HP-2: Another HP-2 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone else find it ironic he says my suggestion of a RAM mount is a "band-aid" and then proceeds to recommend a RAM mount???

The universal with the fingers is a band aid - I used one when it was the only thing available, before the cradle was available. It's a universal phone type mount that does a bad job of holding a radio.

Want it - send it to you for shipping.

FWIW - I have Ram mounts on everything, from marine units 15-20 years old to GPS, radios, tablets - still trying to mount one on my treadmill :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I Iove the finger mount and have never had a scanner fall out, even when off-road. They are very secure when set up correctly. PM me if you're serious about unloading yours.

stingray327

Just speaking of mounting options for the HP2; it's design is both a plus and a minus for me. Perfect desk/tabletop & small enough to carry it around portable (if you had to). But not good for the mobile mounting department. I refuse to use suction cups for anything so I went the cup-holder route. It's perfect. https://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/350503-hp2-mobile-home.html I've since moved the antenna to be back but otherwise it works.

Next is the GPS puck from Uniden and I guess the 436HP to get DMR -_-

Where can you purchase this cup holder mount for HP-2?

DJ11DLN

I'm trying to avoid using a suction cup on the windshield. I don't really even like having the GPS mounted up there, I'd hate to add something else.

Cup holder mounts might work but the cup holders in my Trailblazer are a pair at the front of the console that, if used, would obscure the HVAC controls, and a third one farther back, behind the gear selector, which would probably work. But it's in a convenient place...to be used as a cup holder. I'd really hate to commit that one to a radio and then fool with getting coffee etc in and out of the two forward (to me pretty useless) holders.

Aftermarket cup holders mounted somewhere and utilizing one of those mounts is an option, of course.

As much as I'd love to do this with an HP-2, I'm thinking (reluctantly but realistically) that I'll just get an HH at this point...still debating 325 vs 436. The present mount is a GOXT that is stuck to the dash with included adhesive, using the bendable T-shaped "bracket." It has held on very well and hasn't ever dropped the scanner, even over some doozies of bang-your-head-on-the-roof bumps (they don't call IN "The Pothole State" for nothing) but I'd probably hard-mount it to its present location. The only thing it partially obscures is the pair of center vents...I don't use them in cold weather and I doubt having cold air blow on a scanner in hot weather would do it any harm. I'd have them angled generally away from it and if condensation ever developed, I'd just shut those vents off. I need to get into the dash to replace a peanut bulb or two anyway and at that point I could use screws and a backing plate I'd fab out of something to make it permanent. If I get a chance later I'll snap a pic and post.

Still looking into IGPS options; I have a few leads on units that do output data for fleet management purposes, but more research is needed to determine if they will communicate with the scanner. I'm trying to make this as simple and as neat as possible, to where I can easily unplug things and stash the radio in the glove compartment when I have to park somewhere I don't fully trust. But if IGPS turns out to be a bust, I'll just fall back on the Uniden puck. IGPS to control the scanner is a would-be-nice-to-have feature, not a deal breaker.

stingray327

I'm trying to avoid using a suction cup on the windshield. I don't really even like having the GPS mounted up there, I'd hate to add something else.

Cup holder mounts might work but the cup holders in my Trailblazer are a pair at the front of the console that, if used, would obscure the HVAC controls, and a third one farther back, behind the gear selector, which would probably work. But it's in a convenient place...to be used as a cup holder. I'd really hate to commit that one to a radio and then fool with getting coffee etc in and out of the two forward (to me pretty useless) holders.

Aftermarket cup holders mounted somewhere and utilizing one of those mounts is an option, of course.

As much as I'd love to do this with an HP-2, I'm thinking (reluctantly but realistically) that I'll just get an HH at this point...still debating 325 vs 436. The present mount is a GOXT that is stuck to the dash with included adhesive, using the bendable T-shaped "bracket." It has held on very well and hasn't ever dropped the scanner, even over some doozies of bang-your-head-on-the-roof bumps (they don't call IN "The Pothole State" for nothing) but I'd probably hard-mount it to its present location. The only thing it partially obscures is the pair of center vents...I don't use them in cold weather and I doubt having cold air blow on a scanner in hot weather would do it any harm. I'd have them angled generally away from it and if condensation ever developed, I'd just shut those vents off. I need to get into the dash to replace a peanut bulb or two anyway and at that point I could use screws and a backing plate I'd fab out of something to make it permanent. If I get a chance later I'll snap a pic and post.

Still looking into IGPS options; I have a few leads on units that do output data for fleet management purposes, but more research is needed to determine if they will communicate with the scanner. I'm trying to make this as simple and as neat as possible, to where I can easily unplug things and stash the radio in the glove compartment when I have to park somewhere I don't fully trust. But if IGPS turns out to be a bust, I'll just fall back on the Uniden puck. IGPS to control the scanner is a would-be-nice-to-have feature, not a deal breaker.

I use the RAM mount with suction cup on windshield. It's very strong but I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and its difficult to mount suction cup onto windshield using proper pressure to get it to stick.

phask

Premium Subscriber
d as neartment when I have to park somewhere I don't fully trust. But if IGPS turns out to be a bust, I'll just fall back on the Uniden puck. IGPS to control the scanner is a would-be-nice-to-have feature, not a deal breaker.

There are a tone of ways to utilize Ram mounts other than a suction.

Can't think of the name, but a couple companies make dash type mounts specific to the vehicle. You loosen or remove a piece of trim and it slips between it and the dash (or somewhere). I have 3 on 2 different vehicles, then a Ram ball and can go from there. Maybe someone can add the name of the company.

I use a Ram ball, a couple arms and a ball for my HP. Ball mount for my Auto GPS as well.

I do have a suction cup - used to use in the rear window with a GPS to feed into the HP and for some tracking (now use a puck) . I have used it on the dash just a few times.

Had 5 of Ram mounts on the boat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.