from an emergency call box at 2:40 pm.

Sheriff’s Deputies, Nederland Fire Department, Rocky Mountain Rescue, Pridemark Paramedic Services and the Nederland Police Department all responded to assist with a nearly four hour rescue. Anderson was taken to the Nederland High School, where he was transported by helicopter to St. Anthony’s Central Hospital in stable condition.

This press release and others detailing recent newsworthy events in which the Sheriff’s Office has been involved may be found on the Sheriff’s Office web site a www.bouldersheriff.org.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
DENVER (AP) - A 23-year-old Michigan man credits God for allowing him to survive an 100-foot fall while hiking with a friend near Eldora Ski Area Wednesday afternoon.

Derek Anderson, of Sparta, Mich., said he waited 45 minutes for his hiking partner to reach a phone - and about four more hours for rescuers to reach him.

"God gave me peace. I knew my body was somewhat broken, and I was still on a slant and didn't know if I'd slide further," Anderson told The Grand Rapids Press on Friday from his hospital bed at St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver.

Anderson, who is earning a master's degree in pastoral studies, said: "I should be dead. If I had slid another 3 feet, I'd have fallen to boulders below me. So I honor God who continues to give me breath so I can praise him."

Anderson was en route to Utah for a mission trip building churches and had stopped to visit Joe Harbison, his roommate at Bob Jones University, a Christian college and seminary in Greenville, S.C.

The newspaper said the pair faced rainy trail conditions as they climbed the south face of a hill without helmets or climbing gear. They had "passed the hard stuff and were almost to the top," when Anderson grabbed for a rock.

"No sooner had I pulled on it when it pulled out, and I started falling," Anderson said.

His father, Roger Anderson, said both his son's shoulders and elbows were separated and the leg bones just above the heel were shattered. Surgery on his feet was planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.