Another genius antenna design

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I've run across this genius before and buyer beware on this piece of junk. He obviously doesn't know how a Yagi works but he still welds up some random elements on a metal rod as the boom, then screws the rod into a CB mirror mount where the coax lights up the entire boom with all elements as the antenna. He claims its directional and receives VHF aircraft and many other UHF frequencies. Really? It probably resonates somewhere near the CB band and horizontally at that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he left out the insulator on the CB mirror mount, grounding everything out. I hope nobody on RR bought one of these.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I've run across this genius before and buyer beware on this piece of junk. He obviously doesn't know how a Yagi works but he still welds up some random elements on a metal rod as the boom, then screws the rod into a CB mirror mount where the coax lights up the entire boom with all elements as the antenna. He claims its directional and receives VHF aircraft and many other UHF frequencies. Really? It probably resonates somewhere near the CB band and horizontally at that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he left out the insulator on the CB mirror mount, grounding everything out. I hope nobody on RR bought one of these.

Reminds me of this "990 miles high power" HD TV/FM antenna which is actually an antenna sold by Walmart for <$20.
I guess it is better than the "980 mile HD TV antenna" also sold by Walmart that will even do "1080P".
Talk about false advertising.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Reminds me of this "990 miles high power" HD TV/FM antenna which is actually an antenna sold by Walmart for <$20.
I guess it is better than the "980 mile HD TV antenna" also sold by Walmart that will even do "1080P".
Talk about false advertising.
That's funny. Can you imagine picking up OTA TV for over half the country in any CONUS location? LOL

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
The same vendor also markets the antenna as a "Digital TV Antenna"! juan319284 on eBay

"
Digital TV Antenna Outdoor VHF and UHF 69 Channels Directional. Condition is New.
Vhf Uhf TV digital antenna
Up for purchase is a outdoor digital TV antenna. This antenna is made out of 304 stainless steel and is welded solid with no moving parts or plastic. The mount of this antenna is made from aluminum. This antenna is made to accept 75 ohm cable that is standard for broadcast TV connections. The range of this antenna is 100 miles. I have tested this design for about 20 years and have proven it to work in worst of conditions. This antenna is built to last a life time. Because of the nature of this item. Returns are always accepted within 15days of purchase. Geographic location should always be taken in consideration when installing this antenna outdoors. A quality install of your antenna is as important as the antenna itself. You should always use good cable a well prepared ground and quality broadcast splitters. Antenna should be installed as high as safety permits. This antenna has a small form factor and can be installed within tight spaces. This antenna is directional and should be installed so that it can easily be rotated 360 degrees.
If you have any issues or questions, we are always eager to work things out.

prcguy

That's nice, he is also selling his all welded together, not an antenna as a TV antenna. I see his trunk lip mount is a 3/8" CB stud mount with about 2" of coax center conductor exposed and he is advertising it for VHF and UHF. I need to check my Paypal account to see if I can afford some of this stuff.

The same vendor also markets the antenna as a "Digital TV Antenna"! juan319284 on eBay

"
Digital TV Antenna Outdoor VHF and UHF 69 Channels Directional. Condition is New.
Vhf Uhf TV digital antenna
Up for purchase is a outdoor digital TV antenna. This antenna is made out of 304 stainless steel and is welded solid with no moving parts or plastic. The mount of this antenna is made from aluminum. This antenna is made to accept 75 ohm cable that is standard for broadcast TV connections. The range of this antenna is 100 miles. I have tested this design for about 20 years and have proven it to work in worst of conditions. This antenna is built to last a life time. Because of the nature of this item. Returns are always accepted within 15days of purchase. Geographic location should always be taken in consideration when installing this antenna outdoors. A quality install of your antenna is as important as the antenna itself. You should always use good cable a well prepared ground and quality broadcast splitters. Antenna should be installed as high as safety permits. This antenna has a small form factor and can be installed within tight spaces. This antenna is directional and should be installed so that it can easily be rotated 360 degrees.
If you have any issues or questions, we are always eager to work things out.

belvdr

This is a high quality, sophisticated design with "no moving parts or plastic".
I, for one, hate those lesser antennas with moving plastic parts.
I use plastic grocery bags for my antenna. They move in various directions so everyone can hear me. Pay no attention to those who say plastic is an insulator.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pay no attention to those who say plastic is an insulator.

If your plastic is acting like an insulator, you obviously are not running enough power.
See, you gotta get yourself one of them there 10 "pill" lin-e-ar amplifiers so you can get the most swing and yell "Auuuuuudioooo" over and over again across all 40 channels at the same time….

wgbecks

If your plastic is acting like an insulator, you obviously are not running enough power.
See, you gotta get yourself one of them there 10 "pill" lin-e-ar amplifiers so you can get the most swing and yell "Auuuuuudioooo" over and over again across all 40 channels at the same time….
Heck, don't you recognize Spread Spectrum when you hear it all across the spectrum? Just sayin..

bharvey2

I think you may have misunderstood. The vertical elements are meant to encourage "social distancing" of the birds that land on his antenna.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
And if nothing else, change the polarity from vertical to horizontal, and use the (ahem) "elements" to hang and air dry your collection of face masks. NOTE: analog-rated or digital-rated stabilization devices (see below) not included and must be ordered at extra cost.

bharvey2

And if nothing else, change the polarity from vertical to horizontal, and use the (ahem) "elements" to hang and air dry your collection of face masks. NOTE: analog-rated or digital-rated stabilization devices (see below) not included and must be ordered at extra cost.

View attachment 83679

You may have come up with the best application of that "antenna" yet.

wtp

well, ANY piece of metal receives radio waves, just some are better than others.
i would only use it if it were free...
fly slalom.

belvdr

View attachment 83679
Wood: the other plastic conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.