Another one bites the dust ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
That Yaesu FT-450D was a nice compact rig. I almost bought one. Maybe I'll check the distributors to see if any of them have this rig still in inventory and at a reduced price for clearance. That would be sweet.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how many Universal had in stock, but they usually had one hooked up in their showroom when I visited pre-Wuhan.

--
Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That Yaesu FT-450D was a nice compact rig. I almost bought one. Maybe I'll check the distributors to see if any of them have this rig still in inventory and at a reduced price for clearance. That would be sweet.

Alinco DX-R8T SDR LW/MW/SW Amateur Radio Desktop Receivers
$398.95!

WA8ZTZ

AFAIK they were the last new tabletop SWL RX on the market.
The only new tabletops are wideband receivers with a big price tag.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
DX Engineering just might have picked up the last of the Alinco DX-R8Ts. Reading the ad I see "This is a special order item. When you complete your order, we will order it from the supplier." Luckily, I wouldn't have room on the table if I were to order one. :)

--
Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The only company left that is making HF desktop receivers is, to my knowledge, Palstar - their R30A. It's a good basic radio, but lacks a lot of features that you can get a lot cheaper in a SDR. A bit pricey, but that's in part due to it coming with 2 Collins filters already installed...

Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
The only company left that is making HF desktop receivers is, to my knowledge, Palstar - their R30A. ...

I had forgotten about Palstar as a maker of receivers. And I believe you are correct.

--
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah it looks like if you are looking for a desktop (apart from the R30A) this is the way to go. Fortunately most of the general coverage radios built into these ham sets are pretty decent performers...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually I'm not quite on the mark - one could make an argument about this radio, although some might classify it more as a portatop than a true desktop (and that's an argument that could be made)

And of course the new - and very pricey - wideband radios from Icom and AOR are HF capable....Mike

WA8ZTZ

Actually I'm not quite on the mark - one could make an argument about this radio, although some might classify it more as a portatop than a true desktop (and that's an argument that could be made)

And of course the new - and very pricey - wideband radios from Icom and AOR are HF capable....Mike

It's back... formerly known as the Satellit 750. They call it a portable but it will outperform most of them.
Also, most portables eat the AAs like they were potato chips. The 750 uses D cells and they last forever.
Larger speaker too, nice sound, not tinny like most portables. Overall a good looking radio, easy to use,
and provision for external antennas for all bands but it is no true communications receiver. Sensitivity is fine
but selectivity is lacking. IMHO at $400 it would be wiser to spend just a few dollars more and get the
Alinco DX-SR8T transceiver (which has a nice general coverage rx capability) while they are still available.

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it looks like if you are looking for a desktop (apart from the R30A) this is the way to go. Fortunately most of the general coverage radios built into these ham sets are pretty decent performers...Mike

I *thought* getting the IC-7300 would be an incentive for me to get my ticket. Hasn't quite worked out that way. :(

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Forget about HF/SW receivers, buy a transceiver for just a little more. Then if you decide to get your license you're good to go!

From the same article. "One would have to assume that this will also affect the DX-R8E (EU version) and eventually the DX-SR8T which is the transceiver version of this model." Not sure that Alinco transceiver will be available much longer. :(

--
Mike

Boombox

Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised at the discontinuations, actually. With propagation poor overall, SW stations going off the air, and the number of SWLs probably dwindling, combined with what seems to be the hearkening of a global recession, there is less and less call for tabletop and portatop receivers. It isn't the 1990's or early 00's anymore. We do have a good selection of portables still, which is a good thing.

Look for these discontinued models' NOS prices to skyrocket on the used circuit. That happens even with good AM-FM portables anymore.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Now they show this, but it doesn't seem to be in stock at a few places I checked. I wonder if the entire design is being phased out. Maybe something new coming?

DX-SR9T/E

Status
Not open for further replies.