Another One Bites The Dust

xmo

All Sarpy law agencies interop so plan on the encrypyion also being implemented for Bellevue PD, Papillion PD, and LaVista PD

xmo

People like to make predictions at the start of a new year, so here's mine:

The entire metro - including Douglas County Sheriff, Omaha PD, Pott County Sheriff and CBPD will switch to full time encryption this year.

My crystal ball does not see Washington or Dodge counties doing this.

scanomaha

Associated Press is reporting that the Sarpy County Sheriff will begin full time encryption on Monday.

Here is a local news clip on this matter>>>>

click here>>> Sarpy County Sheriff's Office encrypting emergency communications

Click here for the Story on KMTV

Sarpy County Sheriff's Office encrypting emergency communications

cm205

People like to make predictions at the start of a new year, so here's mine:

The entire metro - including Douglas County Sheriff, Omaha PD, Pott County Sheriff and CBPD will switch to full time encryption this year.

My crystal ball does not see Washington or Dodge counties doing this.

As I understand, Washington County already made provisions for a switch to encrypted law dispatch back in 2020. They just need to flip the switch, which will likely be done when the other ORION law users move forward.

scanomaha

Hopefully if enough people get upset ...(including local media)....and and use the freedom of information act to force them to be transparent and ONLY use encryption "as needed" for special situations...and keep most dispatch calls in the clear!!!! of course they need some encryption at certain times....BUT not all reg dispatch should be encrypted! imho.

xmo

scanomaha,

Sorry. FOI only allows access to specific records and delayed feeds mean nothing is hidden, hence no transparency issue.

In Nebraska, Lincoln paved the way with full time encryption. Their public survey only resulted in 30 or so concerned responses. Now, nobody even bothers with a survey. For the general public - either they don't care or they think it's a good idea.

Be thankful for the feeds. There are many places with encryption and no feed or access of any sort.

It will be interesting to see if anybody in Omaha even cares when they go encrypted (other than scanner owners)

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the news outlets and hospital admins, and tow truck operators will chime in.

Hospital Admins? The hospitals themselves have their very own talkgroups on the system, and there are several radios in the ER/Ambo bays for communicating patient info upon arrival. They are monitoring dispatch and are well aware of the calls being toned out.

Tow truck ops? Its illegal for them to possess a scanner in their trucks (Neb 28-1312) or to be dispatched or self-dispatch to a scene. PD/NSP use only certain tow companies who have contracts and meet certain criteria to work with them. Billy's Towing ain't just gonna be allowed to show up at a scene and start hooking up.

News media has had radios on the system.

xmo

NeFire242 - Well said

Hospitals are an integral part of the ORION communications system. Each ER staff monitors a talkgroup specific to that hospital. Every squad in the entire region has the ability to talk to any ER.

Specific contact protocols exist for PSAPs to engage one or more hospitals for major incidents. Bottom line - the hospitals won't even notice the transition to encrypted dispatch.

As to the media - if we were only talking about traditional media - TV & print, there might be a case for allowing them real time access but today we have all sorts of 'citizen' journalists with no judgement showing up at incidents and sticking their cellphone cameras right in the responders faces.

A few people's irresponsible actions are responsible for the trend to encryption to the detriment of the rest of us.

mmisk

Up here in cold dark snowy icy cold Ottawa, the entire fire comms went ENC on the P25 system.
Not much to listen to anymore except the provincial system, and they are rolling out a new fully encrypted system.
Even our new billion dollar LRT system turned on ENC to hide what they are doing from the taxpayers after they had serious problems that shut it down for weeks at a time.

TrunkKat

Premium Subscriber
This is very disappointing. My standing in the neighborhood just took a big hit as all my neighbors will no longer be texting me to tell them why the Sarps are across the street. Even still, it is important for us to know what is going on our neighborhoods to make informed decisions as to its safety. This is no longer possible especially being at the whim of a poorly written news media article that creates more confusion than accurately reporting the facts.

Rest in piece Sarpy Law Enforcement West