Another Larimer S/O chase/crash overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocophotog

Premium Subscriber
Started in Loveland, ended in Weld County just east of Milliken. This time, 3 people injured, one ejected, 2 trapped with a "chopper go".

Attachments

• ax1.jpg
    ax1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 316
  • ax2.jpg
    ax2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 337

nocophotog

Premium Subscriber
More pics from the crash scene.

Attachments

• ax8.jpg
    ax8.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 296
  • ax7.jpg
    ax7.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 287
  • ax6.jpg
    ax6.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 289
  • ax5.jpg
    ax5.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 284

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Any thoughts on the distance from the scene to MCR by ground versus taking the time to set up an LZ, land Med Evac, Load, Lift back off, land at MCR, unload etc etc.

Opps almost forgot in many areas of the state it's still Airway, Breathing, Chopper.

Jim<

DTOWN

Reply ti Jimmmmm

Since the crash was East of Milliken I assume they went to NCMC, plus NCMC is quite a bit stronger at handling trauma. Secondly as with every Northern Colorado Ambulance agency, if you have possibly three trauma reds you are overwhelmed; this is due to staffing and such large response areas. Finally you need to spread the patients out to different hospitals. The best way to do this is use the speed of the helicopters. Absolutely call them in.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Since the crash was East of Milliken I assume they went to NCMC, plus NCMC is quite a bit stronger at handling trauma. Secondly as with every Northern Colorado Ambulance agency, if you have possibly three trauma reds you are overwhelmed; this is due to staffing and such large response areas. Finally you need to spread the patients out to different hospitals. The best way to do this is use the speed of the helicopters. Absolutely call them in.

NCMC stronger in trauma? Last I checked MCR and NCMC are both level II's.

In Larry's first picture it shows at least 8 FF's loading the patient on a backboard, seems like a good deal of midnight staffing was available last night at least.

Sorry once again airmedical is way over rated and overused in many parts of the state. Do we really need a ship in Greeley, Frederick, Erie, Aurora, Scottsbluff, Lone Tree, Denver, Frisco, Eagle, Colo Springs x2, Pueblo and the list goes on. How many times are these patients being discharged before the flight crew can even finish there PCR's? And don't get me started on the pretense of we flew them for "mechanism" a concept completely non proven in the trauma research.

Guess it could be worse we could be in the Phoenix area where they have medical helicopter programs on every street corner.

Jim<

Last edited:

nocophotog

Premium Subscriber
Okay, last pic. I promised Milliken Fire Chief that I would burn them a DVD of all the raw video for training purposes only! It's great Public Relations!!!!

Attachments

• ax9.jpg
    ax9.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 242

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Now what's the question?

How many FF's does it take to load the pram?

wow

Jim<

nocophotog

Premium Subscriber
Jim. Exactly what kind of trauma does it take for an air medical chopper to be launched to a scene? Time and time again, I hear the pilot turn around after burning 30+ gallons of fuel before they're cancelled because someone on scene thought the chopper should be launched when it NEVER should have been sent in the first place.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Jim. Exactly what kind of trauma does it take for an air medical chopper to be launched to a scene? Time and time again, I hear the pilot turn around after burning 30+ gallons of fuel before they're cancelled because someone on scene thought the chopper should be launched when it NEVER should have been sent in the first place.

There is no set absolute state mandated criteria by any means Larry, it's very agency dependent. So for areas like Glacier View and New Raymer there are auto launch protocols which means almost every medical call to 911 get a chopper response then some of those same areas already mentions and smaller volunteer agencies like Deer Trail and Rattlesnake get a chopper on SB at least for almost every call to act as there ALS response if needed since most of those areas have limited to no paramedics. Then to make matters even worse many of those areas also use the "chooper" to transport almost all patients out of district enabling them to keep there limited volunteer resources in district.

Interesting to note I have mentioned no medical criteria yet because much of this is not based on such it's based almost solely on how good the choppers outreach :hats, t-shirts, and really nice pens: programs are.

Additionally much of the recent trauma research is completely debunking the thoughts such as golden hour and mechanism only.

Realistically there are certainly some situations like AMI which time to the cath lab is critical and CVA where time is brain may still warrant prompt response of the air medical systems. But less can typically be done in the back of the chopper than in the back of the ambulance critical skills wise and time is often wasted in response, landing, loading, taking off, landing, unloading etc etc.

But there is an energy and sex appeal to having that chopper land on-scene and many continue to seek that boost!

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The Larimer County Sheriff's Office says all three were taken to Medical Center of the Rockies. Their conditions were not known.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
From LCSO PIO:

Further investigation into the background of Robert l. Romero has revealed an extensive criminal history and that he was recently released from the Department of Corrections. Search of the vehicle revealed both Schedule II and Schedule IV drugs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 39 minutes after midnight on January 16, 2010, Larimer County Sheriff's Office deputies and Loveland Police Department attempted to stop a vehicle at Highway 402 approaching I-25 for speeding. Deputies reported the vehicle was going over 100 miles per hour when they initiated that pursuit that traveled into Weld County. At 49 minutes after midnight Weld County Sheriff's Office threw stop sticks at Highway 60 and Two Rivers Road. At that point the vehicle went off the road and the driver was ejected from the vehicle. All three occupants were taken to Medical Center of the Rockies. Their condition at this time is unknown.

The driver of the vehicle was Robert Leroy Romero, 011987, who is on probation for Possession of a Weapon. Leroy Robert Romero, 101960, was the front seat passenger. Gary Vigil, 062079, was in the rear seat at the time of the accident.

No law enforcement personnel were injured during the incident. Criminal charges are pending at this time.

DTOWN

Jimmnn - I am currious as to why your avatar is of two medical helicopters if you are so against them. Never mind it is no big deal. Much of your last post as to why helicopters are used is very biased and only half accurate. I would be currious to know what your involvment with EMS, Fire or Law is. Helicopter agencies do as you stated market to ground agencies for the business; however it is upto ground agencies to call a helicopter when needed; based on their protocols, transport distance and time and nature of injury or illness. There are no kickbacks and agencies only call helicopters when they have the patients best interst in mind. There isn't a single ground ambulance that can beat a helicopter as far as transport time goes even with landing, loading, and lifting off figured in. Secondly the medics and RN's on the helicopters have far and away higher level of skills and procedures then your ground counterparts. Many of specialized skills due to take room, so it is performed in the back of the ambulance by the flight crew as they are the only ones allowed to do many of the procedures. But you would be amazed with how much they can do in the air. Have you ever flown with a Med Evac crew? I have. Finally they are able to bypass your little level 4, 3 and a lot of times 2 hospitals and get the patient to definitive care based on the patient needs, especially pediatrics, burns, cardio, and neuro. As stated before a lot of hospitals due have the same ranking ie Level II or I, however like everything else in life certain hospitals excel a certain types of Patients. Swedish for example is probably the vest at neuro, University and NCMC are great for burns, Saint A's central is great for overall truama. They can all handle any patient, some are just better than others at certain ones. Helicopters will not go away, and it is upto the ground crews to use them intelligently.

Status
Not open for further replies.