HP-2: Another HP-2 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

I recently had to make a multi-state trip due to a family emergency. And there will be more of these over the next several months...just not quite so frantic. Due to Mr. Murphy and his Law having been attached to me at the hip during the three days I had to prepare, I wasn't able to get much of anything programmed into my car scanner (Pro-668 with WS-1080 FW) beyond what I already had. And while at my destination for 5 days, I was generally too emotionally exhausted by evening to manage any coherent effort at programming. And I really missed my scanner on the trip down and back, once I was out of range of what I do have programmed. I could remedy this prior to the next trip, of course...but thinking about the future and possible trips to other parts of the US, I may want to upgrade to an HP-2 instead of keeping the 668 or getting a TRX-2 (for the detachable head, mainly). I know, there is zip code programming for the RS/Whistler units...but it seems cumbersome to me and I really wouldn't want to be trying to input changes from area to area while negotiating the interstate rat race.

My questions are, just how well does the HP-2 with the accessory GPS puck work, just how difficult is it to set up, and how well do the users who have this setup like it? I've had the opportunity to play with some X36's but I've never had the opportunity to really operate an HP, -1 or -2. And while the X36's I was exposed to were impressive radios, I'm attracted to the HP display and the simplicity that the unit appears to employ. There seem to be some good in-car mounts for the unit as well.

Opinions, please?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's mostly a matter of plug everything in then turn it on and it works. Perhaps an oversimplification but I've never had a problem using it.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I use my HP2 and the GPS every trip I take and it works perfectly. You should not have any problems at all using the Uniden GPS and HP2 or the BCD 436/536.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I have not purchased the GPS for my HP2 yet, due to my lack of long distance trips (plus I love my specific favorites list). But I love this scanner, in a vehicle or on a desk stand. If I ever went out of my zone (fav lists), I would just change location till I purchased the GPS. If I went on a very very long trip, I would go ahead and get the GPS; make a fav list for my destination, and use the GPS location for everything in between.

Lots of options, just depends on how in depth you want to go. And yes, the screen is fantastic. I do not miss messing with buttons and quick keys one bit.

RBMTS

Several years ago I traveled between the east coast and west coast by car several times. At that time I had the HP1 with the Garmin GPS. It worked flawlessly during my travels. Set it and forget it - no need to make any manual adjustments. It was an invaluable companion in the car.

marksmith

I use a GPS puck and an HP2 in both of my vehicles, and they work great on trips.

You can either create a favorites list that includes everything you will be listening to on the trip and activate location control so it only scans the stuff in range, or you can just scan the full database, and adjust what to listen to by selecting the service types (police, ems, etc). Helps eliminate tons of misc stuff you are not interested in.

You basically just plug everything together and the radio detects the GPS. As you drive along, it loads different stuff from either the database or your favorites list (or both) without you touching the radio.

The HP2 also has without any question the most readable display for mobile use out there.

I never take any trips without it. Locally I just rely on very specifically programmed favorites lists, but you can't beat the hp2/gps combo on a trip.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

DJ11DLN

Thanks for the replies, very informative. I think I am going to put an HP-2 on my got-to-get list before my next trip. From here to Longview, TX is about 11.5 hours and it seemed as if I was stabbing the search button on the BB radio constantly just to find something non-annoying to listen to. Scanner traffic is a much better companion.

Several years ago I traveled between the east coast and west coast by car several times. At that time I had the HP1 with the Garmin GPS. It worked flawlessly during my travels. Set it and forget it - no need to make any manual adjustments. It was an invaluable companion in the car.

How does one interface an HP with a Garmin GPS? I have one of those...

stingray327

It works on my HP-2 but it did not pick up SFPD for some reason. That's a major police Dept. I am sure I did select the proper service types.

I will have to try it on my 436 next.

I do pick up lots of undesired agencies and end up having to "Avoid" them using avoid button.

marksmith

Thanks for the replies, very informative. I think I am going to put an HP-2 on my got-to-get list before my next trip. From here to Longview, TX is about 11.5 hours and it seemed as if I was stabbing the search button on the BB radio constantly just to find something non-annoying to listen to. Scanner traffic is a much better companion.

How does one interface an HP with a Garmin GPS? I have one of those...
I have one hp2 on a garmin gps and the other on a Uniden puck. There is really no difference as both go to a db9 and need an adapter. .. the same adapter actually.

If you are asking about a standard car garmin, it needs to have serial output and most don't.

Mark

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I bought the Uniden GPS to use with my HP-2. I've used it on two trips from NYC to Washington DC. It worked very well (better than I expected)

DJ11DLN

I have one hp2 on a garmin gps and the other on a Uniden puck. There is really no difference as both go to a db9 and need an adapter. .. the same adapter actually.

If you are asking about a standard car garmin, it needs to have serial output and most don't.

Mark
OK, got it...mine is the no-serial-port kind.:( Great GPS though. But with the BB radio in my car starting to go wonky (needs a gentle tap once in awhile to get it working again), I've been thinking about an integrated unit...when I go to price them, I'll see if any of those have a serial port. Sure be nice to run it all off of one puck, and get "Greta Garmin" off of my windshield.

marksmith

Most of the modern garmin car units don't have a serial out port.

The garmin and Uniden pucks run about the same. Amazon has a set with the Uniden puck and the needed adapter for the hp2 or hp1. Under $100 if I remember right.

Mark

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would get the Uniden puck because it comes with all the cables needed to connect to any Uniden scanner that supports GPS.

DJ11DLN

Had an ephphany last night...

Out doing the weekly grocery shopping etc and my Pro-668 with the WS-1080 FW was doing its usual good job, even with no rooftop antenna. I haven't gotten around to dropping the headliner in this car, had it since last November so no excuse except that I'm hearing the job of getting to the underside of the roof is kinda daunting. And thinking about where the HP-2 would go, but not seeing a lot of options since I don't really want to windshield-mount it. Prior to getting this whole idea I'd planned on a WS-1098 or a TRX-2 just for the remote head feature, because there is just no place practical to put a B/M scanner where I could access the controls and see the screen, though I could probably sneak the control head in somewhere. And it occurred to me, I've already got that solved...with the oversized cell phone/tablet mount that holds the 668, which is attached to the dash above the BB radio. If it holds one HH scanner, ergo sum it should hold another.

So, as much as I'm attracted to the HP-2 design and features, maybe it's time to drop back and punt...and look into either a 436hp or a 325p2, since both are also GPS-capable. Also both have the DMR update available that Uniden so far (AFAIK) hasn't offered for the HP-2.

Thoughts?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would suggest the 436HP. It gives you the most flexible programming and a slightly better receiver.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Out doing the weekly grocery shopping etc and my Pro-668 with the WS-1080 FW was doing its usual good job, even with no rooftop antenna. I haven't gotten around to dropping the headliner in this car, had it since last November so no excuse except that I'm hearing the job of getting to the underside of the roof is kinda daunting. And thinking about where the HP-2 would go, but not seeing a lot of options since I don't really want to windshield-mount it. Prior to getting this whole idea I'd planned on a WS-1098 or a TRX-2 just for the remote head feature, because there is just no place practical to put a B/M scanner where I could access the controls and see the screen, though I could probably sneak the control head in somewhere. And it occurred to me, I've already got that solved...with the oversized cell phone/tablet mount that holds the 668, which is attached to the dash above the BB radio. If it holds one HH scanner, ergo sum it should hold another.

So, as much as I'm attracted to the HP-2 design and features, maybe it's time to drop back and punt...and look into either a 436hp or a 325p2, since both are also GPS-capable. Also both have the DMR update available that Uniden so far (AFAIK) hasn't offered for the HP-2.

Thoughts?

Just speaking of mounting options for the HP2; it's design is both a plus and a minus for me. Perfect desk/tabletop & small enough to carry it around portable (if you had to). But not good for the mobile mounting department. I refuse to use suction cups for anything so I went the cup-holder route. It's perfect. https://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/350503-hp2-mobile-home.html I've since moved the antenna to be back but otherwise it works.

Next is the GPS puck from Uniden and I guess the 436HP to get DMR -_-

marksmith

If you have somewhere in your vehicle where you can hard mount a ram, then I recommend the Uniden cradle and a ram mount.

If you have to go with a cup holder or similar mount, then I think the Bracketron cup mount is a more secure setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.