Another "I just got a new SDS100" thread

KC9NEG

I'll be brief. I unboxed it (2021 build but had latest firmware and sub-CPU installed from the factory), updated the DB using Sentinel, and fired it up. I'm out near Clermont and the performance was immediately impressive, though location-based scanning is simply too ambitious for one radio to handle. There's just too much radio traffic for it to be practical. Holding on the MESA system was impressive, but didn't knock my socks off until I took the radio to work (Mass Ave area) today... Holy cow, this thing never shuts up and I can count on one hand how many transmissions haven't been crystal clear over the past three hours or so. If the big E is coming someday, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this thing until then--what a radio this is.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm out near Clermont and the performance was immediately impressive, though location-based scanning is simply too ambitious for one radio to handle.
You are near the Trader's Point tower but also near the Butler tower, so you could be picking up either one from home.

I have found that setting up a Favorites list is the way to go with my SDS100. You could build list that just has the MESA (formerly IDPS, formerly MECA) system. That would eliminate all the other stuff that it tries to scan using location-based scanning. If you are only interested in public safety, you could further trim down that system by eliminating System 2, 3, and 4 and all talkgroups associated with those systems.

But, don't ignore SAFE-T and the users on that system, particularly Indiana State Police.