Another newb with an ft-60 needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason12085

Yep bought my first radio an ft-60 based on the fact that I kept reading it's a great radio. But now because I'm a newb I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I can just barely receive anything more than static except the weather. One of the things I was really hoping to do was also use it as sort of a scanner. I've looked up the emergency frequencies for my town/city (Keene,NH). But when I tune to those frequencies in the 150 range all I get are noises that are better suited to coming from an Atari 2600. What am I doing wrong or missing?

elk2370bruce

Public safety radio frequencies are set up as narrow band FM. Amateur radio normally operates on wide band. Further, most public safety radio uses are not a simplex system and involve both a TX and RX frequency plus the PL or DPL. More reading and research is needed to make the most use of your new radio.

coolbass

Premium Subscriber
Try 154.43 with a CTCSS of 136.5Hz. That is SWNH District Fire Mutual Aid. Also 159.45 with the same CTCSS, That is Keene Fire (dispatched from SWNHDFMA as well). You should be able to receive both of those well.
Keene PD is P25 which your FT-60 will not be able to receive (it will sound like buzzes and static).

Status
Not open for further replies.