Another math ? Capacitance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleonard

I am a rank beginner so please have patience with me. "Two capacitors valued at 400 and 600 uf consecutively are connected in series in an electric circuit. What is the value of its equivalent capacitance?
I know the answer is 240 uf but what I need to know is how to figure that. The math involved so I can reasonably answer a test question with different values. Thanks.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Take the reciprocal of both and add them together. Then get the reciprocal of that number.

1/400 +1/600 = 1/answer

1/400 = .0025
1/600 = .00166666667

.0025 + .00166666667 = .004166666667

1/.00416666667 = 240 (well 239.999999 (rounding here...))

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
400x600 240000
---------- = --------- = 240
400+600. 1000

Mike, you cheat. But that only works for two. Sum of the reciprocals always works with any number of caps in series (or resistance, inductance in parallel).

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Well, since he only asked about two, I figured I would give him the fastest way to the answer.

daveleonard

NF2G. I knew the answer by taking trial exams but I don't just want to memorize the answers I want to know the math so I can answer the question when posed with different values. Thanks Dave.

D

DaveNF2G

NF2G. I knew the answer by taking trial exams but I don't just want to memorize the answers I want to know the math so I can answer the question when posed with different values. Thanks Dave.

Good for you! We need new hams who actually understand the theory and rules. Keep on asking and learning.

Do any of the ham clubs near you offer licensing classes? Could be a big help if available for you.

daveleonard

Thanks NF2G, I took my Tech exam on April 5th and feel pretty good about it, will know in a couple of weeks. My XYL wants to take her 2 Meter DY Lic exam in Sept but we need to find an orientation Seminar here in the Philippines. We live on Camiguin Island. Clubs are spread pretty far apart here. I will be only the 2nd ham here on the island.
Thanks again, 73's Dave

daveleonard

There is a reciprocal between the US and the Philippines but my US lapsed in 2002 because I knew I would be coming to the Phils on a permanent basis and didn't know about the reciprocal. So now I have to start over, trying to remember all the stuff I forgot, with the tech license and then later in the summer the general license. The Philippines still has a beginner license called the DY license just for 2 meters, kinda like the old Novice Lic in the States. I should not have let my US lic expire but I needed a refresher anyway. The exams are pretty much the same except for a few rules and freq differences. The theory is all the same, never changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.