Another Car antena thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scupking

I just bought a PRO 164 last week and I'm looking into a good all around mag mount car scanner antenna. I'm big into listening to aircraft and military channels though I would like an all around antenna for other freqs as well. I have a jeep Cherokee with a roof rack so If there are other options that are not magnetic and will clamp on the roof rack let me know?

This is what I'm looking at right now:

Workman KS3 Tri-Band magmount
Larsen 150/450/800 tri-band

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm..a magmount on a roof rack? Is there enough surface area so the magnet can really clamp down and not fly off at high speeds?

Both are listed as 'tribanders' - while they would hear things outside their designed ranges, it wouldn't be optimum. You need something that's broadbanded - however, you should know that there's really no such thing as an antenna that responds equally well across all bands. It just isn't feasible. Some bands might be better than others. To an extent, it's something of a compromise - particularly so if you are interested in the 30-50Mhz area, along with aircraft and mil stuff.

We have a bunch of reviews linked in the 'Homebrew, Tech and Reviews' section of...

Scanner Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

I would start there. Comtelco also has quite a line of antennas - and if memory serves, at least one semi active milcomer on the Sticky Thread for Milcom in the Maryland forum uses antennas from them. Worth a look

73 Mike

scupking

Here is something that may interest you. I never used or seen this antenna. I am a MilAir monitor and I think I will look into this myself down the road.

WSM-225 Airband Magnetic Whip Mobile Antenna

Wow that seems like it would be good. I assume that even this would be better then the rubber duck for non aircraft/military bands? Also looking at the SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC http://www.scannermaster.com/Wideband_Antenna_with_Mag_Mount_and_BNC_p/01-541326.htm

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The original question hasn't been answered - is this bike rack large enough that a mag mount will clamp onto it and hold, even at high speeds? If not, it will fly off the rack and potentially hit someone. This is a safety issue, not a performance one. Some of these racks look like they're made of aluminum stock, and a magmount won't hold to it.

73 Mike

scupking

The original question hasn't been answered - is this bike rack large enough that a mag mount will clamp onto it and hold, even at high speeds? If not, it will fly off the rack and potentially hit someone. This is a safety issue, not a performance one. Some of these racks look like they're made of aluminum stock, and a magmount won't hold to it.

73 Mike

No I won't be putting the magmount on the rack. The rack would be used for a clamp style. The magmount would be put on the roof as it should be.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK fine. Then check out the link I gave earlier. There are a bunch of reviews - mostly user level - linked there. 73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Evidently the company either changed its name or was bought out. The updated link is in the wiki, and I see Universal is carrying their products. 73 Mike

Last edited:

dnoyeb

I have basically the same question. I have a roof rack, and they are specifically for mounting things to. So my first objective is to get some kind of rack mount antenna. But I don't see any...

Status
Not open for further replies.